• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Article on Morale problems with Aussie Infantry

FascistLibertarian

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23764796-26103,00.html

Troops 'ashamed' to wear Aussie uniform

May 27, 2008

THE exclusion of Australia's infantry troops from frontline conflicts, including in Iraq, has left many feeling ashamed of wearing their Australian uniform, an army major says.

Major Jim Hammett, who has served in East Timor, Iraq, Somalia and Tonga, also said the policy had exposed Australian troops to "near contempt'' from other foreign soldiers now serving in Iraq, Fairfax has reported.

"In the opinion of many infantrymen, the lauding of their contributions to recent operations does not ring true,'' Major Hammett writes in the Australian Army Journal.

"Many within its ranks suspect that the role of the infantry has already been consigned to history ... the ongoing inaction (in Iraq) ... has resulted in collective disdain and at times near contempt by personnel from other contributing nations for the publicity-shrouded yet force protected Australian troops.''

Major Hammett said the infantry, which makes up about a third of the army's combat forces, had not been assigned offensive actions since the Vietnam War despite steady overseas deployments since 2001.

It was only Australia's special forces, including the SAS, that were sent on offensive operations, he said.

"The restrictions placed on deployed elements as a result of force protection and national policies have, at times, made infantrymen ashamed of wearing their Australian uniform and regimental badge,'' Major Hammett wrote.

''(They) have resulted in the widespread perception that our army is plagued by institutional cowardice.''

In a separate article cited by Fairfax, Captain Greg Colton, second in command of the Sydney-based 3rd Battalion of the Royal Australian Regiment, said infantry morale had deteriorated in the past 10 years as regular infantry units were given only  "second-rate operational tasks''.

"There is a growing sense of frustration,'' Captain Colton wrote.

"The government and army hierarchy seem to favour special forces for deliberate offensive operations and tasks ... at a lower level the diggers, NCOs and junior officers are starting to question the infantry's role and their part in it, which is having a tangible effect on morale.''

I think a few people have their g-strings knotted up. The media has got on to this, and is overplaying it.

It almost cheapens those that have already been, been WIA and killed. We have all earned our ICBs and ACBs.

Generic 'RAInf' troops have indeed done their specific assigned tasks in both threatres, including company sized complex attacks against the enemy, which has been on the news.

The SF are always in the limelight, but thats how the ball bounces.  I call it jealousy by some, and with this article, thasts obvious. We all have our places in the war machine.

I was with 3RAR for 9 months, 7 of that on operations in Iraq. They had nothing to be ashamed about. Proud proven professionals. Iraq for our Combat Team was no cakewalk. We took lives there, and thank God lost no one to enemy action on our tour.

I, along with others today here at work, have taken this media release with a grain of salt and 1000 metres of toilet paper.

Our troops are in the front lines, and not just RAInf, RAAOC, RAAC, including their RAEME FRTs and the like, to say otherwise is a disgrace.

I was kinda shocked when I read this MSM stuff, too.  When I found the Journal articles, though, it appears a LOT of context is lost, with a LOTTA focus on a smallish part of the whole (gee, what a surprise) - download here (.pdf) and you be the judge.  My read:  much of the criticism in the first journal article is focussed on "why is SF doing so much of the work that leg infantry could be doing?"....

"We Were Soldiers Once:  The Decline of the Royal Australian Infantry Corps?"
Major Jim Hammett
Abstract:  This provocative article questions the use of the Infantry Corps in the current high-tempo period of deployments, asking if the Infantry is being used to its full potential. The author claims to represent the views of frustrated Royal Australian Infantry members who feel that they are not being employed to their full potential in current operations.

(.....)

The Author:  Major Jim Hammett graduated from RMC in 1996 having served as a soldier and JNCO in 1 RAR between 1989 and 1994. He has served in a variety of regimental and instructional appointments, including 1 RAR, 2 RAR, RMC, School of Infantry and as an exchange Officer with 1st Bn Scots Guards. His operational service includes deployments to Somalia in 1993 (1 RAR), East Timor in 1999-2000 (2 RAR), Iraq 2004–2005 (Scots Guards), Timor Leste 2006 (1 RAR), Tonga 2006 (1 RAR) and Timor Leste 2007 (1 RAR). He is currently a student at Australian Command and Staff College, Canberra.

"Enhancing Operational Capability:  Making Infantry More Deployable"
Captain Greg Colton
Abstract:  As the Australian Army continues to deploy troops to operations across the globe, questions are being asked both within and outside the Army as to why certain forces are being deployed. This article explores the role of the Royal Australian Infantry, and suggests changes that would increase options for its deployment.

(....)

