• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Athabasca Univ./Online Courses

lennoj

Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
Out of curiosity; would there any Reg Force or P.Res class B members that have taken any correspondence/online courses through Athabasca Univ? I am mainly interested in those who have completed a course or a degree via correspondence or online that may have some good advice or reviews to give.

Thank you,

I have taken several courses through Athabasca.  They are a great option if you can't attend classes at a Uni in your town.

They generally extend courses indefinitely for soldiers wether it is for domestic issues or if you deploy overseas.  The key is to get the BPSO to contact their office and it is done.  They also send exams overseas to be administered by the BPSO.  I've written several exams overseas without a problem.    Their tutoring and call center are top notch.  I have rarely waited longer than 2 days for a response to any question I've sent.

The downside is on some courses is information overload.  Most Uni texts have tons of information and for you to filter through it even using end chapters questions to pinpoint key ideas can be hard at times.  Without having a professor that in class emphasizes you can get overwhelmed.  Athabasca gets around this by having some great discussion forums for students and the course manager/prof to ask and answers questions.  Somes courses are better taken at a Uni vs taking through correspondence IMHO.

I've done my into computer course through them. I found the instructor very good, and the material turn around time excellent.

Though not through Athabaska, I did take 2 Distance Education courses over the summer while on OJT. My experience is as follows:

First, for the sake of understanding, both courses were math courses, and thus were paper submissions via mail, and late submissions were not allowed (date submitted is determined by postmarking).

Honestly, a full-time work schedule does limit how many courses one can take concurrently. I took 2 and my grades were fine but could have been better, and I certainly could not imagine taking more than 2 while working full-time. Schedule wise, I did have some free time, though I did miss the odd TGIT/TGIF due to an assignment deadline. Luckily, I can study in front of the TV, so it wasn't all bad. Personally, I've found full-time course loads in sit-down classes to be more manageable than full-time work and part-time studies.

Another note is that if you're scheduling to write your exam at a W/BSPO office, make sure you schedule it well in advance. I scheduled my exam write date about 3 weeks prior, and I got bit by the WPSO office invigilator taking leave starting the day I wanted to write, and thus resulted in me writing my exam a day early... with 1 days notice since they couldn't find a replacement.

I am working towards my Bachelor of Business Administration through Athabasca and I am in the PRes.

MJP has summed it up pretty good and I agree it has been very smooth going so far.

I work at RMC in the Continuing Education Divison... and I take my DL University courses with Athabasca ;) They are awesome. By far - the most flexible and accomidating...
For College level courses I use Loyalist College.
but... I didn't say that ;)

I'm no longer reg or PRES, but I've taken a few courses at Athabasca.

No serious issues, but if you're deployed without a lot of 'Net time, you may want to look at Individual Study courses vs online courses. The online ones tend to require a couple of hours a day online going over assignments etc. Even if you take individual study courses you can still submit your assignments by email.

Any particular program you're looking at?

drunknsubmrnr said:
Any particular program you're looking at?

I am mainly interested in their Governance BA, or Industrial Relations BA just to add another piece of paper to the wall...

Which courses/programs have you taken - or any pointers on optionals that are a breeze without exams?

Thank you to the rest of you who offered the helpful insight and to MJP for taking his time to make that post :)

Cheers,

Something IMPORTANT for people to look into, if it fits into their career goals...

-  I am just finishing up my Bach. in Criminal Justice, in the hopes of going officer - and was told by my local CFRC that Athabasca University is not recognized.  Soooooo...here I thought I was going to re-enlist in the officer ranks, and nadda.  Even though I have a degree.

Anybody know why Athabasca University doesn't qualify you to go officer???

CBH99 said:
-  I am just finishing up my Bach. in Criminal Justice, in the hopes of going officer - and was told by my local CFRC that Athabasca University is not recognized.  Soooooo...here I thought I was going to re-enlist in the officer ranks, and nadda.  Even though I have a degree.

Anybody know why Athabasca University doesn't qualify you to go officer???

In order to answer the question, I would need to know which officer occupation you want.  From your post, I would assume you want MP Officer.  Check with the CFRC, as some occupations require specific degrees, and it may be that the Criminal Justice degree from Athabasca University does not meet the specific occupational requirements.

However, I cannot see any reason why the degree would not qualify for other occupations.  Note that there are preferred degrees and acceptable degrees for many occupations - anyone with access to the DWAN can pull them out, or you can discuss with the CFRC staff.

Some occupations will accept a degree from any accredited university  - which generally means that they are members of the Association of Universitys and Colleges of Canada - AUCC.  University of Athabasca is a member.

BCOG 

I've taken general business, math and computer science courses. I've never heard of any without exams...usually they have 1 or 2.

I know this is a really old topic, but I have questions about Athabasca University for anyone with experience with the institution.

For their undergraduate programs, can you complete them by doing one subject at a time? Or do you have to enroll into the complete undergraduate program.

I'm asking for financial reasons.  I can't afford a lump-sum payment of $26k for a degree, but spread out for individual classes, it is more manageable.  Or would it be better to apply for a student loan?

stealthylizard said:
I know this is a really old topic, but I have questions about Athabasca University for anyone with experience with the institution.

For their undergraduate programs, can you complete them by doing one subject at a time? Or do you have to enroll into the complete undergraduate program.

I'm asking for financial reasons.  I can't afford a lump-sum payment of $26k for a degree, but spread out for individual classes, it is more manageable.  Or would it be better to apply for a student loan?

Like most universities you only pay for the course(s) you currently are taking.

Back