• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

assault rifles

:-[  I am a Infanteer not a novelist.

I'll edit it again  :p

is the M-14 still in service? Probobly- no, but ive seen pictures with the marines using them recently, im assuming that is for ceremonial/parade use?

M-14 still in service.  Mostly is use with spec ops or spec ops capable units.  The Marines issued them with a new pistol grip stock and Leupold scope back a few years ago to their NBC threat/warfare units.  They are starting to see more use as a designated marksman weapon also.

I might once again be mistaken, but don't some snipers in the United States Military use the M14, as well as some other combat units.

The M14 is in service the 82 took them to Afghan and Iraq at the squad level as a DM gun.

The USMC tried to make a M25 DMR out of it but found as they ARmy has that you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.  The M14 can be an excelletn weapon - but it requires the FULL time attanetion of an armourer.

The USMC has adopted the KAC Mk11 Mod1 as its Platoon DM gun (and the SAM a 5.56mm 20" KAC upper) as its Squad Advanced MArksman Rifle - the M25's are few and far ebwteen and will be removed as soon as possible.

The Same goes with the ARMY - they now have a 20" and 18" DM weapon system (only USSOC has the Mk12 SPR's) in 5.56mm they are fielding and limited numbers of AR10T's (KAC cannot keep up with demand so the AR10 is beign fielded as a semi-reasonable handdrwan faximilie...

I might once again be mistaken, but don't some snipers in the United States Military use the M14, as well as some other combat units.

M21D

Not a great rifle for sniper work.

Yes you are indeed mistaken,the M14 doesn't cut the mustard as a sniper rifle,it never did as it was a maintenance intensive piece of kit that required constant attention.The current issued DMR are not sniper rifles,they are used to take out targets  at longer ranges than an M4 can,that's it. As it stands now the entire US Army has less than 100 barrels left for the M14 and are run out of spare parts,once these rifles are worn out/broken that's it no more.

Is the C7CT being used in the Canadian Army as the equivalent of the US SPR ie as a DMR system at the section/platoon level, or as a spotter's weapon in sniper teams (or both?). Also there was a picture of an AR-10 in Canadian service posted a few months ago- where is this weapon being used?

Right now there are 18 AR10T's and 12 (IIRC) C7CT's in the CF (conventional forces) If you've seen some of Armalites sales literature you will know that the CF has more than 18...

As far as conventional force use goes they are OP usage systems.

The AR10T is deployed with sniper teams as a C3A1 replacment (augment) and the C7CT in the dets as well  -- the C7CT is also det.section level in recce platoon overseas.

Right now there are not enough for a complete issue (nor even close) this is to be rectified soon (yeah yeah yeah).  There is still discussion on the uses of the C7CT - where it is viable as a Section DM and have a AR10T at PL level - or just a C7CT at Pl level etc...

Since I'm not a gun nut, what's the difference between AR10T and C7CT?

I have not seen either one in person, but as far as i know the main difference is the caliber's of the rifles are different. The AR10T being chambered in 7.62 while the C7CT is chambered in 5.56

Info on C7CT = http://www.diemaco.com/c7ct.htm

Info on AR10T = http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/ar10t.htm

Back