• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arty to inf, reserve

SuperTrooper

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all

Well I'm bored in my trade and am looking to change.
18 plus years in the arty, currently a Sgt that is promotable to WO.
Some may think I'm nuts but I'm just bored with it, the ex's are the same even to the point of the same gun position from the previous ex.
I'm hoping I don't have to go through DP1 as my career won't allow it.
What are my options, will I be lucky enough to get Mcpl, that's a stretch I know.

or

Do I stick it out for the 20 and get my 100% gratuity, get out and rejoin.
Maybe even go for a …….dare I say……a commission :blotto:

Looking for anybody that would have some insight or have done the switch from a Snco level.

SuperTrooper said:
Hi all

18 plus years in the arty, currently a Sgt that is promotable to WO.
Some may think I'm nuts but I'm just bored with it,
Do I stick it out for the 20 and get my 100% gratuity, get out and rejoin.
Maybe even go for a …….dare I say……a commission :blotto:

Looking for anybody that would have some insight or have done the switch from a Snco level.

Sounds like more of leadership problem, your own. How do you figure becoming an officer will make it all better?
What solider wants to follow someone who can't even get himself motivated; what trade wants someone like that?

Start thinking about making the training of your soldiers more interesting, ask for courses, do some research, do something, but if you want to be a leader than act like one, and that begins with your attitude.

Agreed with Petard. ANYTHING in life is what you make of it. So, make your experience more interesting! Suggest changes, implement changes, etc. Without some sort of initiative, you're just going to get bored in whatever trade you OT into...

acooper said:
you're just going to get bored in whatever trade you OT into...

I beg to differ. I am an OT and certainly not getting bored in my new trade. We allow members to OT so if the member is bored, let him move on without giving him a pile of greif. For all you know, he can be even more productive and dedicated to the CF in a trade hes going to enjoy even more.

I'm coming from the perspective of a JNCO but Res Inf exercises are not necessarily more exiciting.  It all depends on your LFA, CBG and the unit itself.  To the OP - you mention getting tired of doing the same thing on every ex...the same thing happens in Res Inf.  Getting platoon level qualified can only follow so many paths until you realize the only thing that changes is the scenery.

That said - and I can't speak from an arty perspective - the infantry, even the reserves, can offer many options.  We get to use simunition, and we get the chance to go on para courses (not that I know of anyone actually getting on one), machine gunner courses, mountain warfare, winter warfare.  In terms of delpoyment, we've had guys in the battle group, 408 SQ, PRT, NSE, CIMIC, Psyops, OMLT, POMLT, TFK HQ.

Really...the choice is yours.  You may get something more exiciting, but you also might find you traded 6 for a half dozen.

Petard said:
Sounds like more of leadership problem, your own. How do you figure becoming an officer will make it all better?
What solider wants to follow someone who can't even get himself motivated; what trade wants someone like that?

Start thinking about making the training of your soldiers more interesting, ask for courses, do some research, do something, but if you want to be a leader than act like one, and that begins with your attitude.

Who the hell are you to me?
If you don't like my post then don't reply.

They should install sarcasm buttons!
Commission, was a joke, should have used the rolling eye's.

Attacking my leadership was immature IMO, what ever happened to asking "why" instead of the knee jerk reaction.

This is about admin not bash a troop post, you talk about leadership but you step on someone for asking a question about certain admin.

Petard, dogger1936, acooper

Amazing how you judged me by a post, simply amazed.

CDN Aviator said:
I beg to differ. I am an OT and certainly not getting bored in my new trade. We allow members to OT so if the member is bored, let him move on without giving him a pile of greif. For all you know, he can be even more productive and dedicated to the CF in a trade hes going to enjoy even more.

You hit the nail on the head.

CanadianTire said:
I'm coming from the perspective of a JNCO but Res Inf exercises are not necessarily more exiciting.  It all depends on your LFA, CBG and the unit itself.  To the OP - you mention getting tired of doing the same thing on every ex...the same thing happens in Res Inf.  Getting platoon level qualified can only follow so many paths until you realize the only thing that changes is the scenery.

That said - and I can't speak from an arty perspective - the infantry, even the reserves, can offer many options.  We get to use simunition, and we get the chance to go on para courses (not that I know of anyone actually getting on one), machine gunner courses, mountain warfare, winter warfare.  In terms of delpoyment, we've had guys in the battle group, 408 SQ, PRT, NSE, CIMIC, Psyops, OMLT, POMLT, TFK HQ.

Really...the choice is yours.  You may get something more exiciting, but you also might find you traded 6 for a half dozen.

Thanks for the insight, I've taken a lot of what you said into consideration, I can understand about the scenery lol.

