• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

Polar Circle cIcebreakerPolarCircle.jpgPolar Circle currently in St. John's, maybe a good ship for Canadian Coast Guard.

And while we congratulate ourselves .....

Photo-Norwegian-Defence-Materiel-Agency-main1.jpg

The Norwegian Coast Guard christened the first Jan Mayen-class vessel at the Vard Langsten shipyard in Tomrefjord on October 16, 2022.​

The hulls are built at Vard Tulcea shipyard in Romania, while it will be the Vard Langsten shipyard in Norway that will complete the three vessels. Deliveries are expected for 2022, 2023, and 2024.

The 136 meters long Jan Mayen class vessels get multiple tasks, including fishery inspections, search- and rescue, territorial guarding and oil-spill preparedness.

Full load displacement of the new ice-strengthened vessels will be 9,800 tons with a draft of 6,2 meters and a beam of 22 meters. Each vessel can accommodate up to 100 people.

Ships expected to be in operation by 2024​

Like Norway’s largest Coast Guard vessel today, the “KV Svalbard”, also the Jan Mayen class will house a hangar and a deck for helicopters.

The three new Coast Guard vessels will be built by Vard Group and have a cost of NOK 7.2 billion (~$720 million). Defense Materiel is responsible for the procurement.

The Norwegian Government announced plans to construct three new coast guard vessels in September 2016. Upon reviewing offers from three shipyards, Vard Langsten shipyard was selected for further negotiations in October 2017.

The Norwegian parliament approved the investment for the vessels in June 2018. Vard signed a Nkr5bn ($617m) contract for the construction of three coast guard vessels for the Norwegian Coast Guard in the same month.

The hulls of three vessels will be built at the Vard Tulcea shipyard in Romania. Deliveries are expected to be completed by VARD Langsten shipyard in Norway, in 2022, 2023 and 2024 respectively.

Attended the naming ceremony for HMCS William Hall at Halifax Shipyards yesterday. Beautiful sunny day for an important milestone of a ship. A few observations:
  • Irving elder has an uncanny resemblance to Christopher Plummer;
  • Irving’s put on quite the spread at the reception, obviously they are not constrained by TB rules (and yes I’m aware that they have charged the crown handsomely for that spread!😉);
  • I understand the MND speaking at the event, but JFC there were two more federal MP’s and a MLA who also gave thinly veiled stump speeches. It was more than a little awkward. Also all of their talk was about JOBS JOBS JOBS! Nothing about the world situation and the need for a capable military;
  • I liked the mix of western and FN ceremonies to bless the ship and its crew;
  • CRCN covered the strategic need for the Navy pretty well;
  • The sponsor, Mr Craig Gibson gave à very good speech to honour P.O. Hall, BZ!

Next in the hopper is Frederick Rolette!

JFC there were two more federal MP’s and a MLA who also gave thinly veiled stump speeches. It was more than a little awkward. Also all of their talk was about JOBS JOBS JOBS! Nothing about the world situation and the need for a capable military;
I don't know what the federal MP's portfolios are, but (esp the MLA's speech) I'd expect the point of their speeches to be the benefits for the Halifax constituents. They, like all politicians, are elected by their voters.

It doesn't really help to have 4 politicians essentially repeating each other about the world situation. MND and CRCN would presumably be talking about that.

I don't know what the federal MP's portfolios are, but (esp the MLA's speech) I'd expect the point of their speeches to be the benefits for the Halifax constituents. They, like all politicians, are elected by their voters.

It doesn't really help to have 4 politicians essentially repeating each other about the world situation. MND and CRCN would presumably be talking about that.
One was the MP for riding the shipyard is in, while the second was the MP for the riding Hall is from. They had a right to be there, I feel they didn’t need to say anything, the Minister would have been enough.

This event was about the ship and the man it was named for. Leave the politics out of it.

I don’t see a communications management job in my future.

This event was about the ship and the man it was named for. Leave the politics out of it.
Agreed, but I'm guessing that the MP's staffs had prepared speaking points for said MPs, and it looks bad (to them) to say "oh, you're not talking now".

I would also say that they didn't need to speak but I'm sure egos say otherwise. The question would be who was overall in charge of that part - was it RCN PA, ADM (PA), etc?

