• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Attack at Glasgow Airport

Trinity

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/06/30/london.alert/index.html

reproduced under fair dealings/trade act... thing..

LONDON, England (CNN) -- A burning car has been rammed into the terminal building of Glasgow Airport in Scotland, triggering a new terror scare with the UK already on alert over the discovery of two cars loaded with the explosive materials in London.

Police and witnesses described an SUV-style vehicle in flames being driven at full speed towards the building.

Two people were arrested at the scene, police said in a statement. It was not immediately clear whether there were any injuries, although unconfirmed witness reports described a man on fire at the scene.

Images showed black smoke and flames rising from the vehicle just outside the building.

Witnesses said the car crashed into security barriers protecting an entrance to the airport's international arrivals terminal.

A witness told Sky News that a man had fled from the car as it struck the building and been immediately wrestled to the ground by police.

"The jeep is completely on fire and it exploded not long after. It exploded at the entrance to the terminal," one witness, Stephen Clarkson, told the BBC.

"It may have been an explosion of petrol in the tank because it was not a massive explosion."

Witnesses tell of airport horror
Airport authorities said the airport, Scotland's busiest, had been evacuated and all flights suspended.

In London police were examining two cars filled with fuel, gas canisters and nails and studying CCTV footage for clues about the identities of those behind a suspected terrorist plot that could have killed hundreds.

Officers have a "crystal clear" CCTV image of a man "staggering" from the first car after parking it outside a West End nightclub, ABC News in the United States reported. Scotland Yard refused to comment.

New Prime Minister Gordon Brown went to Scotland Yard on Saturday morning for an update on the investigation from senior police.

A Downing Street spokesman told the Press Association: "It was a private meeting. Mr. Brown was briefed on the current security situation and thanked frontline staff."

edit - cleaning up the cut and paste

same subject (BBC) :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/6257194.stm

Hmm, one has to wonder, are these the terrorists who graduated that terror camp in Pakistan, and are the ones who had to go to the UK to attack them? We may never know this though. Of course, this may be totally separate from the bombs and such.

Apparently there's something going on at Ibiza in Spain. (How dare they ruin party spot in the world?)

Dunno if it's terrorist loonies, or just random whackjobs.

In Spain, it's the ETA ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6256944.stm

pictures: Glasgow alert

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6257388.stm

Hey guys, before we go and put this in the box marked "Terrorism" lets get the whole story. Right now it's just a vehicle that was on fire hitting a building, then have it's gas tank pop from the heat. Had there been explosives on board, there would have been a lot more damage.

And let's face it, a tank of gasoline tucked under the arse end of an 1800 kilogram vehicle doesn't make the most effective "terrorist bomb".

Brockvegas said:
Hey guys, before we go and put this in the box marked "Terrorism" lets get the whole story. Right now it's just a vehicle that was on fire hitting a building,

Uh huh

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/06/30/london.alert/index.html
ibed an SUV-style vehicle in flames being driven at full speed toward the building.

Witness Jackie Kennedy told the BBC that a man got out of the car, went to the back and pulled out a can of fuel, which he poured on himself and ignited.

"The guy was in flames and seemed to be enjoying himself," Kennedy said.

This.... after two POORLY constructed car bombs the day before... 
Who's to say this isn't just another poorly constructed bomb.

It's no accident.  At the very least a political statement, very worst it was meant to kill.
I think Terrorism at the moment is a fair application of the word.

Brockvegas said:
And let's face it, a tank of gasoline tucked under the arse end of an 1800 kilogram vehicle doesn't make the most effective "terrorist bomb".

Do you want to be within 0-50 metres from when it cooks, or walking by it with children or an infant in your arms????  Not me!

It is effective, it puts fear in people, and if it kills one person, its done its job.

Wes

Wesley  Down Under said:
Do you want to be within 0-50 metres from when it cooks, or walking by it with children or an infant in your arms????  Not me!

It is effective, it puts fear in people, and if it kills one person, its done its job.

Wes

Big +1 to Wes.

The biggest weapon terrorists have is FEAR, they get it by any attack that the media covers...

There's a bunch of stuff on the net just now but Hot Air seems to be doing a good job of keeping up.

http://hotair.com/archives/2007/06/30/breaking-car-on-fire-drives-into-glasgow-airport-terminal/

This report from "The Scotsman" newspaper (via Hot Air) is interesting - the Police are looking for an Iraqi who has just escaped the monitoring of a control order 11 days ago.  Control Orders are being used to detain at large undesirables that the government wants to deport but the courts won't let them.  They were introduced because the courts said that detention was too severe as well.