Well, you're the one that made it seem, in your post, that you were just bored and saw an OT as the only way out. You didn't indicate if you'd put some effort into making things better for yourself, aside from going for the OT. If you put in that effort, and it was rejected by your CoC, then I totally get wanting a change.  I don't know you, don't know your exact situation. What I advised was based on WHAT YOU TOLD US, along with my husband's experience as a MCpl in a recce reserve unit.

I have got to admit, you set the tone with your first line, and it was what many focused in on.  You set yourself up.

SuperTrooper said:
Hi all

You have to remember that we have only so much money to conduct training and only so many Training Areas to play in.  With new personnel rotating in and out of your unit, you still have to concentrate on teaching them the "basics".  Should that mean going to the "same old spot" in the Trainining Area every year, so be it.  You should have points to make and points to improve on to teach the newbies what must be done.  You also have to have the imagination and creativity to keep them and yourself interested.

Yes; the grass may look greener on the other side of the fence, but is it really?  You had one or two good suggestions in the previous posts.  Perhaps you don't need to change Trades, but to find some other employment instead, where your rank will gain you access.  CIMIC, and a few other jobs, are looking for mature persons, any Trade, and preferably in a more senior rank than Cpl.

You do have options other than an OT.

acooper said:
Well, you're the one that made it seem, in your post, that you were just bored and saw an OT as the only way out. You didn't indicate if you'd put some effort into making things better for yourself, aside from going for the OT.

So freakin what !!!!!

I got pissed off one day at what the career manager said to me, i didnt want to be in Gagetown anymore and i hated being in my old trade. WTF does it matter ? I'm doing very well in my new trade and i certainly do not need a leadership lesson from anyone because of it.

George Wallace said:
I have got to admit, you set the tone with your first line, and it was what many focused in on.  You set yourself up.

So here's my opening line from 2003 :

I am pissed off at my trade, i hate it and i'm looking for a change.

You also have to have the imagination and creativity to keep them and yourself interested.

Again, the CF has programs that allow members to change occupations. Theres a reason for that. Most of you responding here are just like the assholes who called me a traitor for remustering. When you cant keep yourself interested, the best thing to do is move on before you drag others with you. If the CF wasnt willing to accept transfers, they wouldnt allow it would they ?

Yes; the grass may look greener on the other side of the fence, but is it really?

Theres only one way to find out isnt there. In my case, the answer is "******* rights it is !"

You do have options other than an OT.

He sure does. But that does not give anyone the right to call his leadership in question for it.

Again you nailed it CDN Aviator

Never knew a simple question could turn into a personal beating.

I was going to reply but you covered what I was going to say.

In society today many people go through numerous career changes and some can be quite dramatic. With your situation, you have less than two years until you are at your twenty in trade on the verge of moving into a new role as a WO.

If you had not mentioned your rank but only a loose representation of time in trade it would not have become such an issue with leadership. When one reads the original message with I am a Sgt and am bored, it begs the question of how are the troops you are leading motivated. This is just how the message comes across and has little to do with your present circumstances.

Changing from Artillery to Infantry will be unique for only a short period as you will find that the repetition that is currently boring you will come to the fore very quickly. CDN Aviator went from Cbt Eng to AES Op which is a significant change and by his posts here is still bitter about the change and how he was treated. I could not tell if he was a Sr NCO or not though from my cursory research.

You will have to ask yourself if starting over now will be your best option and whether you will make a minor shift to another combat arms trade or something more significant to a trade that you will not find mundane and repetitive. Most jobs will have that aspect to them over time but it is your passion and enthusiasm for the trade that will take you past those feelings.

I can't speak for any others, but I was *NOT* trying to impugn SuperTrooper's leadership skills, or anyone else's. No mention was made of his relationship with either his superior officers, or those he leads. You can do a decent job of leading while not being terribly excited. I'd say you need passion for the job to be a GREAT leader, but you can be a decent leader without it.

I *was* trying to make a point that changing jobs just because you're bored may not be the best idea. I'm glad it worked out great for you, CDN Aviator. But if you're (in the general sense, not picking on ANYONE here) not the type to put some effort into making things interesting in your current job, a new job may not be all you think it could be ("grass is always greener on the other side" and all that). I've seen this is true out in the civi world, and I imagine it is true in the CF world as well. You get bosses that suck, and coworkers that suck, and employees that suck, no matter where you work. Any job has the potential to be amazing, or be terrible. I maintain, it's all what you make of it.

Seriously, SuperTrooper - if you've made suggestions to your CoC to improve your experience, and they've been ignored - then yes, it might be a good idea to change trades. But I'd strongly suggest doing your research first - whether that means looking around on here, the DWAN, talking to the CFRC or BPSO, etc. If you jump in blind, you might end up pretty disappointed.

Hmmm

Look at this like a divorce, found my wife cheating and now I want out and am disliking her looks as she is slow and fat.
So I found a hot little tiger that is my speed and looks sexy, but I know I only have 5 years left in life so I'll go for the ride and have fun with it.

Back