• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are We Making The Most Of Our Supp List?

TCBF

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
- I just spoke to a friend on the Supp List who is convinced that no concerted effort is being made to milk them for their experience and slot them onto tours.  One would think that at this point - when we are stripping PRes units of badly needed pers to fill the CFTPOs - that it might be a good idea to broaden our base of volunteers.  The big gap appears to be those Supp List pers who are no longer affiliated with a unit and live in areas where there are no PRes units.

- Comments, anyone?

TCBF said:
- I just spoke to a friend on the Supp List who is convinced that no concerted effort is being made to milk them for their experience and slot them onto tours.  One would think that at this point - when we are stripping PRes units of badly needed pers to fill the CFTPOs - that it might be a good idea to broaden our base of volunteers.  The big gap appears to be those Supp List pers who are no longer affiliated with a unit and live in areas where there are no PRes units.

- Comments, anyone?

I know that one guy from my old civi job is actually going through the process of getting back in from the supp list after being contacted by DND. He's an ex WO and is supposedly going to have a position in the training system.

I think it makes sense, but I guess it would be on a case by case basis, as I'm sure not all are still up to par to go overseas. There's plenty of young PRes troops itching for a tour, and not getting them due to lack of courses etc.

I spent a brief period on the supp list in the early 90's, when my civ job commitments had me moving around too much to really commit to the Res F.  When I finally settled down and wanted to resume working with the Reserves, moving from the Supp List to the Primary Res proved to be a 9 month nightmare, that required me to actually ramrod much of the process.  The system wasn't just broken...it was obstructive.  I don't know if things have improved, but based on my experience, my answer to the OP's question is a clear "no".

That said, the story above about the WO being invited back is heartening.  The Supp Res badly needs a massive overhaul, so maybe it's finally getting it (to some extent, anyway).

While I've only been out for a few years, the supp list has me confused.  I signed up, of course, but there doesn't seem to be a current up to date list of all of the retired people with their qualifications.  I asked a few questions once, and I couldn't get an answer to anything.

Perhaps some one is starting to make an effort, I sure hope so.  It's my feeling that is an under-utilized resource.

The supp list is an administrative monstrosity......
Some years ago, people on the supp list kept their DEU and were expected to report in once a year - to collect their 100$ bounty.  As long as they continued to report in, you had something to work with..... nowadays, it's all pert much of a never never land.

Back