• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armed Forces Consider incentives to keep soldiers fit

Lumber said:
First , I think a few the heads of a few combat arms types on here exploded. You mean to imply that an hour of PT everyday isn't already mandatory???

Nope!  :nod:

Lumber said:
As for PT every day? Let me put it this way. I work out 3 times a week, sometimes 2. None of these PT sessions are at work, although we did start playing ball hockey again, once a week. According to the DFit website, I reached the Silver incentive level. So why do I need to do PT every day? How about PT 3 times a week and an hour of cooking and cooking preparation twice a week so that I can show my subordinates how to eat healthy?

I absolutely LOVE this suggestion!! We could get Gordon Ramsay or Micheal Smith for PD... or Kat Cora!!

BinRat55 said:
I was being serious...

So was I! You can do PT twice a day, every day, but if your troops are going home and shoveling nothing but fast food and frozen dinners down their gullets, you're not going to see much improvement.

Lumber said:
So was I! You can do PT twice a day, every day, but if your troops are going home and shoveling nothing but fast food and frozen dinners down their gullets, you're not going to see much improvement.

You are so right. Ever since I caught diabetes (yep. I caught it. there.) I have learned so much more about eating habits. I did the Top Fuel courses but they have nothing on good old experience teaching inexperience. I do love the suggestion because there are so many different things you can do and directions to go with it - all in the promotion of health. Have your unit buy a bench press, treadmill, bike. But instead of the TV and entertainment system, by a stove and fridge. Use it to teach your subordinates how to cook healthy!

Cue the Jim Carey voice in Dumb and Dumber - "I like it. I like it a lot."

Lumber said:

Haybox meals. Lots of times you run out of the meat but there's cardboard boxes full of jolouis, caramilk cupcakes and all that crap.

Jarnhamar said:
Haybox meals. Lots of times you run out of the meat but there's cardboard boxes full of jolouis, caramilk cupcakes and all that crap.

Yes, Joe Louies and Caramel Cupcakes - THATS what I caught diabetes from!!

BinRat55 said:
Yes, Joe Louies and Caramel Cupcakes - THATS what I caught diabetes from!!

Don't forget le Pepsi! (the Farnham box lunches are still, to this day, my favourite!)

Lumber said:
Don't forget le Pepsi! (the Farnham box lunches are still, to this day, my favourite!)

Or the nutritious fare they stock in the canteens at various units.

Nothing like killing it during a 5 K and loading calories up with a McSweeney's danish and a Monster....

Jarnhamar said:
... there's cardboard boxes full of jolouis, caramilk cupcakes and all that crap ...
One man's junk food is another's "Industrial and Regional Benefits"  ;D
logo1980.png

It is always bizarre to go to the mess and see the "healthy eating" signs on the table after you have passed a pop machine at the serving line...

The servers always load you up with the starches as well, but only a tiny serving of vegetables (OK, they are mostly steamed, but still....)

So we have a long way to go on the nutrition side as well.

ArmyVern said:
Some Units outside of those SOF and Joint Units are sitting well below the full up strength or even a workable strength. 

It's fun being in a unit that does op's all over the place, all the time but is a lower VCDS Pri than recruiting centers and HQs and is always a few people short of a parade.  :mad:

And by fun, I mean not fun.

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
As far as deciding between a slob that's good at their job and a fit person that's bad at their job, that's just a false binary statement. Can I be good at my job and be able to run 10 KM (which really should be trivial for anyone in the military)? Yes absolutely, it's a false dichotomy.

I wanted to add to this, as it couldn't be more spot on. Why is there a belief that if we go back to 2 per points for exemption, that it will result in the wrong people being promoted. The slobs aren't all stars at their jobs, and the fit people are not all plugs. If the unfit person is truly as good as people believe, write them up so that they are competitive at the board. If the fit individual is being promoted, it's likely because he is both fit and good at his job. 2 points isn't a big enough advantage to disregard the bulk of the rest of the points he earned by being good at his particular trade.

ArmyVern said:
Some Units outside of those SOF and Joint Units are sitting well below the full up strength or even a workable strength.

SF Op is currently <80% manning, everyone is hurting. Being shiny and appealing doesn't result in perfect numbers, it just means you're higher up the manning priority list.

It's important to remember that these are Potential points we're talking about. That's two points out of a total of 10 possible that are considered for Potential, on top of one's raw PER score. There are many factors that give you up to two points, in addition to fitness. There's language, posting history, posting preferences, education etc. One could get their 10 points without fitness being considered. That being said, these point only count as a percentage. Given the rank and trade, these 10 potential points could be rated at 30%-40%.

From a personal perspective, I don't agree with points for fitness. I think attaining the standard is sufficient. You don't pass your fitness, you don't go to the board... even if you're the shiniest star in the trade. Medical and other valid exemptions not included, of course.

Thucydides said:
It is always bizarre to go to the mess and see the "healthy eating" signs on the table after you have passed a pop machine at the serving line...

The servers always load you up with the starches as well, but only a tiny serving of vegetables (OK, they are mostly steamed, but still....)

So we have a long way to go on the nutrition side as well.

Actually, the National Standardized Cycle Menu (NSCM) that is nationally mandated is quite strict on portion sizes and offers both vegetarian and healthy choice options (and one "local" option which is normally the unhealthy but desirable option). If you're getting too large a portion, advise your Food Svcs O... it'll help them with their costs too.

There's also a salad bar......

Lumber said:
First , I think a few the heads of a few combat arms types on here exploded. You mean to imply that an hour of PT everyday isn't already mandatory???

Second, let's talk about results. I mentioned in my last post about wanting a fat-slob over a super-fit person sitting in the SWC chair (for those of you confused, that's Sensors and Weapons Controller). Now, fat-slob was hyperbole, as I still expect that member to be able to complete the FORCE test. If he can complete the FORCE test, than I expect him to be able to drag my unconscious body out of the Ops room when the super-fit but less competent guy misses the 2nd trail in a stream-raid and we just took a C-803 amidship. I just think, in this scenario specifically, that technical competency carries more weight than physical competency. And unlike many of you, I think the FORCE test does a good enough job of determining whether my ship mates will be able to carry unconscious bodies through the ship.

As for PT every day? Let me put it this way. I work out 3 times a week, sometimes 2. None of these PT sessions are at work, although we did start playing ball hockey again, once a week. According to the DFit website, I reached the Silver incentive level. So why do I need to do PT every day? How about PT 3 times a week and an hour of cooking and cooking preparation twice a week so that I can show my subordinates how to eat healthy?

Why do you constantly assume the fit guy is always less competent? In my experience fitter people tend to be more competent not less so.

Jarnhamar said:

Maybe the caramilk cupcakes are left over because everyone else had the sense to skip over them.

ModlrMike said:
...You don't pass your fitness, you don't go to the board... even if you're the shiniest star in the trade. Medical and other valid exemptions not included, of course.

It's already this way for the Loggies ... and not just for a "fail".  Result expired on date boards commence? Then no file goes to boards for you.

Less the exemption you point out.

cld617 said:
SF Op is currently <80% manning, everyone is hurting. Being shiny and appealing doesn't result in perfect numbers, it just means you're higher up the manning priority list.

Very bad example.  Expansion plans for that occupation were poorly drafted and grossly overoptimistic.

dapaterson said:
Very bad example.  Expansion plans for that occupation were poorly drafted and grossly overoptimistic.

They're also allowed to fail a huge majority off their courses, something us in the regular army would like to do, but can't.

Back