• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Courses List

I apologize, i in no way meant to put anyone down. And i should have checked to whom i was speaking to before responding. I appreciate the responses to my answers. And in no way will lip off to any of my superiors. Thank you for pointing that out. Lesson learned.

I do however want to persue the close quarters combat instructor in the future, and am wondering when i would take the PLQ coarse. Is it instead, before or after MOC. I start my BMQ on the 13th of april and am very excited. Any help will be appreciated. Again sorry for the tone.

Mosher said:
I do however want to persue the close quarters combat instructor in the future, and am wondering when i would take the PLQ coarse. Is it instead, before or after MOC. I start my BMQ on the 13th of april and am very excited. Any help will be appreciated. Again sorry for the tone.

PLQ is part of your DP 2 Period, will take you a while to get there. Usually you take if after your QL5 course.

Mosher said:
Whats it matter if im not in yet. I start my bmq april 13th.

Well, my comment was directed at George, not you.  I was indicating to him that you don't know what PLQ is because you're not even in the CF yet.  Trust me, you will know what it is long before you have to go on it.  As we said to another new, eager member here, concentrate on your BMQ and trades training and don't start worrying now about things that are probably years in the future.

By the way, my remark was also not meant to insult you.  Now, relax and try not to get offended so easily. 
wink.gif

Okay, sorry, i am easily offended sometimes and can take things the wrong way.

But yes my fiance works at DND and keeps telling me not to look so far in the future and focus on now. But for some reason can't help but to plan for my future. I am super excited about my new career in the works.

CDN Aviator said:
Not his fault. He still has "feelings".

::)

Cyborganizer: I can streamline any procedure, except this thing you call "love".
Homer: Aww, poor Cyborganizer.

Edit: Nothing wrong with having feelings, as long as they're managed at the appropriate time, no?

Sorry to double-post, but I have something relevant to ask this time.

Is there some reference (DIN or otherwise) that lists who is eligible to go on certain courses?

For instance, I believe only Infantry and Armoured are eligible to go on the Recce Patrolman's Course, while other courses are only open to the Combat Arms, or even only one or two MOCs (Engineering and Ammo Tech WRT to IEDD, for instance.)

I imagine particular courses who get showcased via a CANFORGEN would list their eligibility (ie the Source Collector course), but I'm guessing not every available course gets a CANFORGEN written about it.

Neo Cortex said:
I believe only Infantry and Armoured are eligible to go on the Recce Patrolman's Course,

That is incorrect.

but I'm guessing not every available course gets a CANFORGEN written about it.

You have guessed correctly. Each course that runs sends out a message calling for nominations from units for whom the qualification applies. That message is not adress to everyone in the CF and thus not a CANFORGEN.

Your respective career shop will load you on career crses as you merit them. this is done through MITE.
In the Sigs world the Bde/Formation Chief Comm Op will push out request for nominations for OSQs through the CoC.
In Bns and Regiments the RSMs handle this on the advice of SSM/CSMs

CDN Aviator said:
That is incorrect.

Sorry, just an example off memory. Good to know I'm wrong on that count though :)

You have guessed correctly. Each course that runs sends out a message calling for nominations from units for whom the qualification applies. That message is not adress to everyone in the CF and thus not a CANFORGEN.

Oh, that's great to know. One of my concerns was that during my career (er, if I get a career) I'd miss out on courses I might enjoy because I wouldn't hear about them. Thanks for the clarifications! :)

Jammer said:
Your respective career shop will load you on career crses as you merit them. this is done through MITE.
In the Sigs world the Bde/Formation Chief Comm Op will push out request for nominations for OSQs through the CoC.
In Bns and Regiments the RSMs handle this on the advice of SSM/CSMs

"MITE" is a new acronym to me....Google says it's "Military Individual Training and Education." That's one more section I suppose I'll need to look out for. Thanks for the info!

Edit to fix nested quotes.

Don't worry about MITE. You have nothing to do with this.
Just worry about getting through BMQ.

Jammer said:
Don't worry about MITE. You have nothing to do with this.
Just worry about getting through BMQ.

Yes, I understand. I'm just a bit forward thinking. Thanks for the info though! :)

Neo Cortex said:
One of my concerns was that during my career (er, if I get a career) I'd miss out on courses I might enjoy because I wouldn't hear about them. Thanks for the clarifications! :)

Let me clarify things for you further. Course solicitation messages are not sent to members. They are sent through the CoC to unit training sections. You may very well never be told that a course is available because the unit has already decided who would be going on it or because the unit decided it was not sending any names for it.

Units dont generaly load people on courses because they might "enjoy it". if the unit has a need for someone with that qualification and if the unit does not have other priorities, they may send people on course.

Even if there is a need and the unit wants to send you, that doesnt equal to you getting on course.

CDN Aviator said:
Let me clarify things for you further. Course solicitation messages are not sent to members. They are sent through the CoC to unit training sections. You may very well never be told that a course is available because the unit has already decided who would be going on it or because the unit decided it was not sending any names for it.

Units dont generaly load people on courses because they might "enjoy it". if the unit has a need for someone with that qualification and if the unit does not have other priorities, they may send people on course.

Even if there is a need and the unit wants to send you, that doesnt equal to you getting on course.

I understand; when I said courses I might enjoy, I meant it with the usual caveat of "if it's also in the Forces' needs and the stars are aligned and the dice rolled right, etc. etc."

There are a lot of courses I would have "enjoyed" going on. My PLQ (L) in Shilo during the dead of a Manitoba winter was not one of them!

Looking for a listing of course dates on the DIN? Where could i find it, if there is one?

Army courses?  CF Courses?  Trade specific courses?

A whole lot of info out there; a better identification of what you require would let someone filter it.

One place to start is the school where the course would be offered, for example, for a QL6A MSE Op, look at CFSAL's site.

Where are the engineering courses? Do Engineering Officers get to take any advanced courses? Any comments would be helpful!

Shaun said:
Michael,

Do you have the DIN link for the courses?  I'm assuming a memo through the chain of command is how one would get onto the mentioned courses?

Thanks,

Shaun

Have your boss forward your name up the chain to your Ops and Training Pers to be nominated through MITE. That is how most courses get loaded unless they come down as a fastball.

Back