• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

artillery coin 1871-1921

Maxadia

Inactive
Reaction score
Has anyone seen one of these before, or have any background information on these?  From what I have seen, the game of "coining" has only become really popular in the past few decades.

RDJP said:
Has anyone seen one of these before, or have any background information on these?  From what I have seen, the game of "coining" has only become really popular in the past few decades.

Interesting coin! With the dates imprinted I wonder if it isn't a 50th anniversary collectors items vice a challenge coin.

There's nothing on the back of it either.  Completely smooth.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Interesting coin! With the dates imprinted I wonder if it isn't a 50th anniversary collectors items vice a challenge coin.

BTW...why WOULDN'T it suffice as a challenge coin?  Seems to be the rules on that are kind of what anyone wants to make as a rule...

Are there specific arty rules?

RDJP said:
BTW...why WOULDN'T it suffice as a challenge coin?  Seems to be the rules on that are kind of what anyone wants to make as a rule...

Are there specific arty rules?

The whole point of a "challenge coin" is that they are owned by multiple people, who all know the agreed upon rules. One person with a single unique coin doesn't work, who are they going to challenge, and for what?

Bird_Gunner45 said:

I agree that the most likely answer is that it's a 50th anniversary commemorative. The dates are the obvious give-away, and the use of the "CANADA" scroll over the gun puts it before 1926.

http://regimentalrogue.tripod.com/blog/index.blog/2356317/the-royal-canadian-artillery-and-ubique/

The three sets of cypher letters represent the three sovereigns the Regiment had served under up to then.

Michael O'Leary said:
I agree that the most likely answer is that it's a 50th anniversary commemorative. The dates are the obvious give-away, and the use of the "CANADA" scroll over the gun puts it before 1926.

http://regimentalrogue.tripod.com/blog/index.blog/2356317/the-royal-canadian-artillery-and-ubique/

The three sets of cypher letters represent the three sovereigns the Regiment had served under up to then.

Mr. O'Leary, you are once again a  fountain of knowledge. I wasn't aware of when the change from "Canada" was made. If it was pre-1926, then I think it would be safe to say, as suggested, that it probably dates from 1921 for the Anniversary.

Michael O'Leary said:
The whole point of a "challenge coin" is that they are owned by multiple people, who all know the agreed upon rules. One person with a single unique coin doesn't work, who are they going to challenge, and for what?

I have seen different sets of rules and versions (highest ranking coin (American: Presidential trumps a General's coin, oldest coin, earliest numbered coing, coin awarded by a highest rank to a lower rank, etc).  It just doesn't seem to be a set standard followed, but more particular to a certain unit or group, as you also suggested.

Given that it is smooth on one side, vice stamped on both as a coin would be, I wonder if it was originally intended to be some sort of medallion that was mounted.  Like on a plaque, a commemorative wine/whiskey bottle or mounted in some other item.  Just a thought.

Back