• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Engineering experience re: ordre des ingénieurs

elrohir

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know if experience as an engineer officer is considered by l'ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (or any other engineering order for that matter. I just happen to live in Québec)? I know that in Québec after university one must have 36 months of engineering experience as a junoir engineer, working under a qualified engineer before one can be an accredited engineer. Does military experience count, or would an ex-engineer officer have to start out as a junior engineer if they want to work in that field after being in the army.

Assuming you meet all of the requirements laid out by your provincial governing body, and submit the required reports to your mentor during the EIT period, military experience should be acceptable for you to qualify for your P.Eng.

NB, ON, and AB recognize military experience toward PEng.
Other provinces probably do the same, but I only have made direct observations into these three.

Cupper is right. As long as your work experience is related to engineering, you should have no problem. I checked one of the young combat engineer officers from a CAF video and he was registered as a junior engineer. They could ask you to pass a french exam if you got your degree in english or in another language (they tried it with me).

So find a mentor (a registered engineer), good luck and get prepared for continuing education.

PS. Is it rellay 36 months of mentoring? In my time, it was only 24 months.

Thank you very much for the information. By the way, I am not in the army, but am considering possible career choices, including perhaps the army. I'm just starting CEGEP this year, but this infomation makes the army even more of a consideration for me.

I got the 36 months off the website of l'orde des ingénieur du Québec.

MCG said:
NB, ON, and AB recognize military experience toward PEng.
Other provinces probably do the same, but I only have made direct observations into these three.

NS does as well.

If in doubt, contact the Provincial Association where you will be posted or where you plan to register.

GUS021 said:
Cupper is right. As long as your work experience is related to engineering, you should have no problem. I checked one of the young combat engineer officers from a CAF video and he was registered as a junior engineer. They could ask you to pass a french exam if you got your degree in english or in another language (they tried it with me).

So find a mentor (a registered engineer), good luck and get prepared for continuing education.

PS. Is it rellay 36 months of mentoring? In my time, it was only 24 months.

I was in the last group in NS that did a 24 month EIT, then it jumped to 48 months, to fall in line with most other jurisdictions who has switched as well.

One other thing to consider too if you a looking at a career as an engineer in the military (or even in the civilian world), membership can be transferred from Association to another through reciprocity agreements. As long as you meet the minimum requirements as set out by that association, you can obtain registration or a license to practice (depending on how they handle non resident engineers). Most associations will grant registration or licensing once the required fees are paid. There are a couple which may require a specific exam to be written (Quebec also requires a french language proficiency exam on top of all the other requirements for non francophones).

Also be aware that membership in a provincial association is not required for you to practice engineering as part of your military employment. Members of the CF are exempt from provincial licensing requirements for any engineering work done as part of their duties. Engineering work done outside of your employment duties would be a violation of Provincial regulations of performing the practice of engineering without proper licensing.

And best of luck in whatever direction you decide to take.

Back