• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aussies considering cancelling Seasprite project

Armymatters

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.smh.com.au/news/NATIONAL/Govt-to-blame-for-chopper-problems-ALP/2006/05/15/1147545231093.html
Wow, this sounds worst than the much maligned Victoria subs we have. Wonder who was the bright lightbulb in Australia to buy ex-US Navy Seasprites and refurbish them, as the New Zealanders bought theirs brand new and haven't seen the same issues as they are facing. Not able to fly these helos in any safe operational conditions, hench now they are permenantly grounded for the time being? Yikes.

Armymatters said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/NATIONAL/Govt-to-blame-for-chopper-problems-ALP/2006/05/15/1147545231093.html
Wow, this sounds worst than the much maligned Victoria subs we have. Wonder who was the bright lightbulb in Australia to buy ex-US Navy Seasprites and refurbish them, as the New Zealanders bought theirs brand new and haven't seen the same issues as they are facing. Not able to fly these helos in any safe operational conditions, hence now they are permanently grounded for the time being? Yikes.

I am no fan of the Seasprite project, but your facts are not entirely correct.

New Zealand's are not new. They are old, and as far as combat goes, they are VERY limited in their use (kind of like their frigates).

Ours are old airframes but we (stupidly) tried to replace all the mechanical...stuff... (what do you want from me, I'm no aero tech) and put in a new combat system, thereby giving us "super" sea sprites. At least we still have Seahawks.

Well apparently the mechanics are rooted 6 ways from Sunday, due to safety reasons they cannot carry the extra fuel tank and a missile or torp at the same time, and the combat system wont work in conjunction with our ships.

The really sad part is we shouldn't have bought them in the first place.

We were meant to buy offshore patrol vessels that only had hangar room for a small helo, yet when the OPV project was cut, some genius decided to go ahead with the Super Sea Sprite Order rather than buy more Seahawks (which would have been quicker, less risky, cheaper in both procurement and support, and they are actually decent helos). The plan was place the SSS's on the Anzacs frigates and the seahawks on the FFG's. But its 2006 and both our Frigate classes use Seahawks.

I'm hoping we just cut the SeaSprite project dead now, and go on to buy NH-90's (to replace the kings and sprites, whilst working with the hawks). We are already buying MRH-90's for the army, so the Naval variant would be perfect for both the RAN's ASW and utility requirements.

All in all the Sea Sprite was not the smartest thing that an Australian government has ever paid for. A totally un-necessary purchase. Makes me ticked off really, take notice people of what happens when departmental types force through projects that the military objects to, 11 years of agony ending up with nothing to show for it.

edit- the Lynx was also in the running against the Seasprite, some Lynx's flying off RAN decks would have been good to see.

My god No! It cant be true! The Australian Army making a completely un-necessary purchase without completely thinking through the consequences?!? I never would have thought!?!? You mean that our government dont always think completely think through their decisions? You mean that we'r buying the Seasprite because buying American gear shows the American government that we really are a good "loyal" ally, even though something from somewhere else works better or is more applicable to our situation?...ARRRR-Leopard II-CHOO, sorry, that annoying sneeze of mine. You mean that in our quest to show that we'r serious about our military capabilities we'v rushed this project and now have dug ourselves into so deep a hole that a battalion of Engineers with bobcats and mining equipment couldnt dig us out without blowing a few more millions on the original budget?
Actually, thinking about it i'm not actually that surprised! Shock Horror! But as i always have to say, I'm just a young dig who knows very little about anything outside my drivers hole. It does seem that like many other armies ours rush into things sometimes and just hope that it'll be alright, of course we'r still a great military, but i'd like to be a bit more like the Canadians, they may be snuggled up close to the Yanks, but they dont just buy what they'r told, they make sensible decisions on kit from all over the world, well, usually sensible decisions!

Trooper Hale said:
My god No! It cant be true! The Australian Army making a completely un-necessary purchase without completely thinking through the consequences?!? I never would have thought!?!? You mean that our government dont always think completely think through their decisions? You mean that we'r buying the Seasprite because buying American gear shows the American government that we really are a good "loyal" ally, even though something from somewhere else works better or is more applicable to our situation?...ARRRR-Leopard II-CHOO, sorry, that annoying sneeze of mine. You mean that in our quest to show that we'r serious about our military capabilities we'v rushed this project and now have dug ourselves into so deep a hole that a battalion of Engineers with bobcats and mining equipment couldnt dig us out without blowing a few more millions on the original budget?
Actually, thinking about it i'm not actually that surprised! Shock Horror! But as i always have to say, I'm just a young dig who knows very little about anything outside my drivers hole. It does seem that like many other armies ours rush into things sometimes and just hope that it'll be alright, of course we'r still a great military, but i'd like to be a bit more like the Canadians, they may be snuggled up close to the Yanks, but they dont just buy what they'r told, they make sensible decisions on kit from all over the world, well, usually sensible decisions!

As a "young dig", shouldn't you know that it was the Navy, not the Army which the Seasprites were purchased for (and against RAN wishes).

Sorry mate, i should have written "department of defence" instead of Australian Army. My mistake, i do beg your forgiveness. I did actually realise it was a navy thing, the SEAsprite bit pretty well gives it away. I just wrote Army instead of defence. Although I did say government a few times in there i think. As a "Navy man" (or a member of the "Puss" as we like to say) shouldnt you realise that we digs arent as smart as you?

Back