• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Staff Interview: the 48th regulator

Mike Bobbitt

Administrator
Staff member
Owner
Directing Staff
Reaction score
Read on for the second installment in the "get to know your Staff" feature. This time tess has provided us with some material. As before, users are encouraged to ask follow-up questions if they have any, and tess will do his best to answer... maybe even honestly. Thanks tess!

Enjoy.

the 48th regulator

What brought you to Army.ca?

I was actually surfing the net to see what was going on in regards into the then, yet to be built war museum.  I found a thread describing an incident I was involved in overseas.

What kept you here?

The chat and camaraderie reminded me of my Regiment, and the good times that I had.  A virtual mess, if you will.

What made you consider becoming a Staff member here?

I felt that the site had done a lot for me; with me leaving the military I needed a new focus.  I decided that I had to return the favour and help others find the same with my guidance.

If you were CDS, what's the first thing you'd do?

Pump tons of money into the reserves.  Create a second tier of Military, where you would have a pool of highly trained soldier that were drawn from the reserves.

What is your favourite aspect of Army.ca?

The similarities it holds to the lifestyle of the Canadian Army.

What is your least favourite aspect of Army.ca?

People that have a hidden agenda, the crusaders.  They are ones that feel they need to stir up shite, and then point the finger at the site as being part of “the establishment” when they are corrected.

What do/did you enjoy most about the military lifestyle?

The Feeling of belonging.  I was a 48th Highlander, and that is my regimental family.  However, I felt at home in any situation. Why?  We were all serving the same flag.

What do/did you enjoy least?

The PONTIS, especially those that felt that the position they held, allowed them the authority to choke the life of the Soldier.

What is your favourite war movie or scene?

The scene from platoon in the “Head” bunker, when Barnes does his speech..

Now, I got no fight... with any man who does what he's told. But when he don't, the machine breaks down. And when the machine breaks down, we break down. And I ain't gonna allow that... in any of you. Not one.

What book are you currently reading?

Just picked up The Beginner's Guide to Hunting Deer for Food

What is your favourite quote?

Lack of preparation on your part, does not mean an emergency on mine

What is your favourite kind of music or favourite band?

MotorHead, Public Enemy, Rolling Stones, The Ramones, AC/DC, just to name a few, I love every Kind of music out there, bar none.  Music calms the Savage beast, and music played a big part when I was dealing with my Demons, of my Mental Injury.

What is your favorite drink? (E.G. Coffee, Tea, Beer, other...?)
Beer…need I say more?

What do you do on your free time (other than Army.ca, of course)?
I actually have started brewing my own beer.

What do you do in "civilian life"?

I used to work in the Entertainment Lighting business, selling lighting equipment; most of my clients were part of the Film, Television, and theater scene.  I am now working for DND as a Peer Support CoOrdinator, helping those that suffer OSIs like myself.

Are you married?

Yes.

Do you have any children?

Two Children, A girl ,Caelan, and a boy Brendan.

Do you have any pets?

My wee Dog Whiskey (Chihuahua and Pomeranian Mix), and a Husky named Che (does anyone see a theme here…)

What's the most memorable thing you have done or seen? 
Well I would say that to me, my whole life has been memorable to me joining the Military, my family, and my work.  But I have to admit that my time overseas in 1994 was the most life moving experience for me.

Describe one thing you believe Army.ca visitors should know about you.
I am a happy go lucky guy; dig a good chat, and a good debate.  I despise those that think think that an "Opinion" is a God given right, and no one can criticize it.  That is so Egotistical, and weak.  You want to throw down your views, then be prepared to defend them with more that "It's my Opinion, and I have a right"....Unfortunately, you don't!

How old are you?

Oy Vey…42 as of 2013…..and living my life like when I was 18…but the body constantly reminds me of the truth!

dileas

tess

Hi Tess, nice to "meet" you. (Especially since you didn't make the last TO meet and greet :p...LOL)

It's a Friday night, your wife has taken the kids away to give you some time to yourself.  There is a storm raging, so there is no electricity and you're not going to leave the house.  What would you do with yourself?  Now, what if you could invite 3 other people (famous, infamous, living or not, real or imaginary, your pick) to join you, who would they be and why?

