• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Artillery crew job duties

Vimy_gunner

Inactive
Reaction score
My question is about the team atmosphere and duties of each member of one artillery team.  From what I know you have an officer and several members for each artillery team, but what I don't know is how the team breaks up responsibilities while out in the field. Today's a Friday and were out in the field, do I have one set responsibility for that entire day or is the duration of that responsibility set in stone as long as you're with that team? 

Does one guy always pull the lanyard, does one guy always bring over the shells to be loaded? 
When on the field of battle do you take turns going forward and helping paint targets (I could be using an incorrect term to describe this job, but from what I know during battle artillery NCM's go on ahead with infantry and help communicate firing options with the artillery team. (I'm asking about this because if possible I'd like to set my sights on achieving this role with a team! Maybe someone on this forum does this specific job and can tell me what specialty courses I could take to lead myself towards this goal.

I'm just curious what goes on with regards to responsibilities of the day between all the members of that one artillery team. If someone could give me even a vague idea as to how everything works like clockwork within the team that would be awesome.

Cheers!

VG,

I'll try to help out a bit here. Right now once you get to the guns you'll see that even though most are gunners by trade there are almost 2 very separate and distinct roles, Gunline and OP (STA now as well). I think what you're talkng about is the OP so I'll focus on that. FOO Parties, Forward Observation Officer usually consist of about 5-6, an Officer, usually a Snr NCO or pretty senior MBdr, (FEDC)and then 4 Bdrs/Gnrs. Most of the time they'll stay together but often split into 2 gps depending on the GFC plan. When together the FOO generally concentrates on the planning, advising, tactics, etc for the party and the FEDC does the shooting. Some parties have JTACs embedded in them, some don't but thats a whole different issue. The FOO Parties do usually work hand in hand with the OCs and COs of the Bns, generally its a very good working relationship and fosters a lot of interest from both sides into each others jobs.

For course when you get in you'll need the basics anyhow, Dvr Wheeled, Signaller, etc, etc so concentrate on mastering those first.

Hope that helps a bit.

Awesome! Thank-you Rampage  :piper:

Foo is exactly what I'm talking about. No doubt firing rounds off is going to be a blast, but  I'd really like to be the guy that goes on ahead to 'scout' things out. Sounds like a lot of fun (I know it's not all fun and games :p) but will bring some joy to my adventurous spirit. It also combines with the initial interest I had in becoming a Sig. op and in performing infantry like covert duties.
A nice mixed bag!

I'm in the Reserves for the first few years doing the university thing, so that should help me to complete all the courses required for the FOO job. 

P.s. Which might be a faster route to FOO -  ROTP or NCM in Pres? I'm debating which path to take and this might clear the cloud looming overhead.

Understand that being part of a FOO party is very different for Officers and NCMs from a total career perspective.  A typical career progression is as follows;

Officer - Upon completion of your basic training you will be trained as FOO after approx 1-5 yrs as a Jnr O on a gunline within a Regt.  Once qualified FOO and doing the job, you will likely only be there for a couple of years and may or may not deploy on an operation as a FOO.  Also, like Rampage has said, it would be at this time that you may become a JTAC also.  After these couple of years as a FOO you will be expected to progress to a staff job and depending on abilities, eventually be in command of several FOOs.

NCM - Upon completion of basic training you will likely do some time on the gunline and dependant on technical abilities and personal motivation be selected to go to a FOO party.  As early as few months if your lucky, more like a year or so if your good.  Once there, as a Gunner (Pte) you will drive a LAV and get a communications course followed by an Observation Post Detachment 2ic course (the course that teaches you how to call in fire from guns).  Once again, dependant on abilities you will eventually do an Observation Post Detachment Commander course and become a Sgt within an OP party.  After that, you become a Warrant Officer and move on to a staff job and coordinate several FOOs and resources.

In my opinion, being part of a FOO party is the best job you can have within the Artillery but, there are many other jobs that are very rewarding and fun as well.

In summary, as an O you will only be in FOO party for 1-4 yrs.  As a NCM you could be there for several years.

Wow, great info again - Thank-you WO.

Have clearly some thinking to do as being a part of JTAC is appealing, but I don't like the idea of a short lived period of time as a FOO. 1-4 years barely gets your feet wet and JTAC is obviously no guarantee and likely very competitive job to get into.
Think I might just try NCM Reserves till I get out of university and see where my leadership experience in sports can take me.
Now, hopefully being in the Pres for the next four years while in school won't halt my progression if I show promise. My ultimate goal is to switch over to Reg.F and perhaps CF knowing that will help me.

Cheers!

Just_A_Guy said:
is the op party apart of the artillery? and how much action do they see?

Observation Post ( OP ) parties are also discussed in,

Primary Reserve Gunner Career Progression
https://army.ca/forums/threads/113180.0

What Does Artillery Do When Not In Training Or Deployed?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/121891.0

Just How Much "infantry work" in the artillery?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/20006.0
2 pages.

Mortars: 51 mm, 60 mm, 81 mm, 120 mm & more 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/1910.0
22 pages.

See also,

FOO
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=2cQRWt2lH8mb0gLzqIzwBw&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22foo%22&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22foo%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2239.4926.0.5375.2.2.0.0.0.0.108.206.1j1.2.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.KPFlVHh3EF0

Forward Observation
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=LsURWp-YKseX0gKyzqDwBA&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22forward+observation%22&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22forward+observation%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3...10850.13157.0.13906.10.8.0.0.0.0.172.649.5j1.6.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..4.0.0....0.BzHcl5jqe0g

Back