• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arty Question

muskrat89 said:
I hope those weren't the captions published with the photos in the original article. The can neither be "waiting to fire" or "ready to fire" with the breech open and no round loaded.

Now thats rich. :rofl:

muskrat89 said:
I hope those weren't the captions published with the photos in the original article. The can neither be "waiting to fire" or "ready to fire" with the breech open and no round loaded.

There you go again, letting your professional training, knowledge, and understanding of the facts involved get in the way of the "news."    ::)

;D >:D ;D

SuperTrooper said:
Nothing worse then getting tooned by a toon  ;)

I've been reading this thread with interest and confusion...lol! WRT the 'toon' terminology, is this a derogatory reference which regulars use for reservists?

Forgive my ignorance but it's all Dutch (or Canadian) to me  ;D

It has been used as a derogatory term by both Regular and Reserve personnel towards certain Reservists who have given up their time watching Saturday morning cartoons to play soldier, but never gain the real skills, dedication, or professionalism of others.  It went along with the other terms like "Leg", "Pongo", "Pigeon", "Hairy Bag", "Gravel Technician", "One Cylinder Job", "Chicken F  ", "Rocking Chair Ranger", "Queer York Stranger", and hundreds of others that have perpetuated Canadian military history.

George Wallace said:
It has been used as a derogatory term by both Regular and Reserve personnel towards certain Reservists who have given up their time watching Saturday morning cartoons to play soldier, but never gain the real skills, dedication, or professionalism of others.  It went along with the other terms like "Leg", "Pongo", "Pigeon", "Hairy Bag", "Gravel Technician", "One Cylinder Job", "Chicken F  ", "Rocking Chair Ranger", "Queer York Stranger", and hundreds of others that have perpetuated Canadian military history.

Thanks George - there was me thinking you guys were too PC for all of that, glad to see that's not the case and there's plenty of banter over there too  ;)

I've had to spend my career batting against the label of 'REMF' (Rear Echelon Mo' Fo').....lol

George Wallace said:

Hmmm, it's funny the stories that make their way around about stuff like that.  Back in my days as a "toon"  I was told it was because "reservists looked like real soldiers, sounded like real soldiers but weren't quite real soldiers."  :D

All of them have variations of the theme in their telling.  I heard of a crusty old member of a certain Regiment having returned from India and being caught in the act of committing a ritual that he had learned over there involving the wringing of a certain fowl's neck to experience the gratification of its seven death strokes and thus a legend was born.  Then again, I have also heard of the legend of the 'Mad Vandoo' in Wainwright.  All these before the day of SNOOPS verifying such stories. 

Ah! The stuff of legends.    ;D

I now return you to the Guns and the event that started this whole thread...........It definitely wasn't a "Drop Short" or that crew would have been real "hurting puppies".

Back