• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Auto-connect and Predator text....

ArmyRick

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
So I wanted to start a thread about ridiculous things our phones have done. I call it Auto-connect (My phone gave me this instead of autocorrect when I was having a grumpy about autocorrect) and predator text (phone gave me this once when I was trying to say predictive texts).

So far my favorite one
Wifes Text "Anything else needed before I finish the grocery order?"
Me text "White supremacy"
Wifes text "??? Something your not telling me?"
Me Text "White SUGAR for the coffee, not white supremacy"

How in gods green earth did my iphone switch out white sugar to white supremacy?

Now my wifes text look something like this every week "Aside from white supremacy, what else do we need from groceries?"

My wife's co-worker (a nice black lady) bugs me with "Hey Rick, want some white supremacy in your coffee?"

Errrrrrrrr . It will be awhile before I live that one down.

What are stories of phone mishaps?

ArmyRick said:
So I wanted to start a thread about ridiculous things our phones have done. I call it Auto-connect (My phone gave me this instead of autocorrect when I was having a grumpy about autocorrect) and predator text (phone gave me this once when I was trying to say predictive texts).

So far my favorite one

How in gods green earth did my iphone switch out white sugar to white supremacy?

Now my wifes text look something like this every week "Aside from white supremacy, what else do we need from groceries?"

My wife's co-worker (a nice black lady) bugs me with "Hey Rick, want some white supremacy in your coffee?"

Currently don't have a phone,but I do have a tablet.
And it's autocorrect is quite frankly the reason I have basically stopped posting on well over a dozen varied forums.
I have also developed a intense cynicism about about any hope developing artificial intelligence...artificial stupidity on the other hand.

76779603_10156188851076525_1487281203907133440_n.jpg

ArmyRick said:

So far my favorite one

Glass half full? You're probably on an 'evil doers' database somewhere being monitored by the Department of Homeland Security now.

#itsnotparanoidiftheyareactuallyouttogetyou

:)

I blame Army.ca for a recent propensity of my devices to suggest "far right"  language, websites and youtube videos.  Just like an infant whose environment forms his development, so too has the nascent machine learning of my phone and laptop been influenced by following discussions that often stray into debate of whether a public figure's action is or isn't racist.

And, who says "white sugar"?  The rest of the world calls the white variety just "sugar"; it's only the less refined varieties that have a modifier, i.e. "brown sugar".  Or is it racist to judge them on their colour?  :tsktsk:

ooops. Maybe the sugar chooses not to identify as sugar at all? Maybe it prefers Crystalized sugar cane? I should not assume such things. Bad me. Rick fail bad at political correctness.

New one. Today. 0800 HRS. My oldest son was running late for school.
Wife text
"Is Domdoodle ready to go yet?"
Dummy (thats me) text
"Almost. He is getting drunk"
Wife text
"wtf?"
Dummy text
"Dressed not drunk"

Back