• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arizona Congresswoman shot

Bass ackwards

Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
I just caught a bit of this on the radio.

From QMI agency:

A U.S. congresswoman was shot in the head at a Arizona grocery store during a public event Saturday morning, reports say.

Gabrielle Giffords and at least 10 other people, including staff members of hers, were hurt after a shooting spree outside a Tucson Safeway after 10 a.m., according to National Public Radio.

Reportedly, Giffords was shot point blank in the head while hosting a meet-and-greet event at the grocery store.

A man reportedly fired randomly and fled, but the alleged shooter was subdued by a bystander and is in custody, according to local media.

Giffords, a Democrat elected for a third-term last November, was taken to hospital. Her condition is not yet known.

Link here:  http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2011/01/08/16812071.html

The latest I got was that 5 were dead including Ms. Giffords and one child -though there were some possible indications that Ms. Giffords may still be alive.
Condolences to the families of the dead and wounded.

I've heard conflicting reports about her status, as well as if the shooter is in custody.

My condolences.

Every report I've read indicated the shooter was tackled and is in custody. Young male, late teens or early twenties. I've read him described as white.

Reports still conflicting over whether Mrs. Giffords is alive. Sources at the hospital have indicated that's she's in critical condition and is in surgery. Numerous witnesses report she was shot in the head. Conflicting reports over additiona wounded- numbers varying between 6 and 12, with some reports of up to 6 dead.

Retuers quotes Pres. Obama stating she's 'gravely wounded', and that 'some have passed away'.

Info obviously still developing, but if Obama's referring to her as wounded, safe bet he's being fed reliable info on this through a pretty direct chain.

I'm pulling this off the last 15 minutes' worth of Google News reports, with a preference for newer reports.

Update from the head of trauma at the hospital: They have completed surgery on her, and he is optimistic on her recovery. They received 10 patients. Of those, 1, a child about 9 years old, has died. 5 are in critical condition. Also, MSNBC reports that the chief judge of Arizona and an aide of the Congresswoman were killed.

Edit: forgot to note that they also said the Congresswoman was responsive prior to surgery. She is now under anaesthesia.

Apparently the shooter was a 20 something caucasian male who was pissed off at the government for using mind control and taking away people's guns.

Also, CNN is reporting that the congresswoman is out of surgery in critical condition with a single gun shot wound to the head.

I can't confirm it, but apparently he's a veteran, as was in Afghanistan. Again that's unconfirmed.

The shooter is apparently a 22 year old white male named Jared Loughner.
Still not sure of the motive, although that is certainly not stopping the peanut galleries on both the CBC and FOX (to name but two) from using this tragedy to stoke their various fires.

Jared's youtube page, supposedly.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Classitup10

Your link is not working, at least for me, Michael.

Some more updates:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/01/08/20110108arizona-congresswoman-gabrielle-giffords-shooting-suspect08brk-ON.html

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/01/08/20110108arizona-giffords-brk.html

Bass ackwards - I watched some Fox coverage today. All of their commentary was focused on the tragedy, not partisan nattering. On the other hand reader comments attached to articles on every major news website I have visited had idiots posting BS.

Newf - I haven't seen anything indicating he was a Veteran.

Had a quick look and current method is lethal injection but those sentenced before Nov.1992 can choose lethal gas  >:D

This individual has a credible claim on the insanity defense, I think. Pretty classic evidence of paranoid schizophrenia.

Brihard said:
This individual has a credible claim on the insanity defense, I think. Pretty classic evidence of paranoid schizophrenia.

Which will play right into the Left's hypothosis that it is not the individual at fault, but the inanimate object (firearm).

Oh No a Canadian said:
Jared's youtube page, supposedly.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Classitup10

Your link is not working, at least for me, Michael.

Besides mind-control babble he's got streaming ... me thinks he was also attempting a 'suicide by cop' ... note that his bio comments are all in the past tense:

Name:Jared Lee Loughner
Channel Views:271
About Me:

My name is Jared Lee Loughner!

Hometown:Tucson

Schools:
I attended school: Thornydale elementary,Tortolita Middle School, Mountain View Highschool, Northwest Aztec Middle College, and Pima Community College.

