• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aspiring Aircraft Structures Tech - Seeking advice

bhobson

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi There All;

I would like to chat with anyone in the know about the structures tech life in the military. My application is already in with CF. I'm 43 yrs young and have done my preliminary home work and have passed the physical, medical, aptitude, & interview portions. Last I heard my application was in Winnepeg to be forwarded on to Borden for further consideration regarding my previous training.

I graduated June 2004 from BCIT AME-Structures program, and am interested in joining the forces for further my career. I would really like nothing better than to work on military aircraft.

As this endeavour seems to be closer to a reality, I regarding basic training, housing, promotions, what aircraft would be the most challenging, etc. whether they would really be interested in an old man! LOLMy wife is behind me 100% and it's her great profession that is bolstering this affair. I know that the pay isn't great, but I'm hoping they will give me some credit for my former career. I am ready, willing, and able.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I'm not in the trade so I can't offer you any specific advice other than say that I've worked alongside a few of the guys and have always been impressed with their work. I just wanted to throw in a word of encouragement and let you know that you are not THAT old.  ;D

Best of luck with your application. The pay may not be great but the people and the experience more than make up for it.

Sam

I'm not ACS, but I'm an ATIS tech on an air force base with lots of ACSs.
Hopefully some ACSs will post specific information.

The CF has an interest in you because of your civilian education, the
background as it relates directly to your MOC of choice, and the
drive in which to achieve it.  You'll definitely put your education
to good use.

Depending on your first posting after BMQ or completing any
trades course at a training centre, you'll be posted to a
gaining unit, perhaps to a squadron, and acquire on-the-job
training (OJT) for a period of time.  You may be in a lab
or flight line environment.  Different units may have different
characteristics depending on operational status, readiness,
aircraft maintenance schedules, and other duties.

BMQ is not a fitness course buts its good to be in the
best shape you can.  You'll re-perform the fitness test again
as you did in the application process.  Do not get hung up on your age.  
On my course, we had lot of people in their 20s, 30s, and two well in
the 40s.  Bring lots of phone cards.  To get through BMQ maintain a positive
attitude and a sense of humour, help your buddies, use teamwork for
everything, do everything with drive and purpose, take it one day at a time,
and most of all persevere.  If the going gets tough, just keep planting one
foot in front of the other and keep going.  If you get yelled at or
put on the spot by the Staff,  just say "Yes Mcpl", "No, MCpl" or
"Three bags full, MCpl" if you get my meaning.  

After BMQ (or later after trades training if thats where you're sent), you'll go
to your first posting.  At this location, you can secure a PMQ or arrange
to purchase a house, and bring the family over.  You'll have time to
figure out whether a PMQ, or whether living off-base is a better investment or
situation.  Each base has different characteristics.

I have no idea what aircraft is the most challenging from a maintenance point of
view, but each unit has it own characteristics.  Some units are training squadrons,
operational fighter squadrons, helicopter squadrons, CF-130 Herc squadrons
that are on high readiness, or evaluation units like AETE.  States of readiness,
tempo, operational state of the Wing, deployability, to the members in the squadron
also play factors in the job.

Since you have a civilian education and how they assess your education and
background, the pay in the Forces isn't bad.  You'll have a better idea once
they complete the assessment and provide a job offer more to the end
of the application process.

Good luck.

Thanks for your encouraging words to you both Bert and Sam69.

Generally, I am highly motivated and stay fairly positive. I have had my own part-time business for the past 10 years or so, and have maintained it part-time whilst working full-time for the past 6 years. I went up through the ranks of my trade fairly well, so am hoping that some of the good that rubbed off will help me in the forces, and we all know what doesn't down right kills you builds character, eh?   ;)

Since graduation in June 2004, I have been working in the aircraft industry in a manufacturing environment. Although it is not repair, the experience is building/maintaining my hands skills and expanding an eye for more detail than what is taught in school. I have been extremely fortunate to be have been made part of a team working on the first delivery of a large product so have learned all of the start-up pitfalls (6 mos. worth), all of the above parallels my previous experiences in the glazing construction industry.

From what I understand, I will go on to Borden for further education regarding welding of structures, & ordinance. Any and all extra education is fine by me the more I can participate in the better. I've always enjoyed learning and look forward to as many experiences within the forces that I can participate in. It's unfortunate that I never did get that ddegreefrom university!   :( What I'm really hoping for is to be able to cross train and such.

