• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aussie soldiers injured in Afghanistan

big bad john

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/aussie-soldiers-injured-in-afghanistan/2006/07/20/1153166515380.html

Aussie soldiers injured in Afghanistan
Email Print Normal font Large font July 20, 2006 - 7:36PM

Advertisement
AdvertisementAustralian soldiers have received minor injuries during military action in southern Afghanistan.

The Defence Department tonight confirmed Australian soldiers had been injured, but refused to give further details.

AAP understands three soldiers had to be evacuated for medical treatment after a firefight on July 17.

Australia has 300 troops in Afghanistan, with another a 200-member Provincial Reconstruction Team to be deployed this month.

Australian Special Air Service Regiment troops already have exchanged fire with anti-government forces in Oruzgan province, and defence force chief Angus Houston warned in February of a rising incidence of suicide bombings.

Southern Afghanistan was the stronghold of the Taliban until late 2001, when their government was ousted as a result of US-led attacks.

Since then, Taliban forces have targeted coalition and Afghan troops and have stepped up attacks over the past year.

Earlier this week, Afghan and US-led coalition soldiers reclaimed two southern towns that had been overrun by the Taliban.

Hundreds of ground forces were involved in reclaiming the town of Garmser, while earlier troops had been required to root out Taliban militants from Naway-i-Barakzayi.

Aid agencies have reported that thousands of residents have been forced to flee their homes because of the battles.

I post them as I find them.  We are all one big family now aren't we, and when one get hurt, well enough said.

Back