• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ASLAVing it up at Wide Bay, Queensland - Pics

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
You'll enjoy these pics Hales  ;D.

Well, finally got the computer fixed yet again so I can upload some pics. Here is some action from the period of 09-23 Jun, starring the crew of 12A, which included myself...

So what happened here? Well we were closed down, bush bashing down a narrow trail at 70kph, when, ah, suddenly this tree decided to jump out infront of me.....

In reality it was only about 15cm accross, but enough to break a t/rod on the RH side of the vehicle. The good thing about it, we had many RAEME brethern around and spare parts, so 30mins later we were back it.

These ASLAVs are Canadian made, but they have a few Aussie mods, such as air-con, but no heaters. Known here as a Type 1, Phase 3 LAV, complete with of course our favourite of chain guns, the US M242 in the convenient calibre of 25mm, using MP-SD, AP, and of course TPT too. Its capable of SS, 100 and 200RPM, and she's a bewt!

Thats me in pic No 1, directly left of 'Mad Mick', he's the bloke seated on the ground.

SS Posidon, well almost anyways, yes its 12A again, but not me driving this time. These are a bit dark, but you can see what happened.

This happened while using the NVD, which for those who don't know slides into the centre periscope vision block. Its like looking into a fish bowl, but its good, but sometimes washes out, and yes, no depth perception.

Where was I, well I was seated below the right 'batwing' when we were almost stopped, the LAV slid sideways about 5 ft, right into soem real deep h2o, we had no idea we were near water, so we moved a bit forward, thinking the beast was gonna roll. It slid more, and then stopped, so I had a peek out the hatch, and right there was all this water.

When the two of us climbed out the batwings, we stood on the tyres, as they were almost horizontal. A LAV-R dragged us out, and we carried on with the night's mission.

Don't ya just hate self portraits  ;D.

Took this as we bounces around the trg area of the WBTA.

Next is the M2 12.7mm QCB 'barking' off a Type 2 car (PC). On a crappy and very wet winter's day. Was it cold? No about 15C, but we were all soaked to the bone.

Anyways, hope ya's enjoyed these pics.

Cheers,

Wes

Hey Wes, you're not supposed to break those things! :tank:

Great pics Wes... I received a few via my bro from Pucka a couple of weeks ago...something about you freezing and burning things in barrels?  Heh...

Good to see Srg Rowe got his head into it on pic one! And moustacheless? And Whos the feller on his left by the way? Maybe he's just got a common face but i'd swear i've seen him before.
I've been hanging around the Dragoons Coyotes, are there any real glaring differences that a layman like me would notice? At first glance it seems like yours have less stowage on the sides at least....but that all i can see or think of... :-[ its quite embarrassing! I'm learning at least, theres a gunnery course that maybe i can squeeze onto, no ones sure yet but i might end up coming home with something that'll help get me to you fellers a little bit quicker (like that? No unit name there. Wouldnt want to do a "Gilly in Timor" now and give away all the secrets!!!)
Off topic, whats our ASLAV-PC? Is it a Bison or just a big ASLAV without the turret?

You got to watch out for those trees sometimes Sarge, vicious creatures i say! One minute your minding your own business and then BAM! Out of no where comes Daddy gum tree who inconveniantly decided to plant himself in front of you. Diabolical!
Thanks for the shots, they look great.
Have a good one,
Haley

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Great pics Wes... I received a few via my bro from Pucka a couple of weeks ago...something about you freezing and burning things in barrels?  Heh...

Australian winter kit: Qty one ea polartech jacket - Yes it was cold, the coldest I had been in 20 years. At -5C some mornings, plus hanging out of a LAV at 80kph, it ws a tad ball numbing :warstory:. It was not even really winter yet!

Burning barrels: It resembled a group of AUSCAM'd homeless 'under an overpass' with a 205L barrel (this one full of 7.62 and 5.56mm bullet holes) burning wood of any type. It was located back at the Ech, and it burned non stop for days on end.

I think the only thing that saved two cold weather hardened Canucks from further embarrassment was the Gortex rain gear to stop the wind.

Hey Hales, thats Davo on Rat's left. He a Reccy Mech from our Unit, just getting back from the USA on an M1 ARV conversion, as you know our M1s are coming soon.

Cheers,

Wes

Back