• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Courses List

Snowy91 said:
I know everyone probably trys for this but does anyone know how to apply for or how to get into sniper training? Do they ask you?

I get sworn in on the 13th and leave for basic on the 25th and I was wondering if theres anything I could do to plan ahead.  Thanks
this will not be the first time that question has been asked. I know you find that shocking. There are dozens of pages on it. SEARCH.

Snowy91 said:
I know everyone probably trys for this but does anyone know how to apply for or how to get into sniper training? Do they ask you?
Too early for you to be worrying about that.  You have to get in first.  Then you have to become a Member of the Infantry Branch.  Then you have to become a member of an Infantry Regiment (Regular Force).  Then you may be recognized for your skills, knowledge and courses that you've completed, and be lucky enough to be nominated for the Crse.
Snowy91 said:
I get sworn in on the 13th and leave for basic on the 25th and I was wondering if theres anything I could do to plan ahead.  Thanks
Nope!

Here is the CFSCE course lists:
http://cfsce.kingston.mil.ca/English/SchoolCalendar/calendar_e.html

I'm curious as to how courses are divided amongst Officers and NCMs.  For example I noticed that Desert Warfare is offered only to NCM's but Jungle and Winter Warfare courses are offered to both Officers and NCMs.  Is this simply a matter of not having enough instructors for an officer Desert course or does it have something to do with the nature of the officer’s role?  I'd also be curious about the sniping courses as they are all offered only to NCMs.  Are there no officers in the army who are snipers?  Do NCOs exclusively lead sniper detachments? 

b00161400 said:
  Are there no officers in the army who are snipers? 
only those who used to be NCMs

Do NCOs exclusively lead sniper detachments?
yes.

And, that's about all you need to know over open means.

So being a reservist, can i apply for any of the NCM courses? or do they have to be Pres only?

I only ask because i want to take a FIBUA Course, but Im not sure if theres one for reservists or not. Does anyone know what qualifications you must have before taking this course?
many thanks.

AFireinside13 said:
So being a reservist, can i apply for any of the NCM courses? or do they have to be Pres only?
there are certain courses available to both Res and Reg components, i.e. Advanced Recce. Sometimes we invite certain Res units in the local area to contribute names for Reg courses. Certain courses are pretty much Reg only. Your best bet, in this case, is to talk with your CoC. You'll have to anyway, eventually.

Another source to search (& update): http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Army_Courses

I don't yet have access to DIN so this may be a futile question, but I'm looking for a list of courses available to purple trades.  I was reading through the army courses list and I saw under MOC it said "common" for many courses.  Does this mean they are open to most trades?  I'm a med tech (land) and am curious as to what branching out courses I can take that don't necessarily apply directly to my MOC. 

medic269 said:
I was reading through the army courses list and I saw under MOC it said "common" for many courses.  Does this mean they are open to most trades? 
with some caveats, yes. For instance, although Patrol Pathfinder and CQCI are 'common', and therefore open to most trades, you don't see many Finance Clerks or Cooks on them. No requirement, so why would a unit pay to send them?

I see that side of it yes.  I'm really interested in doing the jump course so I've been trying to research a list of other courses which are available.  Thanks for the response.

Chris

I'm in a p.res unit - 1RNBR Fredericton, NB. I was wondering if there was a link that I would be able to check to see what courses would be coming available in my area, summer '07. I should be finishing my SQ just as the summer begins so I'm just trying to get my affairs in order as early as I can.
Granted, I would have asked my CO or an RSM clerk but our unit has dispersed for the holidays and won't be back until January 11.

Thanks.

How about doing your BIQ course.  ???

Btw you should remove your Private Trained avatar as you are not qualified for it.

Nfld Sapper said:
How about doing your BIQ course.  ???

Btw you should remove your Private Trained avatar as you are not qualified for it.

I think he had the chance to ask by now  ;D

pteSMITH said:
I'm in a p.res unit - 1RNBR Fredericton, NB. I was wondering if there was a link that I would be able to check to see what courses would be coming available in my area, summer '07. I should be finishing my SQ just as the summer begins so I'm just trying to get my affairs in order as early as I can.
Granted, I would have asked my CO or an RSM clerk but our unit has dispersed for the holidays and won't be back until January 11.

Thanks.

Just some advice from me, take it or leave it.

1.  You probably should talk to someone lower in rank than your CO.  He might not know who you are, why you are asking him  "what can I do this summer?" or be busy with say, oh, running his/her unit on the little time a Reserve CO has to do so.  If the RSM is standing there when/if you DO attempt to query the CO directly, he may wish to talk to you after.  The RSM, realizing you are an untrained Pte, may then wish to talk to say, your Crse WO, or Section Commander, in a way that your Crse WO or Sect Cmdr may not really like.
2.  If you are on SQ now, or BMQ, or in a Section (somehow), then...your Chain of Command would be found there.  I am thinking they might, if they know, tell you when you BIQ would be running.  Until you complete BIQ, you are untrained as an Inf soldier in the Inf MOC.
3.  RSM clerk is probably not a CF trade.  RMS Clerk, however, is.  They will probably, particularly the Unit Chief Clerk, called the Chief Clerk, be the person to talk to about this either.  See comment #2.
4.  A unit "dispersing" for the holidays is usually referred to as "stood-down" or "on leave".  FYI.

8)

Mud Recce Man said:
Just some advice from me, take it or leave it.

1.  You probably should talk to someone lower in rank than your CO.  He might not know who you are, why you are asking him  "what can I do this summer?" or be busy with say, oh, running his/her unit on the little time a Reserve CO has to do so.  If the RSM is standing there when/if you DO attempt to query the CO directly, he may wish to talk to you after.  The RSM, realizing you are an untrained Pte, may then wish to talk to say, your Crse WO, or Section Commander, in a way that your Crse WO or Sect Cmdr may not really like.
2.  If you are on SQ now, or BMQ, or in a Section (somehow), then...your Chain of Command would be found there.  I am thinking they might, if they know, tell you when you BIQ would be running.  Until you complete BIQ, you are untrained as an Inf soldier in the Inf MOC.
3.  RSM clerk is probably not a CF trade.  RMS Clerk, however, is.  They will probably, particularly the Unit Chief Clerk, called the Chief Clerk, be the person to talk to about this either.  See comment #2.
4.  A unit "dispersing" for the holidays is usually referred to as "stood-down" or "on leave".  FYI.

8)

Thank you for the very informative reply. I value the advice, very much.
Excuse my terminology, as it may not be conformed quite yet as of last month I was a little more ignorant to rank (and duties thereof). I know more now by asking a few probing questions.

Cheers.

I want to point out an error in that list of courses, it has Coyote Surveillance Op down as an Infantry course but it is actually an Armoured course. As far as I know the infantry don't even use Coyotes at all, they use the LAV 3s.          ;)

Back