• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arty Question

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
These soldiers didnt fire wet powder did they to get this effect ? :)

howitzer-lighting-it-up.jpg

Field artillerymen of Battery A, 2-218th Field Artillery, 41st Infantry Brigade Combat Team, Oregon Army National Guard, fire a 105mm shell from a Howitzer at Yakima Training Grounds, Wash., during the units annual training Aug. 9. Photo by Sgt. Chad Layton of Battery A, 2-218th Field Artillery, Oregon Army National Guard

I am willing to bet it was a time lapse photo that caused the burning cordite to create the streaks.

No, I don't think it could be time-lapse. If it was there'd be more copies of the soldier behind the gun, but there's just the one.

Some of the US arty types stated that they sometimes either dip the charge in mogas/diesel fuel or swab the barrel with diesel which might explain why there is only one soldier visisble.  :D

Pour a jar of coffee mate down the muzzle and get a dazzling light show... ;D

This is an example of transitional ballistics of the gases coming out of the barrel and burning when mixed with air, same effect as during daylight but a lot less noticeable.

LikeTheBuffalo said:
No, I don't think it could be time-lapse. If it was there'd be more copies of the soldier behind the gun, but there's just the one.

Not nessecarily so. Here's a time lapsed shot from Wainwright.

Michael O`Leary said:
Larry Strong said:
Hmmm that's a good question...I recall we stood there for a length of time, somewhere's between 5 and 10 minutes.

The photographer opened the shutter once, but walked around us for quite some time with the flash, lighting up the area so was therefoe neither. On an unrelated note, see the casing in the Det Commanders hand, slowly dropping but the projectile in the loading numbers hand isn't. That has nothing to do with the way the picture was taken but with the Nancy factor of the det commander  ;D

Mikeg81 said:
Jeebus, thats an old photo.

Not as old as you would think, we where the last un to get C3's everyone else had themfor about 2 years (maybe more) by the time ours arrived.

Yea

Those guns are actually still in use, obviously thats not the Rogers Pass and we've moved past those cbts but...................I still think its a pretty old pic too.

rampage800 said:
Yea

Those guns are actually still in use, obviously thats not the Rogers Pass and we've moved past those cbts but...................I still think its a pretty old pic too.

Apparently since thy are still having the cracked hub problems with the C1s we are using C3s for AVCON this year.

I got 2 of those sitting in my Bay  ;D and are still serviceable.

241 said:
Apparently since thy are still having the cracked hub problems with the C1s we are using C3s for AVCON this year.
AVCON uses C2's. Short barrels. I should know, I prefired them....

The NFLD Grinch said:
I got 2 of those sitting in my Bay  ;D and are still serviceable.

Then they would be 2 of the only ones out there, they wouldn't happen to be the guns used by the local engineers for salutes would they, if so that could explain the fact they are serviceable a: required for a national task (salutes) b: hardly ever driven therefore not as much wear.

combatbuddha said:
AVCON uses C2's. Short barrels. I should know, I prefired them....

Congratulations, but according to the briefing we got from our CO based on the Arty CO's brief he received, they are using C3s now weather you prefired a few that are going out and there are going to be some C3's as well or perhaps could the guns you checked be the ones leased to the BC government (or who ever it is) that thy fire from garage like buildings? Also C1s and C2s both have short barrels, far as I remember the only difference was the trails, but you know that you prefired them. 

They are either C1's or C2's I can't tell the difference lol. Both are 105's right?

And yeah they get hauled out only for Opening of the House of Assembly, Installation of new Lt. Governors, Canada Day, Victoria Day stuff like that.

Maybe we can better gun drills as we now have an Arty Sgt attached to us ........

The NFLD Grinch said:
They are either C1's or C2's I can't tell the difference lol. Both are 105's right?

And yeah they get hauled out only for Opening of the House of Assembly, Installation of new Lt. Governors, Canada Day, Victoria Day stuff like that.

Maybe we can better gun drills as we now have an Arty Sgt attached to us ........

Yup both 105s.  Right on, that would explain how they are functioning, apparently there are 92 of them that aren't.  Yeah I heard you guys salute drillls are a little rough, had a friend living out there for a bit that was parading with you guys.  The Arty Sgt res living out there or something (doubt that they would attach a reg force Sgt to you just for salutes).

Yeah he's PRes out of 3 Field going to school here.

Drills might be rough but we do get the job done  ;D

The NFLD Grinch said:
Yeah he's PRes out of 3 Field going to school here.

Drills might be rough but we do get the job done  ;D
Yeah I guess, we can get you to point it in the right direction and make it go boom, its a start haha ;D

Back