• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army struggles with shortage of Arctic parkas, tents, heaters, transports

Bzzliteyr said:
I've got a batch of old underwear I am not using anymore.. too stiff.. guess I turn them in as well.

Prosthetic underwear?  8)

Parade States - its bad enough when you have a unit under one roof.

Try it when your sub unit is flung across western Canada.

I need a hair pulling smiley.

Then to top this all off, when the ARCG forms, we issue a kit list....ie "you need to bring this ie parka, and if you haven't got one, you need to arrange to get one"

Generally it works well.

Jim Seggie said:
I need a hair pulling smiley.
      :pullhair:

You should have pondered that one magic wish a bit more carefully.  ;)

Journeyman said:
      :pullhair:

You should have pondered that one magic wish a bit more carefully.  ;)

Notice that it is a red-headed girl? That would never happen; we'd just smack 'ya.    >:D

Well they got one more set of winter gear, turned mine in today, officially retired as of midnight tonight. Start my new job tomorrow.

milnews.ca said:
  To be fair to him, we don't know if he saw the Briefing Note(s) in question, or just responded to a reporter explaining what happened and seeking a comment.

Therefore the saying "Two ears, one mouth....use as such."  Perhaps he could have inquired some more information before stating an opinion. 

I can just see the newest headline now...."Damm Conservative Government spends XXXX dollars on parkas that are only used on a few exercises per year." >:D

Gizmo 421 said:
Well they got one more set of winter gear, turned mine in today, officially retired as of midnight tonight. Start my new job tomorrow.

Off Topic

Thank you for your service!!  :salute:

GAP said:
Army struggles with shortage of Arctic parkas, tents, heaters, transports
By: Murray Brewster, The Canadian Press 05/10/2012
Article Link

Six years after the Harper government declared the Arctic to be a new operations area for the Canadian military, the army has struggled to find enough parkas, cold-weather tents, lanterns and heaters to equip forces that take part in its annual summer exercise.

The "critical equipment shortfalls" were so bad last year, the head of the army approved a request by area commanders to buy missing gear themselves, say internal briefing documents.

The briefings also show the army worried about running out of parkas, and turned to the air force for help ....
And here's one of the briefing notes in question (Scribd.com), kindly shared by The Canadian Press, as well as another.

- edited to include second link to briefing note -

Back