Edit:  Deleting all the rest - waaaay too much confusion in the reports.

My apologies folks. Wes, Trinity, you are both 100% correct.

My post was in response to the news story quoted at the begining of this thread, without doing any research on the details myself.

Now that I've made myself look like a complete jackass, I'm going to see my doctor about having this foot removed from my mouth.

And just hitting the news now ...

Authorities have just made arrests in connection with yesterdays incident at the airport ...

will post links when available.

It may be telling that these guys are so incompetent.....50 gal of gas in an SUV?  (that's a typical Escalade), and nails?  What they will get is a burning car with red hot hails sitting in it.  No more dangerous than a Ford Pinto. And, if they want to make these suicide attacks, THEY will be the only ones killed.  Better for them to be  coming out of the woodwork doing these incompetent, failed attacks than planning bigger ones.....also we get to nab some to interrogate.

They apparently had partially full jeffy cans rapped with nails (the airspace in the Jerry makes the fumes and they explode)
  Still spectacular to the reactions -- and next time they will use Diesel and Ammonia Nitrate Fertilizer...
But that said -- while an Arab can buy a bit of gas and siphon it out and go around getting gas -- how conspicuous do you think a person of Middle Eastern decent will be at the local UFA buying a few hundred kilo's of Fertilizer and then pouring it in to a diesel tank and making a slurry out of it?

They apparently had partially full jeffy cans rapped with nails (the airspace in the Jerry makes the fumes and they explode

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Even still, relatively small explosive energy and , within the steel car body, likely not the best for getting the nails outside under any sort of velocity.  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to  see such incompetence....and the fact that the authorities are right on top of tings with no innocent ppl hurt.
But it does make you wonder:  are these just independent "I'm mad as hell and not gonna take it anymore Brit radicals doing things on their own?  or is this a signal that the UK based terrorists are either just plain incompetent or can't get a hold of anything more dangerous?

Anyway, with the arrests, I hope they get good int.

I think its a sign that the Al-Q ver 4.1 is here.  Loosely controlled entities with a general guiding point -- GO OUT AND KILL CHRISTIANS.  They dont have a lot of technical know how, just desire.  The older ealier versions dont favour rash attacks, and do not conduct attacks unless they have a high probability of sucess, AND very importantly, they will be as spectacular an attack as previous, or greater.  Part of the problem with the sucess of the 9/11 attacks is that its a hell of a hard act to follow.  What do you do for an encore?

So while the early cells have more funding and training, they are also more cautious, waiting for the "big hit", the more brash later groups, go out and still it up on their own.

They could have killed more people with their car alone -- but "deranged man kills 17 with car" does not get the same headlines as flaming wreckage even with less fatalities.

From Juan Cole (OK, OK, he's a lefty):

"Recent reports I hear at CNN suggest to me that suicide was more central to this Glasgow operation than usual in such attacks. The perpetrators are said to have doused themselves with gasoline. This was not in fact like Iraq, where the idea was to take as many Shiites with them as possible. Here, their methods were not in fact likely to cause much or any loss of life among others (gasoline is not a high explosive) but were guaranteed to kill them. It is said that they resisted being rescued.

I've learned, though, it is dangerous to read too much into initial reports."

I6 may be right, but it is too early to tell for sure. If he is correct, this is really bad news. The threat has no fear of, in fact welcomes death, especially if he or she can kill some infidels at the same time.

We can all work out the advantages for the bad guys. Frankly I can't think of too many good points for our side in this. The question is how does the government in a liberal, democratic society cope with this sort of campaign?

Old Sweat said:
I6 may be right, but it is too early to tell for sure. If he is correct, this is really bad news. The threat has no fear of, in fact welcomes death, especially if he or she can kill some infidels at the same time.

We can all work out the advantages for the bad guys. Frankly I can't think of too many good points for our side in this. The question is how does the government in a liberal, democratic society cope with this sort of campaign?

Frankly, we have to lose some of our "liberal democratic" tomfoolery....we (the west) have bent over backwards in the last 30 or so years to accommodate an influx of different cultures/beliefs, but we try to maintain the fiction we are an open society....we are not...we are basically a Judea Christian society and everything is orientated around that....it's time we got back to basics and said that if you do not wish to live within our society and its' rules and laws and precepts, then move on...

Back