• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

That's a nice change, the CPF crests/mottos are generally pretty lame.

You don't get a new crest every time a new ship hits the water. The CPF's crests are, where they existed (just about all of them but St. John's), the crests of the WWII ships of the same name.

Everything gets passed on from early ship to new ship: Battle honours, crest, name plates - if still in existence - etc. etc.

When MONTREAL commissioned, we, at DONNACONA, returned all the original MONTREAL's memorabilia that had been entrusted to us to the new ship of that name and retrieved the original ship's bell from the city of Montreal for them.

:ROFLMAO:

I know, I know...they didn't write that in pre-Unification RCN
There was a story in the CBC about awarding the VC to Private LaRochelle.

They had this picture of Hampton-Gray and take a look at his rank
1668350521915.png

Shit like this pisses me off to no end. So I DM'd Murray Brewster and voila!

1668350596631.png
Lt. (RCNVR) Robert Hampton Gray, in a photo taken when he received his pilot wings in September 1941. He received the Victoria Cross posthumously for sinking a Japanese warship in 1945. (Veterans Affairs Canada)

I get shit done!!!! :)

Lt. (RCNVR) Robert Hampton Gray, in a photo taken when he received his pilot wings in September 1941. He received the Victoria Cross posthumously for sinking a Japanese warship in 1945. (Veterans Affairs Canada)

I Love You Reaction GIF by Demic

You don't get a new crest every time a new ship hits the water. The CPF's crests are, where they existed (just about all of them but St. John's), the crests of the WWII ships of the same name.

Everything gets passed on from early ship to new ship: Battle honours, crest, name plates - if still in existence - etc. etc.

When MONTREAL commissioned, we, at DONNACONA, returned all the original MONTREAL's memorabilia that had been entrusted to us to the new ship of that name and retrieved the original ship's bell from the city of Montreal for them.
HMCS Ottawa's 341 crest may be slightly different then the 229's crest as the 3rd Ottawa was named after the river not the city . I seem to recall the 229 crest has the water in a different spot or something.

Of course the crew has a tradition of rebelling against the Ottawa name (as they should) because the second Ottawa was HMCS Griffon. Against the CO's and crews wishes the ship was renamed. So all of the crests on the CPO's mess, Jr's mess, ships mugs, hats and other canteen items all have the original Ottawa griffon on them! The second Ottawa's crest is below besides the original Ottawa's crest and of course the current crest...

1668361775619.png 1668362928801.png 1668362986272.png

There was a story in the CBC about awarding the VC to Private LaRochelle.

They had this picture of Hampton-Gray and take a look at his rank
View attachment 74829

Shit like this pisses me off to no end. So I DM'd Murray Brewster and voila!

View attachment 74830

So he was awarded the VC for being a pilot, you’re saying?

HMCS Ottawa's 341 crest may be slightly different then the 229's crest as the 3rd Ottawa was named after the river not the city . I seem to recall the 229 crest has the water in a different spot or something.

Of course the crew has a tradition of rebelling against the Ottawa name (as they should) because the second Ottawa was HMCS Griffon. Against the CO's and crews wishes the ship was renamed. So all of the crests on the CPO's mess, Jr's mess, ships mugs, hats and other canteen items all have the original Ottawa griffon on them! The second Ottawa's crest is below besides the original Ottawa's crest and of course the current crest...

View attachment 74832 View attachment 74833 View attachment 74834

Not quite, but close:

Order is reverse: The H60 crest is the original OTTAWA crest, as she was the first.

The second OTTAWA was never HMCS GRIFFON, which is the Thunder Bay Naval Reserve Unit. She was HMS GRIFFIN. Her crest with the Griffon may never have been an official crest but a WWII improvisation. As for the current OTTAWA, since she is a "City" class, they could have modified her crest, but decided to stick to the "River" class OTTAWA III crest without modification nevertheless.

Ref: Badges of the Canadian Navy, J. Graeme Arbuckle, Nimbus Publishing (1987)

Not quite, but close:

Order is reverse: The H60 crest is the original OTTAWA crest, as she was the first.

The second OTTAWA was never HMCS GRIFFON, which is the Thunder Bay Naval Reserve Unit. She was HMS GRIFFIN. Her crest with the Griffon may never have been an official crest but a WWII improvisation. As for the current OTTAWA, since she is a "City" class, they could have modified her crest, but decided to stick to the "River" class OTTAWA III crest without modification nevertheless.

Ref: Badges of the Canadian Navy, J. Graeme Arbuckle, Nimbus Publishing (1987)
I knew it was spelled differently and of course just typed out the wrong way anyways... lol. As for the order yes completely agree. I just posted the images in the order I found them, just to test you of course... :rolleyes:

No, but they can (and have been) updated when a new ship gets commissioned with the same name.

Doesn't change the fact that the CPF crests are inherently non-warship like and generally pretty lame; they are more suited for auxiliaries and non-combatants. The Tribal class ones were much better, hopefully they do something similar for the CSCs.

Wouldn't that depend on wether or not they "recycle" past names (hence past crests) or use completely new ones (with crests to be newly minted)?

Wouldn't that depend on wether or not they "recycle" past names (hence past crests) or use completely new ones (with crests to be newly minted)?
Yes, and I'm hoping they go with something better than the CPFs (which likely won't get swapped over as there is an overlap of the ships in operation). There are plenty of existing names that could be used, but I'm a big fan of a 'First Nations' class where the old crests are redone (with the relevant FN band having input).

Lots of pretty amazing FN artists, think that would be a pretty concrete step towards reconciliation. The war canoes were the first real Canadian warships, so why not?

Name them after former ADM Mats! Imagine a crest with a cheezy bowtie for HMCS Williams!

Back