Interests:  My favorite interest was reading, and I studied grammar. Conscience dreams were a great study in college!

Movies:  (*My idiom: I could coin the moment!*)

Music:  Pass me the strings!

Books:  I had favorite books: Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Wizard Of OZ, Aesop Fables, The Odyssey, Alice Adventures Into Wonderland, Fahrenheit 451, Peter Pan, To Kill A Mockingbird, We The Living, Phantom Toll Booth, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Pulp,Through The Looking Glass, The Communist Manifesto, Siddhartha, The Old Man And The Sea, Gulliver's Travels, Mein Kampf, The Republic, and Meno.

(Bold is my edit to above from his page) ...

And, quite the closer that he's got on his stream:

In conclusion, my ambition is for informing literate dreamers about a new currency; in a few days, you know I'm conscience dreaming! Thank you!

A little bit of pre-meditation perhaps?

It sounds like the shooter had some serious mental health issues:
On the evening Pima Community College suspended Loughner, two Pima officers delivered the letter of suspension to Loughner at his and his parent's home, where they spoke with him and family, the statement reported.

Loughner and his parents met with Northwest Campus administrators Oct. 4 last year. During the meeting, Loughner indicated he would withdraw from the college. A follow-up letter was sent to him Oct. 7, telling him that he must obtain a mental health clearance from a professional saying that his presence at Pima college would not present a danger to himself or others.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/01/08/20110108arizona-congresswoman-gabrielle-giffords-shooting-suspect08brk-ON.html#ixzz1AVUZD5Xi

The ramblings from his youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Classitup10

It looks like psychosis, schizophrenia.  The incident at the college could have been a first-episode psychosis, his age is ripe for it, previous loner.  I wonder if he did recieve a mental health assessment, whether he complied with taking his medications (sometimes it's a really tough battle to get a person with paranoid schizophrenia to comply with medication  usage.  They believe so strongly in their delusions and where their disorganized thinking takes them; they don't trust the 'state'.

The ramblings, math formulas and although he expresses some loosely associated convuluted lefty stuff, he's paranoid to be forthcoming about his points, feels he has to communicate in 'code'.  I guess he didn't read any Noam Chomsky or Naomi Klein, Maud Barlow. . .because they've been direct and the 'state' hasn't come after them.  I've had experience dealing with paranoid schizophrenics, 'literate ones' and seen the twisting of what they read, to justify delusions and actions.  I can also see, he's trying to compensate by presenting "logic".  It looks to me that he was not compliant in either seeking medical mental health assessment, or to take his medications.

Those are my impressions.  This is a truly a very terrible tragedy.  The tragedy is also that this wasn't caught in time, before lives were lost, injured, and the terrible suffering as a result.  Hoping for full recovery of those injuried and deep condolences to the families, friends, colleagues who have lost their loved ones due to this terrible tragic event.

From The New York Times:

Arizona Suspect’s Online Trail Offers Hints of Alienation

A suspected gunman, in a few public hints, offered a sense of his alienation from society, confusion, anger as well as foreboding that his life could soon come to an end.

http://nyti.ms/efvlnd

and from further in the article..."Army officials said Saturday that he had tried to enlist but had been rejected for military service. Privacy rules prevented them from disclosing the reason."

Brihard said:

If I were a prosecutor in a DP state ... and I saw his youtube page with the past-tense usage ... I'd be offering it up as proof of premeditation & to counteract any kooookooooooo angle from the defence.

Plus, if there is indeed a second suspect, then it's "Conspiracy to..."  Correct?

From The New York Times:

2nd Suspect Sought in Arizona Shooting

A suspect was in custody after Representative Gabrielle Giffords was wounded and John M. Roll, a federal judge, was killed, near Tuscon.

http://nyti.ms/fGst8y

A recent (before all this happened) post from his myspace page.

"Dear friends ... please don't be mad at me. The literacy rate is below 5%. I haven't talked to one person who is literate".

ArmyVern said:
If I were a prosecutor in a DP state ... and I saw his youtube page with the past-tense usage ... I'd be offering it up as proof of premeditation & to counteract any kooookooooooo angle from the defence.
He has obviously been "troubled" for some time, just because he planned it doesn't mean he is sane.

Back