• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are we falling behind in Math and Science?

EricBoss

Inactive
Reaction score
EricBoss said:
Does that mean us North Americans are falling behind?
Personally, I believe that we  North Americans are falling behind... which suggests adding Grammar to our Math and Science shortcomings.

How can we improve North American academic success?
Do you believe that these Asian wiz-kids are genetically predisposed to excel in the STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, mathematics)....or maybe...just maybe, their society -- parents, community, schools -- encourage  success there?  I'm pretty sure that if they were routinely told, "go play with your cell phone, surf YouTube videos, and leave me alone," then those kids would be equally enroute to "Idiocracy."

I just think we need more innovators and free thinkers like the Wright brothers
To paraphrase Vizzini, "Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Gates, Zuckerman, Musk?  Morons."

haha Yes might as well add grammar in there too bud :) (Damn you Mrs. Winship - ha!)

'Canadian 15-year-olds are among the best in the world in science and science-based technology, according to a new report 2016 from the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).'

Always room for improvement  but no need to hit the panic button. Having taught students and teachers on 3 continents I believe our systems in Canada are pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like our education systems to work on critical thinking because not everything on the internet is true.

... and some people cannot even distinguish satire from fact.

I would place interpersonal communications (non electronic) way up there on the priority to teach list.

ueo said:
I would place interpersonal communications (non electronic) way up there on the priority to teach list.

Says the one posting on an online forum...  ;D

Orientals have been excelling at math and science for decades. You can probably add most of the arts also

Lumber: Your snide comment aside, I  had learned these skills and put them to use long before the advent of the internet, chatter and all the truncated forms of present day communication. I have also worked in academia and still hold that we must teach our children the basic face to face constructs and skills. Does that preclude me participating in a forum such as this, especially one that demands well thought out and presented posts? What say the rest of you?

ueo said:
Lumber: Your snide comment aside, I  had learned these skills and put them to use long before the advent of the internet, chatter and all the truncated forms of present day communication. I have also worked in academia and still hold that we must teach our children the basic face to face constructs and skills. Does that preclude me participating in a forum such as this, especially one that demands well thought out and presented posts? What say the rest of you?

Our past experience don't preclude us from participating in anything; fill your boots. My comment was not meant to be snide, but light and humorous.

ueo said:

I, for one, say: You are right. You must have worked in academia before to use sentences like "basic face to face constructs" to mean social skills.  [:D

Oldgateboatdriver said:
... You must have worked in academia before to use sentences like "basic face to face constructs" to mean social skills.  [:D
Touché  :rofl:

ueo said:
..... a forum such as this, especially one that demands well thought out and presented posts?
I'm sorry; I just can't decide which emoji is most appropriate.....  ;)

Back