Interesting question.  I assume we do have beverages on Ice as I grabbed the coolers and filled them with ice and beer that I brewed. I Have pulled a couple of bottles of Scotch, I managed to purchase with the pirates gold I found in my back yard.  And I have some of the finest Cuban cigars waiting that I had Fidel send to me via his own personal courier.

Che Guevara
Robbie Burns
Benny Hill

Now that would be an awesome night of chat, drink, and humour.

dileas

tess

only if you bludgeoned Guevera to death with a whiskey bottle and spent the rest of the evening toasting his bloody death with the same bottle.

the 48th regulator

The Feeling of belonging.  I was a 48th Highlander, and that is my regimental family.  However, I felt at home in any situation. Why?  We were all serving the same flag.

[/quote]

The Highland Mafia lives on!!!    ;)

Memories of tess (many moons ago)
tess : #$^#$ Davis... from now on you're only allowed to carry pillows and helium balloons in your ruck sack.

rage at Communist terrorist > fear of pirates = dead commie scumbag = happy para-poo.

paracowboy said:
only if you bludgeoned Guevera to death with a whiskey bottle and spent the rest of the evening toasting his bloody death with the same bottle.

Good luck prying the whiskey bottle out of Robbie Burns hand

Trinity said:
the 48th regulator

The Highland Mafia lives on!!!    ;)

Memories of tess (many moons ago)
tess : #$^#$ Davis... from now on you're only allowed to carry pillows and helium balloons in your ruck sack.

That was a cool ex!  And it was Feather pillows, and helium balloons...did you head my advice?

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
That was a cool ex!  And it was Feather pillows, and helium balloons...did you head my advice?

dileas

tess

No... I actually grew some muscle instead and got into shape.
Did a 60 km with 40 lbs last year.  Was ok at the end.

Vibram soles and good boot insoles helped a lot.

Tess how old were you when you joined the military? And, how many times were you deployed over seas?

I joined at 17.

I went overseas once, 1994, Croatia (FRY) with 1 RCR Charles Coy.

dileas

tess

So I just broke it to my wife that I think I need to do a tour in the Sandbox to my wife, and I was met with less than enthusiasm, but grudging support.  How do I make it better for her? 

Take two pills and call me in the morning...

Hmm,

Well if you want an answer from my life experience, I was single and dating this girl when I went overseas.  I was 23, working as a produce manager at some Italian joint, and held the world by the short and curlies.

You on the other hand are married, hold down a good job, and want to go overseas.

I guess you should try the Ben Franklin method.  Sit down with your wife, and take a pen and pad of paper.  Draw a line down the middle of the page.  On one side write all the positive reasons for going, on the other all of the negative.

When you are done total both sides.  The one that has the most points decides whether you should go.

And for that pill use the Gel Advil, it helps my splitting headaches...

dileas

tess

Mud Recce Man said:
Favorite memory while serving is...?

Whoa..

Too many to tell.  I guess it was when the the War Museum opened the display with My iltis in the original Museum.  They had this grand opening with a bunch of dignitaries.  I got to meet some great people, one of them being Gen. Mackenzie.  He had been a fantastic person through out our recovery, letters and interview with us.  He really keep an eye on things.  When we met him that day, he greeted us by our first names (Phil and I) as if we were old buddies.

A great memory, for sure.

dileas

the 48th regulator said:
Whoa..

Too many to tell.  I guess it was when the the War Museum opened the display with My iltis in the original Museum.  They had this grand opening with a bunch of dignitaries.  I got to meet some great people, one of them being Gen. Mackenzie.  He had been a fantastic person through out our recovery, letters and interview with us.  He really keep an eye on things.  When we met him that day, he greeted us by our first names (Phil and I) as if we were old buddies.

A great memory, for sure.

dileas

Of course then there was the time in 97 when you met myself and 3 others coming back from Op Assistance (Winnipeg Floods)
and we hit the war museum.  They turned off the alarms on the exhibit and you (and us) got to get up close and personal
with the iltis.  Seeing your wax figure in the iltis with your 48th ring and 48th combat tabs... very cool!!!

We took our time getting to the Iltis... and when we got there, there was like 5 staff waiting for tess (since we arrived), one of
whom tess actually taught on BMQ in 95.  Definitely a cool visit.

(oh wait.. this is your best memory.. not mine...  stupid me!)

Prior to being wounded did you ever consider a career as reg infantry? What were your career aspirations prior to the event,or did it affect anything.

cheers

Back