I wonder if we will ever realize defence procurement and production should be about the end product and not a federal employment program ?
My guess is no, just based on the dollar value of some of those projects.

I don't think anyone would bat an eye about the minor capital projects, but if the the governing party's politicians didn't say something about a procurement like the F-35 or the CSC, I would suspect the the Opposition party would jump on that by saying "why is [insert governing party] hiding the fact that we're spending X million/billion dollars on this without telling the public?"

The governing party would then have to say "well yes, but these are the benefits (of which jobs and employment is an obvious and easy selling point)." The way to deflate the Oppo's potential attack is to state outright that the project would bring whatever benefits to Canadians. Yes, it is totally hypocritical but don't tell me they wouldn't if it gets voters on their side, esp in a financial situation like now.

Honest question: If you (or me, or anyone reading this) didn't have some stake in Defence, would you rate it as high on the list compared to housing, healthcare, taxes, etc? I know I wouldn't.

Agreed, but I'm guessing that the MP's staffs had prepared speaking points for said MPs, and it looks bad (to them) to say "oh, you're not talking now".

I would also say that they didn't need to speak but I'm sure egos say otherwise. The question would be who was overall in charge of that part - was it RCN PA, ADM (PA), etc?

My guess is no, just based on the dollar value of some of those projects.

I don't think anyone would bat an eye about the minor capital projects, but if the the governing party's politicians didn't say something about a procurement like the F-35 or the CSC, I would suspect the the Opposition party would jump on that by saying "why is [insert governing party] hiding the fact that we're spending X million/billion dollars on this without telling the public?" The governing party would then have to say "well yes, but these are the benefits (of which jobs and employment is an obvious and easy selling point)."

Yes, it is totally hypocritical but don't tell me they wouldn't if it gets voters on their side, esp in a financial situation like now.

You're right... But a guy can dream can't he ? Lol

I'd love to see a politician tell their opposition to STFU this is about getting the best most reliable equipment for our force. Not about employment in St Louis De Poutine.

You're right... But a guy can dream can't he ? Lol

I'd love to see a politician tell their opposition to STFU this is about getting the best most reliable equipment for our force. Not about employment in St Louis De Poutine.
That politician would probably be looking for different employment the next day.

The Oppo would easily (and probably rightly) say "oh, but those are my [or point to one of their MP's] constituents. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't support them? Politicians are supposed to be the voice of their people, correct?"

Awkward silence

Actually the builder (in this case Irving) is in charge of the event. RCN PA had a supporting hand in the event, but Irving was definitely in charge. As for the MP’s? Likely Katie Telford wrote the entire speech. 😉

One was the MP for riding the shipyard is in, while the second was the MP for the riding Hall is from. They had a right to be there, I feel they didn’t need to say anything, the Minister would have been enough.

I don’t see a communications management job in my future.
I've seen the opposite as well. Just got an unfortunate bunch. Thing is they don't realize it but they won't be quoted in any media on that speach. The big guns get the spotlight.

Attended the naming ceremony for HMCS William Hall at Halifax Shipyards yesterday. Beautiful sunny day for an important milestone of a ship. A few observations:
  • Irving elder has an uncanny resemblance to Christopher Plummer;
  • Irving’s put on quite the spread at the reception, obviously they are not constrained by TB rules (and yes I’m aware that they have charged the crown handsomely for that spread!😉);
  • I understand the MND speaking at the event, but JFC there were two more federal MP’s and a MLA who also gave thinly veiled stump speeches. It was more than a little awkward. Also all of their talk was about JOBS JOBS JOBS! Nothing about the world situation and the need for a capable military;
  • I liked the mix of western and FN ceremonies to bless the ship and its crew;
  • CRCN covered the strategic need for the Navy pretty well;
  • The sponsor, Mr Craig Gibson gave à very good speech to honour P.O. Hall, BZ!

Next in the hopper is Frederick Rolette!
Hopefully they were able to implement some of the fixes to the current issues before she hit the water.

It is very interesting to me, as a resident of HRM for many decades, how folks in the City completely miss how the awarding of the Combat portion of the NSSP has absolutely transformed the Halifax region. I remember Darrel Dexter ,a former RCN PAO but Premier at the time of the awarding, commenting that Halifax was in a boom with twelve Construction cranes above the City.
Within a year of Irving starting the renovation of Halifax Shipyard the Cranes had doubled to 24 and are now at least 30. They have been over 30 for the last ten years. A friend of mine is a managing owner of a local architecture firm and he says there is at least as much activity on the Horizon to maintain this pace for at least ten more Years. The World and its money has found Halifax and see the Federal investment as a vote of confidence in the NSSP and the Halifax area.

