• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

At what point does my CF pay kick in?

NavyHopeful

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I did a search on this, and couldn't find anything that was close to what I was looking for.  Lots of questions about deployment pay, but nothing regarding my questions, which is:

I swore in on June 3rd, 2011.  I am on LWOP until I report for BMQ on July 9Th, 2011.  I know that the CF pays on the 15Th and the last day of each month.  What I would like to know is will they pay me on the 15Th for the days I have accrued from the 9Th of July until the 15Th of July, or will they just default my pay until the 31st of July because they are already giving me an advance on my pay, and they have to deduct my double pension payment.  I doubt there would be anything left anyways.

If anyone knows the proper procedure for this, it would be welcome, because I have to budget for my wife and my new baby when I leave for BMQ...

Thanks everyone.

Cheers,

Rev

You pay is not likely to kick in in time for the 15th pay. In that case, you will backpaid on the next run.

OK... good to know...

Thanks for the quick answer CDN Aviator...

I can tell the wife to stock up on baby stuff for the month of July then...

Rev

Occam said:
Double pension payment?

I was told, by the little sheet they gave me that because I am on LWOP, I do not get paid (obviously).  But because I am now a member of the CF, my pension deductions are applicable from the moment I swear in until the moment I discharge.

Seeing as I do not get paid for the time I am on LWOP (again, obviously) my pension deductions are banked until I get my pay.  This means that if I go one pay period on LWOP, I owe that deduction for my pension, as well as the deduction for the pay period I get paid for.  I will be LWOP for 36 days... so I will likely have to make double payments for my pension for 2 or 3 pay periods until my pension fund is topped off to where it is supposed to be...

It's confusing as hell, but I understand what they were talking about when they told us.  They just didn't tell us how the breakdown of our first pay would be (IE: if we get the full amount, or if they figure out what the per Diem rate is for our salary, and pay it for the number of days from reporting to St. Jean until the pay date, in my case, 7 days instead of 15 days)

I'm going to double check what CDN Aviator has told me, but I'm going to plan for that scenario in any case.  Better to plan for worst-case than best-case.

Rev

NavyHopeful said:
(IE: if we get the full amount,

There is no "full amount" to pay you. Your pay starts being calculated on the day you start BMQ so you get paid what you have earned starting the 7th. You do not get paid a full month "just because". If you were in the CF 23 days, you don't get paid for 30.

I highly doubt that you pay will be input into the system and kicked in by the 15th. It is far more likely that you will receive your furst pay at the end of the month and it will encompass the time from the 7th onwards.

CDN Aviator said:
There is no "full amount" to pay you. Your pay starts being calculated on the day you start BMQ so you get paid what you have earned starting the 7th. You do not get paid a full month "just because". If you were in the CF 23 days, you don't get paid for 30.

I highly doubt that you pay will be input into the system and kicked in by the 15th. It is far more likely that you will receive your furst pay at the end of the month and it will encompass the time from the 7th onwards.

That's what I thought, as well, but it never hurts to get confirmation.  Please don't be offended, but I'll check with my CFRC tomorrow, but, like I said, I'll plan for the holdback, and expect the per diem (minus the advance of $220) for the pay date of the 31st July.

Thanks for the valuable info, CDN Aviator.  And if you get any more info on this, or if you know of any other things that would be available to my wife and newborn son while I'm away at BMQ, just let me know.  I will search on here, but if you know of any from personal experience, could you let me know.  I get to be a new recruit and a new daddy, all in the same week, and I'm running in circles trying to make sure everything is tied up and squared away before I leave.

Thanks again.

Rev

Unless it has changed, your first pay will be at the end of the month, and since you are married, you will get $800 in your account. Single guys get $600. You will get another $800 mid-month on the following month. Again, $600 for the single guys. At the end of the following month (your 3rd pay check), you will get back payed any outstanding amounts owed. If you are looking for amounts, check with your RMS Clerk for your platoon. Make sure you ask your staff for permission to see the clerks. This is the only way you will get to see them. The back pay amount will depend upon your location, as you may receive PLD as well. Plus you get separation pay, unless that has changed. However, that goes in as a separate deposit. Hope this information helps. After you have been in the CF for 6 months, you qualify for Parental leave although I would recommend not taking it. I just had a baby 3 months ago, and have no intention on taking Parental leave at any point. It ends up being more of a headache that it is worth. (Messes with your pension, tax deductions, etc, which leaves you with a huge tax bill at the end of the year...)

Sunlitbeauty said:
Unless it has changed, your first pay will be at the end of the month, and since you are married, you will get $800 in your account. Single guys get $600. You will get another $800 mid-month on the following month. Again, $600 for the single guys. At the end of the following month (your 3rd pay check), you will get back payed any outstanding amounts owed. If you are looking for amounts, check with your RMS Clerk for your platoon. Make sure you ask your staff for permission to see the clerks. This is the only way you will get to see them. The back pay amount will depend upon your location, as you may receive PLD as well. Plus you get separation pay, unless that has changed. However, that goes in as a separate deposit. Hope this information helps. After you have been in the CF for 6 months, you qualify for Parental leave although I would recommend not taking it. I just had a baby 3 months ago, and have no intention on taking Parental leave at any point. It ends up being more of a headache that it is worth. (Messes with your pension, tax deductions, etc, which leaves you with a huge tax bill at the end of the year...)

Well thank you so much for that little gem...  My wife has actually asked me if I was going to take any parental leave...  I told her I didn't want to take the time from my training, but if I could find a way to slip a week of vacation in here and there, that I'd see what I could do...

I let her know this new info...  hopefully she'll stop bugging me (about this, anyways...)  ::)

Rev

Sunlitbeauty said:
I would recommend not taking it. I just had a baby 3 months ago, and have no intention on taking Parental leave at any point. It ends up being more of a headache that it is worth. (Messes with your pension, tax deductions, etc, which leaves you with a huge tax bill at the end of the year...)

PATA is not a huge headache at all - the CF is very good at processing your pay.  It does not "mess with your pension" at all - every day on PATA is pensionable.  Your tax bill should be just fine at the end of the year - remember that you are now writing off your newborn as well as your wife.  I have taken PATA for both of my children and have cherished every moment of it.  The CF cannot deny you PATA - there isn't a CO alive that would be so stupid to do it - they may try and make waves for you, but they have no leg to stand on.

Back