• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

arty in afghan

If you look on Janes and look up Afghanistan Army it will have all the equipment listed.

Regards

Each Brigade of the ANA have a D30 howitzer Company, and a Mortar (81mm ?) company as part of thier organization. Its not a huge indirect fire capability, but there is some.

Were they using their D30s?  When we were there (roto 2) the ANA focus was dismounted infantry.

The Mongolian MTT completed its train the trainer for AIT and had trained up the Arty Coy in 3rd Brigade.

Thanks, our Arty ETT was not employed as advisors as there were not any D30s being utilized at the time.

We had a mortar platoon on Op APOLLO (Feb-Aug 02).

We had a gun bty (-) on Op ATHENA Roto 0 and 1 - 4 guns plus UAV assets. (Aug 03 - Aug 04).

We are scheduled to have artillery deployed in the future.

In addition, artillerymen have been training the ANA since roto 0 on principles of artillery on the "gun" line and observation post. A little known fact is the afghani's traditionally used their artillery weapons in a point and shoot method and are now learning the concept of true indirect fire.

from what i know, we are bring 4 guns with us to Kandahar for BG 1-06 in feb. 12 RBC is our recce sqn(only a troop) and a reserve coy/D&S pl

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
In addition, artillerymen have been training the ANA since roto 0 on principles of artillery on the "gun" line and observation post.
\

Not anymore...not from us anyway.

Since the Taliban and local warlords don't have airpower to protect against , no .

Craig

Craig B said:
Since the Taliban and local warlords don't have airpower to protect against , no .

Craig

Craig, what makes you think the local warlords don't have air or aviation assets? 

Gunner said:
Craig, what makes you think the local warlords don't have air or aviation assets?  

That's what I was thinking... and what about airfields, etc? They need protection too. AD arty can also engage ground targets, don't forget 8)

Most aircraft still remaining by 2001 were destroyed by coalition forces in Operation Enduring Freedom. Currently, what is left of the Afghan air force is a few dozen pilots, most of whom had not flown since 1996, occupying a part of Bagram Air Base near Kabul. While the United States has said that it intended to rebuild the air force and various other states have made offers to donate equipment, no material aid had arrived by 2005. At that time essentially all air operations in Afghanistan were conducted by US and other allied aircraft.

The AAF was in a very poor state as of late 2004. They lack airworthy combat planes and possess only a few attack helicopters. Airlift capabilities are very modest, with maybe 10 utility and attack helicopters and a few light transport planes at their disposal. Maintenance technicians were being trained, but no pilots. The AAF relies on the vast pool of pilots who were trained during the communist period. More than 450 enlisted with the AAF, but the majority of this serviceman have logged very few flying hours since 1990.

Thats from global security.org .

If the US supported forces have little to no A/C , I very much doubt warlords have anything flying . Its not in US intrests to let them have combat A/C .

Agreed that ADATS can be used in a DF role , but its mighty costly swatting 2 guys armed with an RPG with a ADATS missle .

Just my  $.02 opinion .

Craig

Craig, my pedantic point is that there are certianly still aviation assets currently under control of some of the warlords in Afghanistan.  The Afghan Air Force does not constitute support from Afghan Militia Forces under the control of warlords.  As anyone who has been to Afghanistan will tell you, the government supported troops are sometimes the least supported.

Gunner ,

Its possible , but improbable , that the warlords have A/C .

Its very improbable that they are actually flying combat A/C . Why ?

Lack of maintenace ( parts and technicians )  plus I'm sure that the US does not want them operating combat A/C .

When Coalition forces were collecting heavy weapons do you think they would leave a HIND but take a 82mm mortar ? That line of thinking just does not compute .

I haven't been to Afghanistan so I can say for sure but all indications lead me to believe that warlords don't pose a threat requiring posting AD assets there .

Craig

Its possible , but improbable , that the warlords have A/C .

Well, as of six months ago one of the certainly did.

Its very improbable that they are actually flying combat A/C . Why ?
Lack of maintenace ( parts and technicians )  plus I'm sure that the US does not want them operating combat A/C .

Warlords operate in alliances with President Karzai, not the US.  Many warlords are very wealthy from the opium trade and money can buy many things in that part of the world.  Moreover warlords often have support from various countries surrounding afghanistan (Iran, Russia, China, Pakistan) that are competing for influence in the country.

When Coalition forces were collecting heavy weapons do you think they would leave a HIND but take a 82mm mortar ? That line of thinking just does not compute .

Most of the key warlords have more firepower than the Canadian Military in terms of guns and tanks.There was a large AMF run cantonment site a couple of kms from Camp Julien with numerous weapon systems.  You seem to indicate that disarmament of AMF has occurred, it has barely begun.

I haven't been to Afghanistan so I can say for sure but all indications lead me to believe that warlords don't pose a threat requiring posting AD assets there .

Me neither but, as I mentioned before, I was being pedantic in stating that their was aviation resources available to some of the warlords.  Perhaps you will go there some day and see the situation on the ground vice relying on the internet.  It provides a different perspective. 

Well, as of six months ago one of the certainly did.

I did say it was possible   :)

Would you happen to know what type of A/C ?

Warlords operate in alliances with President Karzai, not the US.   Many warlords are very wealthy from the opium trade and money can buy many things in that part of the world.   Moreover warlords often have support from various countries surrounding afghanistan (Iran, Russia, China, Pakistan) that are competing for influence in the country.

I didn't mean that the US would ask them not to operate combat A/C , I meant that the US would just shoot them down if US forces thought they were a threat . I'm sure the warlords understand this point . They may have the A/C , but can they use them ? I cannot for 1 second believe that even the NorthernAlliance can dogfight with USAF A/C and win .... or cause any panic .

I'll give you the point about having outside resources to draw on . Money talks , bull#%$! walks . They could very well have techs and parts .

Most of the key warlords have more firepower than the Canadian Military in terms of guns and tanks.There was a large AMF run cantonment site a couple of kms from Camp Julien with numerous weapon systems.   You seem to indicate that disarmament of AMF has occurred, it has barely begun.

Lots of military hardware in that country . The " disarmament " process will never be complete . After all , the Mujahadin (sp?) were using Martini Henry's against the Russians in 1979 that had been taken from the British in 1879   :eek: . They will still be using AK74's in 2179 .

Perhaps you will go there some day and see the situation on the ground vice relying on the internet.   It provides a different perspective.  

I'm sure it does , and its easy to sit in my comfy chair and offer my opinions but thats really the reason for message boards isn't it ?

Craig

Back