• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armour (from the CF-5 thread)

spitty

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know how thick decent (chobham / dorchester)? armour is? How much does it weigh (lbs / ft2)?

Yes, some people know.

If they do, though, they won't be posting it on the internet, as they understand a concept called OPSEC.

dapaterson said:
Yes, some people know.

If they do, though, they won't be posting it on the internet, as they understand a concept called OPSEC.

Understood.

I'm trying to get my head around the requirements for a rough-field CAS aircraft. I have a rough idea an airframe which might be suitable, but weight is (as always) the most important detail. Can anyone ballpark the lb/ft2 of the sort of armour the "bathtub" in such an aircraft would require?

spitty said:
Understood.

I'm trying to get my head around the requirements for a rough-field CAS aircraft. I have a rough idea an airframe which might be suitable, but weight is (as always) the most important detail. Can anyone ballpark the lb/ft2 of the sort of armour the "bathtub" in such an aircraft would require?

I dont think anyone who has the answer will give it to you here.

At any rate, your question is too broad. Weight of the armour will depend on what thread you are defending against. As well, an armoured "bathtub" serves only to protect the pilot and other measures need to be taken to improve the survivability of the aircraft itself.

spitty said:
Understood.

I'm trying to get my head around the requirements for a rough-field CAS aircraft. I have a rough idea an airframe which might be suitable, but weight is (as always) the most important detail. Can anyone ballpark the lb/ft2 of the sort of armour the"bathtub" in such an aircraft would require?

Bathtub? Do you mean the cockpit?   ;D

I think he means the armoured bathtube concept like in the A-10 and SU-25.  I hope lol

Back