After training, life in the regiment field squad goes like this:
- Show up 0730 for parade.
- If PT day (3 days or more a week), then PT for a while, go back to shacks, change. Parade.
- Sit in cage until something to do. (Sweep floor, inspect vehicle, move some stuff around)
- Sit in cage until lunch time.
- If Wednesday then, regimental Parade at 0730, followed by safety talk, then SQ parade. Then sit in cage, possibly till lunch. Random takings tossed in here and there.
- Go to lunch. Return for Parade.
- Sit in cage.
- Normally about 30 minutes before you leave for the day (15:30 - 16:30 - sometimes much later) someone will come with last minute tasking. (Sweep the bay out, clean up some area, check some vehicle going to field)
- Repeat process next day.
Anything else from this involves training course, field prep or cleanup.
You might be wanting to do something, training, or anything but sit in the cage, but that will be difficult to do. Higher ups want to have people at their finger tips in case something comes up and you are needed for something. Probably a very similar story in most regiments.
Eventually you will reach the rank of MCpl and you will get to sit in the office area away from the No hook ranks. Spend most of your day in office area I assume. Unless there is training or field prep/cleanup.