I have been working out more of late (started jogging again) and have always gone to a gym 2-4 X/wk, and have increased my weights again, so hopefully, I can hold my own.   8)

As for moving my wife with me, I don't think that will happen. She's pretty well established with a private firm as a Sr. Wildlife Biologist - She's the one with the brains in the family. She's mentioned about joining CF's but that's mainly so that she could order me around! LOL   :salute:    Although lately she has been a little more receptive to moving; she really does support my joining. We don't have any children nor plan to at this stage in our lives. Probably after she's visited me a couple of times she can make that decision then. In the past, she's been sent out of town a great deal, so we have dealt with separate lives before. She's got a healthy amount of vacation time per year, so we hope to see each other every other month or so.

I plan on staying in the single quarters to keep the expenses down. Will I be able to walk to the hangar(s) or wherever it is I'm working or does this depend on the station/base/location? I really want to economize wherever possible.

You mentioned phone cards, can I use reverse charges and such instead? Are there items in particular a person should bring to basic training that help the duration? Will there be internet access?

Thanks again, and any further comments or advice is most humbly appreciated.

Bob

As for as working location/accomodations and "walk to distances" are concerned, it really
depends on the location.  Most places you can walk.  If you receive a job offer at the
end of the application process with a posting, you may want to research the area.

At the CFLRS in St-Jean, each barrack floor has several Bell Canada pay-phones as well as
pay phones scattered throughout the facility.  Operator access, local, and long distance
features are common as with any typical pay-phone.

In the forum there are many threads discussing BMQ related issues including what to bring.
You may want to read them and post any questions that wasn't addressed.

There is interent access at CFLRS St.Jean.  Several kiosks are available in the green zone
break area and elsewhere in facility.  Unfortunately, it is DIAL-UP and expect to wait up
to five minutes for a web page load.  No duff.  Your broadband connection at home may
load the same page in seconds.

Location is something to consider and maybe some series 500s in the forums can comment
further.  Since the ACS MOC is of interest to you and likely the CF-18 fighter airframe is as
well, CFB Cold Lake and CFB Bagotville are major operational centres or this aircraft.  Cold
Lake and Bagotville aren't bad but they tend to be further from populated centres.  Usually,
spouses of members either love or have difficulty adusting to the "small town" nature.

Thank-you again.

I was down at the recruiting centre today, and have been informed that my file has indeed been reviewed in Borden and my first choice is still in the cards as a Structures Tech with even some acknowledgement of schooling and experience. There aren't any positions available at this time, but would be given consideration when the time comes. Which is all great news!

So I'm starting to up my workout schedule a bit more in case that call comes!

Yeah, I"m going to read a lot more on what to bring and expect and such to BMQ on the forums here.

Bob

There seemed to be positions available when they presented me with a less than impressive offer at the end of November.

Gunnerlove said:
There seemed to be positions available when they presented me with a less than impressive offer at the end of November.

Well, the recruiter did say that they try to give as much notice as possible, minimum of two weeks!

Are you a Licensed structures tech gunnerlove? Why was the offer less than impressive? Mind telling me?

Bob

Yes.
I would have suffered a significant wage roll back for doing the same job on many of the same aircraft as I have already worked on.

I guess I decided that I am worth more than the CF is willing to pay, and my new employer agrees.

I suppose, at the end of the day, you have to decide what you are looking for. If you are simply looking for a job, then the remuneration package often does not compete well against similar highly technical jobs in the civilian market place. However, if you are looking for the opportunity to serve your country and don't mind a little adventure and comraderie thrown in then you will find the CF offers an opportunity unmatched anywhere else. I believe that my service has given me more than can be measured by my T4 slip.

YMMV.

Sam

That last post makes me seem greedy. Oh well, damn the free market.

If you look at it as a learning opportunity you will not lose out. If you complete your BE and go back to the civie world you will take an understanding of how the military does things in the hangar and the more you know the better a Tech you will be.   

I'm not judging you in any way Gunner and my post was not intended as a criticism. I think people need to be honest about what they are looking for from life or risk being very unhappy.  People who are looking to joing the CF need to know that, while they will be paid a fair wage, they will never get rich in the Service.

