• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Artillery - Officer and NCM

G

geofftheref

I have applied for DEO entry as an artillery officer. Are there any junior officers out their who can describe the good and bad points of this career ?

Hi,

I applied as a DEO myself, waiting to be sworn in.

The only things I‘ve discovered so far:
Good:
Leadership skills

Bad:
No SQ training - CAP instead

I‘m hoping though that once I complete CAP they
will let me do SQ as well.

Nonono, it doesn‘t work that way.

SQ is for privates only. CAP is for officers. CAP covers most of what SQ covers, except maybe for some weapons related stuff. CAP is much more intensive than SQ since YOU have to lead a group while in SQ you are just a participant in things like section attacks and recce patrols.

Why would you think "no SQ training" is bad? It‘s just a name for a course "Soldier Qualification". Just because you do CAP doesn‘t mean you aren‘t "soldier qualified".

Kurokaze,

Where have you applied -- what regiment? Have you gone through the board interview? At what stage is your application?

Just curious, as I‘m in the middle of the whole process myself.

I just applied for Artillery officer this week in person, through the CEOTP entry plan. I am waiting to receive my college and high school transcripts, so I can drop them off to complete my application.

I have been researching as much as I can now about artillery, but does anyone have any tips or a link on what helps to know for the interview?

Arty officer CEOTP application finalized.  This Thursday I go for my Aptitude test! I am confident it will go well.

This is the only thing on my mind these days as I want it so bad.

It's been a very long time since I appeared before a selection board, but I also was a member of a few boards and even chaired a few. Now, you may just have an interview instead of a board, but let me offer you a few tips. And by the way, all the advice will not matter for squat once you're in front of the inquisitors.

First, be positive. Show them you are a fighter. If the questions zeroes in on a weak point, don't try to feed them a line of crap. Tel the truth.

Don't let them sell you the line that the artillery is super technical. It isn't. It is a combat arm. It exists to defeat Canada's enemies.

Be respectful and don't try to outmacho them. (See above.) Everybody who has gone past coffee break last Thursday has seen someone who claimed he or she was the greatest soldier in the world. Most crash and burn.

Good luck and check my profile.

I applied for Infantry and Artillery Officer through DEO here in Fredericton in late June, did my paperwork and had a one officer interview instead of a board in early August, my file was sent off around the 10th still waiting for a call.

*edit*

My third choice was Air Nav, I dropped it but extra medical stuff for that slowed down handing stuff in.

FYI

Training for REG F Artillery Officer:

IAP/BOTP - 15 weeks
CAP - 11 weeks
DP 1.1 - 11 weeks
DP 1.2 - 11 weeks

Well  good news for me! I met or exceeded the aptitude level required for Commissioned Officers. so I am one step closer to getting selected.

Mom is that much more worried, Grandpa is that much more proud and the girl has mixed feelings, But its what I want.

kincanucks said:
FYI

Training for REG F Artillery Officer:

IAP/BOTP - 15 weeks
CAP - 11 weeks
DP 1.1 - 11 weeks
DP 1.2 - 11 weeks

Somewhat off-topic here, but haven't they merged IAP/BOTP now into one, shorter, course? When I did IAP/BOTP as ROTP, it equaled out to 17 weeks, but that's due to the double indoc (week 0) and two 'grad' weeks. While I was on BOTP this past summer, my course was the 2nd to last actual BOTP. All IAP courses that were starting were IAP/BOTP combined (which was 15 weeks) and one pilot course which was IAP and BOTP combined into one 11 week course.

Good to hear your aptitude test went well. :)

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone could tell me the daily life of an artillery soldier in the Regular Force. I am seriously interesting in joining and would like to know how it is once your posted after all your training. Anything helps. Thanks!

ezcompany said:
Just wondering if someone could tell me the daily life of an artillery soldier in the Regular Force.

Artillery Soldier
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+life+artillery&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=ZzS_WJztE-iM8Qf13qXgAg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca++artillery+soldier&*

Artillery NCM
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+life+artillery&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=ZzS_WJztE-iM8Qf13qXgAg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca++artillery+ncm&*

Thank you the fellow who posted the training times, these are surprisingly difficult to find anywhere for any of the occupations other than public affairs officer.
My interview and medical is in 33 hours. Wish we luck boys, the dream is one step closer to reality!

I know the Artillery soldier is more hands on. I just want to know if the Artillery officer (other than FOO) actually go with the guns, or if the just stay in an office directing fire.
I do prefer Artillery soldier (hands on) but i do like the education plan with the officer.

Canuck_55555 said:
I just want to know if the Artillery officer (other than FOO) actually go with the guns, or if the just stay in an office directing fire.

This may help,

Artillery Officer Merged Thread 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/1565.50
7 pages.

Wherever a battery goes there will be a GPO and a safety that will check all the data during a fire mission, The BK also spend time on the gunline not sure what is his job though as I was a gun bunny. Both the safety and GPO were lieutenant during our exercise so if you decide to go officer there is a good chance you will get to be with the guns.

Jayjaycf said:
Wherever a battery goes there will be a GPO and a safety that will check all the data during a fire mission, The BK also spend time on the gunline not sure what is his job though as I was a gun bunny. Both the safety and GPO were lieutenant during our exercise so if you decide to go officer there is a good chance you will get to be with the guns.

From B-GL-371-004/FP-001 (which has probably been massively amended since this version was published but will probably still be correct for the Battery Captain's duties):

27. Battery Captain (BK).  The BK is the 2IC of the battery.  His
duties include:
a. overall responsibility to the BC for the efficient
functioning of the gun area;
b. supervising the GPO;
c. commanding the gun area;
d. overall responsibility for the reconnaissance of the gun
area;
e. implementing and coordinating the battery local defence
plan and commanding the local defence battle in the gun
area;
f. directing battery administration and maintenance;