• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Australia may boost Afghan force

big bad john

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5207174.stm

Australia may boost Afghan force 

Troops in Afghanistan are facing an increasing threat of attack
Australia is considering sending more troops to Afghanistan amid a deteriorating security situation there, Australia's defence minister says.
Brendan Nelson said 120 troops could be sent to bolster security for a 240-strong reconstruction team being deployed later this month.

"The threat level... [has] been increasing substantially over the last few months," he told a TV interviewer.

Australia currently has about 300 troops in Afghanistan.

In January, a new deployment of 110 troops was sent to "fight terrorism", joining 190 special forces already in the country.

Later in July a team of 240 engineers and soldiers will be sent to Afghanistan's troubled Uruzgan province, to work alongside Dutch troops on a reconstruction project.

Mr Nelson said he was "very concerned" about escalating violence, particularly in the south of Afghanistan, and had discussed the deployment with the Australian defence force.

"I think there is an argument for us increasing the close ground force protection of our reconstruction taskforce," Mr Nelson said.

Are the Australians going to supplament the Dutch with engineering services? Is there any more provinces where there are 2 NATO members combining forces?

I'd love to hear that too GAP, i'm out of the loop here. I know that blokes are going over but no idea of the numbers and why.
WES!!!! Can you hear us? Come quick.

Back