• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arming the World

Scoobie Newbie

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/arming-the-world/

Arming the World
CBC News investigates
A closer look at Canada's growing military exports
Last Updated October 29, 2007
By Margo Kelly, CBC News
Canada's military exports have soared in the past decade, a CBC News investigation has found, yet the federal government has not released an annual report on exports of arms and high tech military goods for four years.

Faced with a lack of information from Ottawa, CBC News did its own analysis, by constructing a database from figures kept by the Canada Border Services Agency.

CBC News found that military exports rose 3.5 times between 2000 and 2006. And according to the most recent report by the U.S. Congressional Research Service, Canada was the sixth biggest supplier of arms to the world in 2006.

Source: CBC News analysis of Canadian Border Services Agency data

The government's last annual report to Parliament, for 2002, showed that military exports had climbed to $678 million from $304 million in 1997 - more than doubling in five years. And that figure doesn't include sales to the United States, Canada's biggest customer.

Your view: Share your thoughts on this story

While the CBC News analysis doesn't capture total exports, it reveals the scale of growth of Canada's military export industry. Over the past seven years, Canada has exported $3.6 billion dollars in military goods. Canada now exports more arms and military goods than it imports.

During this period, the United States was Canada's biggest customer, with $2 billion in sales. Saudi Arabia took second place, at $527 million. Iraq bought $17 million dollars in military arms. And Canada sold arms and military products to more than 80 countries, including Egypt and China.

Calls for transparency

Critics say the government's silence is troubling at a time when the defence industry is growing so rapidly.

"We have not had data in four years — that is surprising to the point of astonishment," Janice Stein, director of the Munk Centre for International Studies at the University of Toronto, told CBC News.

"In its public foreign policy, Canada calls for transparency on this issue. It has supported an arms register, yet our own government hasn't released good, reliable data about who it's exporting to."

A spokesperson for the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade blamed the delay on "technical glitches" due to a new online reporting system for companies that export military goods.

Ken Epps, of the arms control watchdog group Project Ploughshares, scoffed at that response. He's been asking about the missing annual reports since Paul Martin was prime minister.

"It seems that each time there's another question about why the report hasn't come out, there is another excuse," Epps said. "So it's now getting to the point that it's not really credible what the real reasons are for the delay".

An 'international embarrassment'

The situation has become an international embarrassment for Canada, Epps said.

The Geneva-based Small Arms Survey recently dropped Canada's transparency rating because the reports aren't being released. "Canada's rating is 11 on the scale out of 20 this year, and the rating for Iran is 10.5. What does that say to you?" Epps said.

Officials in the defence industry have no answers as to why the government is so far behind in releasing information about Canada's military exports.

"Beats me," said Jeff MacLeod, the general manager of Colt Canada, which manufactures semi-automatic firearms and grenade launchers in Kitchener, Ont. "We report annually to both the Canadian government and the U.S. State Department, so it must be an internal issue with Foreign Affairs."

More than 500 companies are now making defence and security products across the country, according to Tim Page, president of the Canadian Association of Defence and Security Industries. The list of products is extensive, including night vision goggles, ammunition, rockets, missile components, sensors for unmanned aerial vehicles and armoured vehicles.

"The Canadian defence industry is one of those parts of the economy that people love not to think about too much," Page said. "And when they think about it, they think mostly about the stuff that goes bang in the night, whereas our industry now represents about 70,000 technology-based jobs in over 177 federal ridings across the country."

'Loophole' in the controls

Canadians shouldn't worry about military equipment falling into the wrong hands, Page said. "Canada is a global leader in how it manages its export of defence matériel," he said.

Arms control experts say that, in general, Canada has some of the best arms controls in the world, but there are loopholes that the government has known about for years.

"We've noted that there are a number of examples on a regular basis every year that Canada has exported to countries where there are persistent human rights violations," Epps said. "Examples include Colombia, Saudi Arabia, China and others, as well as countries that are at war, involved in hostilities. So we are concerned that Canada isn't meeting its own criteria when it's approving arms exports."

There are also concerns that sales to the United States aren't tracked and that most Canadian-made military goods cross the border without requiring export permits, owing to an agreement between the two countries signed in the 1940s.

"I think there's a huge loophole in the export controls," said Stein, of the University of Toronto. "The export licensing requirements for what we sell to the United States are so minimal that it is possible that if some of that equipment moves to third parties, we would never know."

CBC News repeatedly asked for in-depth interviews with International Trade Minister David Emerson and Foreign Affairs Minister Maxime Bernier, the two cabinet ministers responsible for overseeing the tracking of military sales and approving export permits. But those requests were denied. And for a full year, requests for background briefings by export control officials were also turned down.

I listened to this reporter on TV the other day talking about this story and what I found odd was that she had very little in the way of viable info and yet we are number 6 in the world supply "stuff".  They just don't know exactly what it is so in essence we could be suppling compass' to African nations and it could fall under military exports.

GDLS is doing booming business.  I believe SNC's former ammo plants have been bought out and are producing greater quantities than in the past.

My question would be to determine whether these are Canadian-origin goods, or good sold by Canadian companies - if GDLS Canada is selling RG-31s to another country, are those considered Canadian sales, even though they are manufactured abroad?

Talking yesterday to a good friend of mine who imports ammo (expect a whack of 7.62x39 to hit the market shortly) The US is paying up to a $1.25 a round. Most ammo makers are telling their civiy customers to take a hike as of next year as they make far more selling to the military. If I had a ammo plant I would be pumping it out also.

The question to me is not so much how much we make or sell-especially when the parameters of exactly how we define "arms" or "military hardware" aren't even being clearly stated-it's about WHO we sell it to. There, I agree with those raising an alarm. We may not be able to control re-sales,  but we should be exercising some control over who gets what when it comes to weapons or their immediate primary components such as fire control systems and optics.

Cheers

For all we know the sale of "military hardware" could include toilet paper, camalbacks, jerrican, fuzes, bullets, wiring components, etc.

Also I wonder if these reports every balance out wage differences. There is a big difference if the US sells a Destroyer for 3 billion to Taiwan and China sells 3 billion worth of small arms to it's African Client states.

Colin P said:
Talking yesterday to a good friend of mine who imports ammo (expect a whack of 7.62x39 to hit the market shortly) The US is paying up to a $1.25 a round. Most ammo makers are telling their civiy customers to take a hike as of next year as they make far more selling to the military. If I had a ammo plant I would be pumping it out also.

- It takes awhile to spool up moth-balled Army Ammunition Plants, increase capacity at existing facillities or build new ones, but the USA should have new production sources on line soon (if not already)

- SNC was bought out by General Dynamics.

These reports should be of no surprise to anyone.  Canada has had a very active military arms industry for decades.  Why should we be any different to other countries.

jollyjacktar said:
These reports should be of no surprise to anyone.  Canada has had a very active military arms industry for decades.  Why should we be any different to other countries.

True - would still be interesting to know what exactly it is that we export.  It would not only answer the debate here, but you can bet the anti-war groups will be using these quotes in their future propoganda, and would be nice to be able to tell the truth from their usual BS.

Edit - thinking on it a bit more, it shows an amazing lack of knowledge on the part of all those groups who advocate a return to 'the good old peacekeeping days'.  You cant pretend to be a partner in world peace when your country is an alleged major arms producer, hence there should be an interest on their part in finding out what exactly we export.

Back