Bravo Zulu to the future HMCS William Hall and the first Canadian born (Nova Scotia) recipient of the Victoria Cross .

It is very interesting to me, as a resident of HRM for many decades, how folks in the City completely miss how the awarding of the Combat portion of the NSSP has absolutely transformed the Halifax region. I remember Darrel Dexter ,a former RCN PAO but Premier at the time of the awarding, commenting that Halifax was in a boom with twelve Construction cranes above the City.
Within a year of Irving starting the renovation of Halifax Shipyard the Cranes had doubled to 24 and are now at least 30. They have been over 30 for the last ten years. A friend of mine is a managing owner of a local architecture firm and he says there is at least as much activity on the Horizon to maintain this pace for at least ten more Years. The World and its money has found Halifax and see the Federal investment as a vote of confidence in the NSSP and the Halifax area.

Bravo Zulu to the future HMCS William Hall and the first Canadian born (Nova Scotia) recipient of the Victoria Cross .
Correlation may not be causation in this case, though those good paying jobs don't hurt at all. Halifax hit a 420 million people in 2014. That's a critical number. Its the number when a city becomes self sustaining and diverse enough in its economy that people don't need to leave to find work. It's also the number where the ethnic communities of new Canadians are large enough that many don't feel the need to move to Montreal or Toronto to be connected with people from back home.

Combined with ALL the government money from Municipal, Regional, Provincial and Federal to make a stable employment base and the plethora of good schools/universities/colleges...

Halifax has it going on. I was amazed at the change after being away for 10 years when I went back in 2017.

The first person born in what would eventually become Canada to receive the Victoria Cross was Alexander Dunn of the 11th Hussars, for actions during the Charge of the Light Brigade at Balaclava during the Crimean War. Dunn was born in York, in Upper Canada.

Correlation may not be causation in this case, though those good paying jobs don't hurt at all. Halifax hit a 420 million people in 2014. That's a critical number. Its the number when a city becomes self sustaining and diverse enough in its economy that people don't need to leave to find work. It's also the number where the ethnic communities of new Canadians are large enough that many don't feel the need to move to Montreal or Toronto to be connected with people from back home.

Combined with ALL the government money from Municipal, Regional, Provincial and Federal to make a stable employment base and the plethora of good schools/universities/colleges...

Halifax has it going on. I was amazed at the change after being away for 10 years when I went back in 2017.
The Halifax CMA now has an estimated population of over 480,000. Crazy population growth not seen since WW 2.

The Halifax CMA now has an estimated population of over 480,000. Crazy population growth not seen since WW 2.

It's out paced our infrastructure in dramatic fashion.

There is a real culture war going on right now as Halifax transitions from a sleepy quaint maritime town, to a bustling major center. Lots of life long residents are not happy with the way the city is changing and growing.

But progress has always scared martimers.

It's out paced our infrastructure in dramatic fashion.

There is a real culture war going on right now as Halifax transitions from a sleepy quaint maritime town, to a bustling major center. Lots of life long residents are not happy with the way the city is changing and growing.

But progress has always scared martimers.
I kept getting told to 'go back to Toronto' 15 years ago (I hate T.O. FWIW) so I don't think it's a new thing, just more pronounced.

There was a lot I liked about living there, but hopefully they have done something about the schools. Kids finishing high school with an effective literacy rate in the 80ish percent is appalling. That one was a dealbreaker for raising a family there.

Indeed, many people miss or ignore the advantages that long term large scale domestic investment/production can offer, it's really a value to the community and I'm not surprised that the politicians at the event relentlessly hammered that fact home. With the city growing from other investments and populations increases, the area should be doing well for decades to come.

As a bit of a Canadian history nerd, it's great to see many forgotten or underappreciated service members from the past finally get some well needed recognition. A lot of the navy's founding or important figures are lucky to get a random out of the way building or a cadet unit named after them at best. Shame this is likely the only time we will use this kind of naming scheme for awhile.

Back