• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arty CP call sign

redseer

Inactive
Reaction score
For an upcoming exercise we're deploying two separate firing units, guns & mortars, we are c/s 3.  The issue I have is twofold;
1.  IAW 371-4 (p.371) the main CP is 3A and the alt is 3B, and the CP in con drops its letter designator.  It seems that at some point we've fallen into the habit of using 3 for the main and 3A for the alt.  It's relatively minor but is still wrong unless we're saying that 3B is the CP in con.  Any other units running into this?
2.  Each CP will be on it's own bty net, thus will be the CP in con for that net.  If I'm reading 371-4, for the purpose of comms, there would be 2 nets and each would have a c/s 3?  To further the issue, there's also going to be a regt net, so should they be c/s 3A and 3B on that net?

Yes this is an odd situation, but we're working with another organization that has c/s 1, 2, 4 already in use.

Look forward to your thoughts.

If you are going to be on the other organization's regimental net, then you should confirm to its practice. I am assuming that from the call signs you stated it uses.

redseer said:
For an upcoming exercise we're deploying two separate firing units, guns & mortars, we are c/s 3.  The issue I have is twofold;
1.  IAW 371-4 (p.371) the main CP is 3A and the alt is 3B, and the CP in con drops its letter designator.  It seems that at some point we've fallen into the habit of using 3 for the main and 3A for the alt.  It's relatively minor but is still wrong unless we're saying that 3B is the CP in con.  Any other units running into this?

Looks like your unit needs to have LESSONS in Communications.  Two CPs may be labeled as in your case, to differentiate between the two.  The Control Station in your case will be C/S 3, no matter what C/S is painted on their exterior (ie. 3A and 3B).  The Alternate CP will be moving, and assume whatever C/S that is painted on its exterior to prevent confusion. 

redseer said:
2.  Each CP will be on it's own bty net, thus will be the CP in con for that net.  If I'm reading 371-4, for the purpose of comms, there would be 2 nets and each would have a c/s 3?  To further the issue, there's also going to be a regt net, so should they be c/s 3A and 3B on that net?

Then you are not operating as you stated in Point #1.  If both are controlling different and separate Nets, they are not Main and Alternate CPs.  If that is the case, each one could call themselves C/S 3 or the C/S painted on them (ie. 3A and 3B)......Your Sig O can make up his/her mind when they make the CEOIs and Net Diagram.

redseer said:
Yes this is an odd situation, but we're working with another organization that has c/s 1, 2, 4 already in use.

You REALLY NEED to take a COMMS Crse.  You are working with other organizations, so it now comes down to you knowing what your ARM INDICATOR is and use it.  In your case: GOLF 3.

You really need to take a Comms Crse.

Like OS says - if you're falling in on a Regt'l net with a reinforcing task, ask their RCPO what your C/S will be.
George - it's an arty net, there's no arms indicator required.

Ralph said:
Like OS says - if you're falling in on a Regt'l net with a reinforcing task, ask their RCPO what your C/S will be.
George - it's an arty net, there's no arms indicator required.

He did not state it was or was not an Arty Net.  He only stated that there were already C/Ss 1, 2, and 4; which would usually indicate a Bde or other organization.

George, by the way the nets were described and especially the reference to a regimental net, the indications were that it will be a gunner organization.

Then I see no reason to ask if (s)he would be C/S 3 if there were already a 1, 2, and 4. 

The battery will be operating as two troops, actually as a gun battery and a mortar battery using separate battery nets but both as out stations on the regimental net. The other batteries are using 1, 2 and 4, which is normal. His question is what c/s should be used by both CPs on the regimental net. 

Shouldn't each gun line be like 31 and 32 respectively? And a higher CP should be 0 ?

NFLD Sapper said:
Shouldn't each gun line be like 31 and 32 respectively? And a higher CP should be 0 ?

They would be under C/S 3 who would answer to C/S 0 who would answer to C/S 9 who would answer to...... ;D

As you go higher, on higher Nets, you get into the Three Letter daily changing Call Signs......but that is for another day.  ;D

NFLD Sapper said:
C/S 9 who's that again?

Depends.  On a Regimental Net, it is the CO.  On a Bde Net, it is the Bde Comd.  Do you want C/S 99?    >:D

Nah that's all right  :nod: I've only ever had to deal with 0 as the highest level... ;)

NFLD Sapper said:

Nope, 31, 32 and 33 would be the FOO parties for C/S 3. 0 is the Regimental Command Post.

The current version of 371-04 is in bad need of an update, and a newer version should be coming out soon, so I'm told

Over the past 8 years, some changes have been improvised, and what I'm suggesting below is probably the most consistent method of C/S use  I've seen (and based on ~34 yrs of experience and being involved in writing a lot of TTPs)

Most of the changes are the result that, by about 2006, most Bty have taken on the configuration in the picture (keep in mind OP and FAC now belong to a separate Bty)

In the situation you've described, it sounds more like you have a Bty with two Troops operating independently, which is not that unusual anymore, and of they are both firing then neither should drop their alphabetic identifier (both keep 3A and 3B, and if you had the 3rd Tp then there would be a 3C as well) This is necessary in particular for special procedures, where a distribution of fire needs to be divided up (usually by C/S 0), or fire resources assigned (usually by 95 at Regt level)

Should two, or even all three, of those Tp's co-locate, then one of the CP's could assume control of the other Tp(s) for fire missions and will drop their letter but the other(s) retains theirs (mostly for admin reasons). In the case where they're co-located, only the Bty CP needs to join Regt net.

Back