• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armed barricaded soldier surrenders to RCMP

CdnArtyWife

Inactive
Reaction score
Armed barricaded soldier surrenders to RCMP
Internet comments alert military police
Trish Audette, The Edmonton Journal
Published: 1:37 am
Article Link

EDMONTON - Armed and alone, a troubled Edmonton soldier barricaded himself inside his Gibbons home for more than two hours Sunday morning.

The standoff ended when the 31-year-old came outside wearing full dress uniform. The soldier, whose name was not released, remained in police custody Sunday night.

"It seems to me that people looked after each other and they saved a human life," said Canadian Forces Base Edmonton spokesman Capt. Lou Marselje.

"In some ways this all ended up on a very positive note." Marselje could not say how long the man has been a soldier. No details were available on the weekend about the man's history with the armed forces. It is believed that he had not served in Afghanistan, Marselje said.

On Saturday night at about 11 p.m., Morinville RCMP were called by military police at Edmonton Garrison because someone who knows the soldier saw comments on an Internet site that raised concerns. Police went to the Gibbons home and reported back to military police that the man was OK.

More on Link

wow... I'm glad he's alive. Now we can try and figure out what's wrong and help the man.

Am glad that everyone thought with their head instead of their a$$ & looked after the poor man.

Get well soon

Chimo!

Bravo Zulu

There is still intelligent life here...they didn't go in guns drawn...
I hope the member gets the help needed

An unloaded 40-calibre pistol was recovered along with the single round of ammunition he held in his hand.

This is sad to see.  I hope he gets the help he needs.

Someone deserves a well done for thinking and then acting.
"Morinville RCMP were called by military police at Edmonton Garrison because someone who knows the soldier saw comments on an Internet site that raised concerns."

Big BZ to the chain of command, for following up and ensuring the Padres were sent out to visit the home.  No one will ever know what would or wouldn't of happened, but no doubt their presence made a difference that day.  Now that is family looking after family.

EW said:
Big BZ to the chain of command, for following up and ensuring the Padres were sent out to visit the home.  No one will ever know what would or wouldn't of happened, but no doubt their presence made a difference that day.  Now that is family looking after family.

Not to mention making sure they look good to the local papers...

Back