• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Junior Staff Officer (AJSO) Course

Mike Bobbitt

Administrator
Staff member
Owner
Directing Staff
Reaction score
Has anyone heard details about the Army Junior Staff Officer (AJSO) course that is replacing Army Junior Officer Staff Qualification (AJOSQ)? All I have been able to find is this:

http://armyapp.forces.gc.ca/olc/nr-eng.asp?NewsID=95

The mil.ca link goes to a CANFORGEN that talks about equivalency etc. and has no additional details. Seems like the course is spooling up soon, just wondering if anyone has heard more on exactly when, etc.

Thanks
Mike

I have not heard anything about this.

I can only hope that this is not a reduction in the quality of what is in my opinion an already diminished junior staff course. IMO the army should go back to what was previously taught and what was taught to me on CJCSC (Caribbean Junior Command and Staff Course). The staff portion is based off of the junior staff materials offered to officers in the 80s and 90s according to some of the documents I received during the course. I learned so much more from a very persistant Brit DS explaining the necessity of thoroughness,brevity and conciseness than I would have doing the online AJSOQ. I could go on but perhaps it is better to start another thread on this...

There is a CANARMYGEN (new name for CANLANDGENs for those who haven't heard) coming re AJSO soon.  It's out for translation now.

In a nutshell - 3 modules.  Mod 1 and 2 by DL, mod 3 by OJT. 

I'm recently posted, and am still learning, but I am in a position to be able to provide some details once I read in to what's going on at my new job.  I have seen the QS and TP for it, but haven't fully digested yet.

MTF...

Quick update, you can now do AJSO Mod 1 through DND learn, over the Internet: https://dln-rad.forces.gc.ca/login

If you can't log in, you'll need to change your DND learn password on the DIN and try again.

Mod 2 is due out any time (mid August) and Mod 3 (part 1) is due out mid Sept. Mod 3 part 2 is OJT.

Mike Bobbitt said:
Quick update, you can now do AJSO Mod 1 through DND learn, over the Internet: https://dln-rad.forces.gc.ca/login

If you can't log in, you'll need to change your DND learn password on the DIN and try again.

Mod 2 is due out any time (mid August) and Mod 3 (part 1) is due out mid Sept. Mod 3 part 2 is OJT.

It's available through DLN, not DND Learn, actually.  dln-rad.mil.ca  Once you're logged in to DLN, enter "AJSO" in the search box and you should find it. 

Much appreciated - I'll have to take a look at it when I get into work!

They've pushed Mod 2 to mid Sept and Mod 3 to mid Oct.

So Mod 3 has a DL portion and a practical portion which involves planning and exercise/evolution is my understanding-

I wonder what that practical exercise will look like? Was there a similar requirement under the old system?

Container said:
So Mod 3 has a DL portion and a practical portion which involves planning and exercise/evolution is my understanding-

I wonder what that practical exercise will look like? Was there a similar requirement under the old system?

Yea the old system had one as well that a CO/OC had to sign off on.  From the description it is the same from the old to the new crse in that you design a unit training plan of some sort.

Did the unit actually complete the training plan or is it a thought exercise? Not that it matters. Just curiosity.

I just finished mod 1.

It's a 'theoretical' training plan. You will create one given some criteria and guidance, but the end plan is just an exercise in itself, not for actual use at the unit.

Mod 2 should be out "any day now".

I started MOD 2 just on the 12th, I think it was pushed out a little late but it is out now.

Mike Bobbitt said:
It's a 'theoretical' training plan. You will create one given some criteria and guidance, but the end plan is just an exercise in itself, not for actual use at the unit.

Mod 2 should be out "any day now".
It depends on your CO/DCO.
Mine culminated in a demolitions exercise - why waste those brain cycles in a throw-away plan? might as well use it.

Mod 3, part 1 is now published. https://dln-rad.forces.gc.ca/login

Does anyone know where the Mod 3 part 2 instructions are? I finished part 1 yesterday and on the last slide it said "On successful completion of the exam, you will have access to the instructions for the OJT portion". Does this get sent automatically or do I have to track it down?

reboog said:
Does anyone know where the Mod 3 part 2 instructions are? I finished part 1 yesterday and on the last slide it said "On successful completion of the exam, you will have access to the instructions for the OJT portion". Does this get sent automatically or do I have to track it down?

Ditto, you beat me to it.

Agreed, it notes that the OJT content will be available after completing mod 3, but I can't seem to find it.

reboog said:

if it shows in your profile as completed then it should be available - perhaps is something not yet uploaded.
Perhaps it is sent to your unit for your OC/DCO/CO to administer. What I do know is that on completion it is up to your OC/DCO/CO to inform them of whether you pass or fail.

Good news, Mod 3 Part 2 is now available. You can find it by searching AJSO, it's listed as a course like each module is. The package is just a short PDF describing the requirements, which are essentially to plan, implement and assess a sub-unit training ex.

In relation to AJSO, does anyone have much information on the over arching CFJOD (I think I have the right acronym). I understand the OPMEs have changed a bit, is there a thread I can't find on this already?

I just walked through one of my subbies on this, and comparing this to the pre-nerf AJOSQ I completed (31 days before it was cut to around 18) it seems like much more of an applicable course from the overviews and much less general (read specific tech details you will never use) information! I'm a fan!

Back