• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Artillery Officer Cadet Basic Course 2012 - CFB Gagetown - dates?

Maxadia

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,

Would anyone know the dates of the Officer Cadet Basic course at CFB Gagetown this summer?  I don't even know what these courses are called anymore, or what they consist of for modules.  I'm not even sure for the PRes if these courses consist of recruits from all trades, or are separated by trades.  I know in 1989 there was a GMT/BTT designation, but not sure if that is in effect anymore.  Even if someone was able to give me an idea of an approximate start/finish/total time in weeks idea, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Are you asking about BMOQ, the first course an Officer Cadet will take or about DP 1.1, the first artillery course in phase training?

Thanks Jeff.  I'm asking about the BMOQ....just wasn't sure if it was still called that this month or not.  ;D

Basic Training.  ;)

It's 2-3 weeks depending if they make you work weekends. The national training calendar hasn't been released yet for FY 12/13.  BMOQs are not trade-specific. Your parading unit is part of 36 or 37 CBG?

Back up a second, PRes BMOQ is only 2 - 3 weeks long?

Ralph said:
It's 2-3 weeks depending if they make you work weekends. The national training calendar hasn't been released yet for FY 12/13.  BMOQs are not trade-specific. Your parading unit is part of 36 or 37 CBG?

41 CBG, actually. 78 Field Battery, providing I'm accepted of course.

As I understand it, Pres officers generally do BMQ Common, which is 22 days. This is followed by BMOQ Mod 2, which is 12 days. The combination gives the BMOQ qualification . You then move to 10 weeks of BMOQ-L (CAP), followed by your trade course.

Thanks.  So three weeks plus two weeks....that would put me about the 2nd week of August or so if I started early July.  As I am a teacher, what about the remainder.....would they start me on a module of some kind for CAP (highly unlikely I think), or would I be RTU'd for other tasking to finish out the summer, followed by CAP the following year?

Your best bet is to call the recruiting office you originally went to to see if you've been potentially loaded on a BMQ serial this summer (the funding for the courses is not locked in yet so nothing has been decided for certain). You could probably call the good RSS Sgt in Red Deer and he would be able to look into it for you.
BMQs and BMOQs are done at the Bde level, which means anywhere in Alberta for you, but there's absolutely nothing to say that your first two courses will line up back-to-back. Expect if things go well to do BMQ this summer, BMOQ next summer (unless someone's running a weekend serial during the year, which is unlikely) and CAP the summer after that. Be advised that CAP is done primarily in Gagetown and usually starts in May, which may prove difficult unless you have an understanding principal who will grant you the time off.
Most reserve units are stood down for the summer so until you are fully trained there's not much you can do, other than a few Class A days doing odd jobs around the armouries.
It is an extremely difficult process to get PRes officers fully trained, but once you're trade-qualified, there's no limit to how far you can go...it may just take a few extra years to reach that point...

Ralph said:
... Expect if things go well to do BMQ this summer, BMOQ next summer (unless someone's running a weekend serial during the year, which is unlikely) ....

Wait a minute....if I do BMQ this summer, and BMOQ the following summer....does that mean I am an OCdt for a full year in between?

Bump if anyone has an answer for this?  I've done some searching, but haven't found anything concrete.

RDJP I reccomend you talk to the RSS Offr at the Regt HQ in Edmonton (20 Fd Regt) of which 78 Bty is a sub-unit.  If you need contact info PM me.

Cheers,

Not_So_Arty_Newbie said:
RDJP I reccomend you talk to the RSS Offr at the Regt HQ in Edmonton (20 Fd Regt) of which 78 Bty is a sub-unit.  If you need contact info PM me.

Cheers,

Thanks, I appreciate that, but I think I have had the answer PM'd to me.  :)

I don't know if it has been answered yet but, about CAP dates (now known as BMOQ-L), I have no idea but I do know DP 1.1 Artillery Officer dates.

DP 1.1 Artillery Officer dates  in Gagetown, NB are 23 May till 10 August

To clarify for people who may not know the process, courses go as such for an Artillery Officer:
BMOQ - Basic Military Officer Qualification - All officers must have this course in the CF
BMOQ-L - Basic Military Officer Qualification Land - All ARMY officers must have this course
DP 1.1 Artillery (Officer) - The first level of training in artillery (done in Gagetown, NB)
DP 1.2 Artillery (Officer) - The second level of training in artillery (also done in Gagetown, NB)

I would be careful about linking the 1.1 course to Gagetown, yes it is taught in Gagetown, it has also been exported to Shilo, Valcartier, and Petawawa in recent years

I was told that Basic would be held in Gagetown, but from everything I have seen on here, it seems that it is usually done at the brigade level...which for me in Alberta, I would guess means Wainwright?  Is this correct?

Well, received word today that processing is complete and to expect up to two weeks before hearing from the unit. 

Hey RDJP, congrats to you on your selection! Hopefully you'll be loaded on to a BMQ course sooner than later. Any which way, its all good. You've put one big hurdle out of the way.

Back