• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aussie Army may accept below-par choppers

big bad john

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Army-may-accept-belowpar-choppers/2006/05/23/1148150256239.html

Army may accept below-par choppers
May 23, 2006 - 9:40PM

The army may accept up to six Tiger armed reconnaissance helicopters (ARH) that don't meet its specifications, a parliamentary committee has heard.

Defence agreed to take some helicopters which are not quite up to scratch without any record of proposed changes in writing, the committee was told.

Colin Cronin, from the Australian National Audit Office (ANAO), told a Senate estimates committee that the first ARH that would meet the government's requirements would be number seven.

But Finance Minister Nick Minchin denied it meant the project was a dud.

Labor frontbencher Chris Evans asked what it would take to actually make a project a dud.

"Everything on the bloody thing doesn't work," he said.

An ANAO report earlier this month found that early aircraft failed to meet 14 airworthiness requirements for weight, engine power, crash resistance, ability to fly over water and weapons system performance.

The most important problem appears to be with the electronics, which means Tigers cannot yet operate at night or in bad weather in Australian civil aviation airspace.

Defence has provisionally accepted some Tigers but with limitations on their operation including a requirement that they may only be flown by instructors and experienced aircrew.

The committee also heard that Defence had agreed with the manufacturer to alter the specifications, but the agreement was not detailed in writing.

Mr Cronin told the committee that in February 2006 the Defence Materiel Organisation (DMO) had informed the ANAO of changed specifications from the original December 2001 contract for the Tigers.

However, there was nothing in writing to detail the changes.

© 2006 AAP

Does Australia have the same patronage problems Canada seems to have suffered from in the past in regards to suppliers?? ;)

The UK had a somewhat similar problem with some CC130s just recently. They did not meet UK updated specs. AFAIK, the CDS said "gimmie" and bugger the specs. (another thread around about that little incident).

Why does everyone think that we are the only ones who go thru this stuff?

Ah, it makes me proud, I'm a member of a defence organisation that seems to think a picture and a verbal guarantee ("Oh yeah...it works dead good, whats that? You want to be able to fire missle's? They're overated, dont worry about them") is proof enough for them. SHOCK HORROR, they rush into things and dont think through their decisions regarding our capabilities, just as long as they can say we've got those capabilities. I mean seriously, what are we doing? The Tiger and the SeaSprite? Bought, bumpled and wasting money. They'r probably still going to work and work well, we tend to improvise and make things happen, but to have the first 6 being techinically useless and the government still saying that doesnt make them a dud, its genuinly funny, especially with Chris Evens response.
We need Wes! Come back from Pucka mate and make an impact on this forum!
Have you Canucks got anything thats this out of control? Any Chopper skeletons in the closet? It seems we could lend you some! ;)

Trooper Hale said:
Any Chopper skeletons in the closet? It seems we could lend you some! ;)

You're f$%cking joking, right?  ::) The CF invented the Amityville Hangar.

And another stuff up by the Defence Material Organisation at the cost of mere billions to the Australian taxpayer  ::)
Not to mention the effects this will have on operational effectivness.

Why cant DMO seem to get their act together?

Of course the incompetence of a largely civilian body affects the image of the entire ADF to the point where the ignorant civilian cant distinguish that incompetence in procurment by bean counters doesn't equal incompetence in the field. But try telling the lefties that.

Great now I've gone off on a rant.

Duh...I guess we're not the only ones...Kim Campbel will be proud  :eek:

One of my primary talents is contract-writing and I've never understood how these procurement deals don't include protection for the buying nation from sub-standard work, late delivery, etc. with penalty clauses in concert with deposit schedules that hold-back large portions of the purchase price until after delivery and certification.

Is it just that the government representatives in these negotiations don't know what they need to be demanding, or what?

Matthew.  ???

Cdn Blackshirt said:
One of my primary talents is contract-writing and I've never understood how these procurement deals don't include protection for the buying nation from sub-standard work, late delivery, etc. with penalty clauses in concert with deposit schedules that hold-back large portions of the purchase price until after delivery and certification.

Is it just that the government representatives in these negotiations don't know what they need to be demanding, or what?

Or maybe these government reps are hoping to find employment with said company after doing their "20". The job interview might not be so friendly if "you" were the guy who insisted on all these provisions being in place.....

BTW this isn't a slam at just defence contractors. I once came across an article which pointed out a member of the city staff (City of London, ON.) quit the city shortly after the deal was signed for the John Labatt Centre hockey arena/entertainment complex, and was working for that organization soon afterwards. He was being paid by the taxpayers before, and since the taxpayers are absorbing all the costs/losses of the complex today we can say he is still being paid for by the taxpayers of London.

a_majoor said:
Or maybe these government reps are hoping to find employment with said company after doing their "20". The job interview might not be so friendly if "you" were the guy who insisted on all these provisions being in place.....

BTW this isn't a slam at just defence contractors. I once came across an article which pointed out a member of the city staff (City of London, ON.) quit the city shortly after the deal was signed for the John Labatt Centre hockey arena/entertainment complex, and was working for that organization soon afterwards. He was being paid by the taxpayers before, and since the taxpayers are absorbing all the costs/losses of the complex today we can say he is still being paid for by the taxpayers of London.

Funny example....I'm looking at the JLC from my office window right now....

Matthew.  ;D

Back