It is also important to understand that the pay is only part of the total compensation package and people should reallly look at the entire compensation package when considering how lucrative the overall package is. The CF offers a number of benefits that are very generous in comparison to many other employers including (but not limited to): dental and medical coverage, 5 weeks paid leave (after 5 years of service - starts with 4 weeks), educational upgrading opportunities, a post living differential package (varies by areas), environmental pay for certain employment (aircrew, jumpers, sea duty, FOE, etc), and various hazard duty allowances (including tax exemption for some duty areas).

Cheers,
Sam

I'm not judging you in any way Gunner and my post was not intended as a criticism. I think people need to be honest about what they are looking for from life or risk being very unhappy.  People who are looking to joing the CF need to know that, while they will be paid a fair wage, they will never get rich in the Service.

> I understand that I will never get rich within the Service. It's the adventure that I truly am looking forward to. I have done some very interesting things in my life and joining the forces is yet another thing I'd like to do. I am awaiting and hoping for a decent offer, but we shall see what happens. There is also a certain stability I'm looking for as well. Just yesterday Air Canada laid-off 150 workers in Vancouver, 40 in Winnepeg, and a rumoured 58 in Montreal with more yet to come, so any stability will be welcome. I really do wish to do repair work on air craft, not necessarily commercial heavy overhaul.

It is also important to understand that the pay is only part of the total compensation package and people should reallly look at the entire compensation package when considering how lucrative the overall package is. The CF offers a number of benefits that are very generous in comparison to many other employers including (but not limited to): dental and medical coverage, 5 weeks paid leave (after 5 years of service - starts with 4 weeks), educational upgrading opportunities, a post living differential package (varies by areas), environmental pay for certain employment (aircrew, jumpers, sea duty, FOE, etc), and various hazard duty allowances (including tax exemption for some duty areas).

> I agree with you that the CF offers more than some employers, especially when you consider I'm starting out in a new field as an apprentice. I love the idea of four weeks off (I've never had that), and the benefits are just as good if not better. I'm really leaning toward a tactical helicopter posting if possible. I'd love to work on helicopters or F18's; however, the only real choice would be helicopters, due to post military applicability.

> Regarding finding a job, I can find most any job, but a career is another matter. A career with serving my country, adventrue, and comeraderie sounds pretty good right now. I already work for a company that has a high sense of comeraderie in the aircraft industry, but it's manufacturing not repair. My preference in on or near an airfield where I can be as exposed as possible to the real thing!

? Just wish there was some way I could even do some reserve work with the forces in the meantime... I'm starting afternnoon shift in two weeks and will be rotatiing shift work from now on and am looking to fill the daytime with more aircraft activities next to running for BMQ! ;)

Gunner, I take it your not in the forces? or are you in the reserves? How about you Sam69?

Ciao

Bob

bhobson said:
Gunner, I take it your not in the forces? or are you in the reserves? How about you Sam69?

Ciao

Bob

2 years Primary Reserve followed by 18 years (and counting) Reg Force.

Sam

Just as an update, I was passed over by the 14 Jan selection board, but was offered to apply further for 5 other positions 2 Army or 3 Navy. Sig Ops really interested me, but I'm thinking that I'll stay the course just yet. For the AVS Tech they only took 3 and none for the AVN Tech, so hopefully they will take more in the next selection which I've been told will be in the net couple of months.  ;)

I'm still looking to chat with any techies out there!

I'm wanting to fill in some more blanks to questions, and am wondering if anyone knows if I can take a tour of CFB Comox? And talk with any of the Techs?

In the meantime, I'm still working out and working directly in the industry gaining more experience and wondering if I should spend some time with the reserves? Sig Ops in the reserves could be interesting? Anyone with any kind of thoughts on this?

Thanks again all for your support and comments.

Bob

Oddly enough I am pushing ten years in the reserves, if I was not trying to do a CT my application would have moved quicker. If you are going to join looking for training fight to get on the Helos and then fight to get as many NDT courses as you can through the forces. Looking for cracks is good money in the real world.

Huge thanks Gunnerlove!

Helo's is where I'd love to be! And I'd never thought of the NDT aspect!  :)

Bob

Back