The Author:  Captain Greg Colton is currently serving as a rifle company second-in-command with 3 RAR, in Holsworthy, Sydney. Prior to becoming an Australian he was a British Infantry Officer in The Devonshire and Dorset Regiment. His operational experience includes two years active service in Northern Ireland, as well as a seven-month deployment to southern Iraq in 2006. He was awarded a BA (Hons) in Contemporary East European Studies from the University of London, during which he spent four months working in the Romanian Ministry of National Defence. While there he researched and wrote his dissertation on the proposed reformation of the Romanian Armed Forces prior to the country’s accession into NATO.

- edited to fix URL coding and add article summaries, author bios -

Holy @#$%, over - methinks some CF soldier(s) are going to get a stern talking to by a boss or a PAffO - shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Australian troops labelled 'lighthouses'
Rajeshni Naidu, ninemsn, 29 May 08
Article link - .pdf permalink

Australian soldiers in Afghanistan are being ridiculed for their limited role on the front with Canadian and other troops labelling them "lighthouses" because "they never go out after dark".

A Canadian source in Kandahar has told ninemsn that the Australians are being ridiculed because of their restricted night operations.

News of the label comes as military chiefs acknowledge that Australian diggers are disgruntled and frustrated because of their non-combat roles in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Canada and Britain have both had more than 90 soldiers killed in Afghanistan, whereas Australia has lost five.

Australia's infantry — a third of the army's combat forces — have not been in a frontline role since the Vietnam War, over 30 years ago.

Ninemsn's source reported that Canadian troops would rather not wear the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) NATO badge, joking that it stands for "I suck at fighting".

"Some Canadian guys won't even wear the badge. They say only those who can't leave the base wear it," the source said.

While no Australian troops have been killed in combat in Iraq, there is speculation that all 550 soldiers will soon be withdrawn from south of the country.

The soldiers have reportedly complained about being held back from heavy fighting in Baghdad.

Lieutenant General Peter Leahy defended the Army deployment policies, but said he was aware many soldiers wanted "a bit more of a go".

Earlier this week, Senior Army official Major Jim Hammett criticised the role of Australian troops in war zones in the Australian Army Journal.

In an article entitled "We were soldiers once" (.pdf), he said the infantry was trained for combat but never saw the front lines as a result of "force protection and national policies".

Major Hammett's views were supported by another officer, Captain Greg Colton, who wrote an article entitled "Second-rate operational tasks".

He claimed there was a "growing sense of frustration" among soldiers who were being kept from dangerous tasks.

How and why people think we have not kicked ass overthere in both theatres, I'll never know, and this 'lighthouse' thing, well, I don't think its wide spread.

In respect of Tpr Poppy Pearce from my Regiment who was KIA in Agfhanistan on 08 Oct 07, I don't think would agree with this crap spewing from the media's arsehole of a mouth. After all Poppy gave his life, and died a quick yet horrible death. My friends were there to recover him and the ASLAV. Not pretty, and traumatising for everyone.

I view this hoopla over nothing as an isolated incident, by a small group, but nowwith the media going to town with it. The media has it all wrong, shy of no KIA in Iraq, although there has been WIAs from SAA, and IDF. Lives are saved from our PPE and our evolving and changing TTPs. The media do not have the facts, but let them play their games, as we know what we have accomplished, sadly the public may follow this and tend to beleive it, as generic sheeple usually do.

Our are troops on their way home, yes from southern Iraq, its news and a fact, but another group are staying for the long term. Its only one area they are leaving from.

This big news here. Anything to tarnish the image of professional armies with a one sided LOSER media. Again shame on them. Trying to dishonour our service sacrifice and duty is, well I can't even think of the word.

You all know what I think of the media. Lower than low. They are by far the scum of the earth, and thats a compliment from me!

You media wankers who read this, its obvious you don't even have a conscience, you just want ratings, now at the cost of your Defence Force, how gutless!

Yet again, truly disgusted, coming from yes, a veteran!

Shame! Shame!  Shame!

How some bloody idiots in the media sleep at night, I will never know. But I'd love to give some of them a spraying with some of my mind.

If true, I would find it a bit disconcerting that Canadian soldiers are treating the Australians like this - especially since it used to our guys who used to get the same treatment (prior to Afghanistan)...   

Never heard the term used when I was there.  Disdain for the Dutch politics but that was about it in regards to Allies.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
Never heard the term used when I was there.  Disdain for the Dutch politics but that was about it in regards to Allies.

Very good point - I forgot a critical caveat here:
milnewstbay said:
Holy @#$%, over - methinks some CF soldier(s) are going to get a stern talking to by a boss or a PAffO....

"ASSUMING, OF COURSE, THE REPORTER QUOTED THE INDIVIDUALS IN CONTEXT....."

Back