• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

Multi-year ice is not to trifled with , nor are Growlers. One CCG icebreaker had her hull sliced opened by a growler lodged in a ice sheet, they were able to save her because they had a bunch of construction material aboard and were able to make a concrete patch on the inside so she could limp home. Ice also took the blade off of one of the props of the USCG Polar Star during a North Pole attempt with the CCG Louie St Laurent.

Thanks @Rainbow1910 I figured that would be the timeline, as they probably want to shake out the crew this year and then do the NWP next year. Besides, B Jetty isn't finished yet (getting close though) so there is no where to put MAX if they came soon!

Icebreakers all kinda look the same out of the water. Seems the Russian's didn't fit a bow thruster on theirs, and it looks like it will sail lower in the water then ours.

Icebreakers all kinda look the same out of the water. Seems the Russian's didn't fit a bow thruster on theirs, and it looks like it will sail lower in the water then ours.
It appears to have what looks like two thrusters - or something - midship.

Docking thrusters? So when it’s crew is drunk, it makes it easier to park…
Honestly if you were drunk it would make it harder to park... if drunk just call the tugs and let them do the parking for you.

Bow thrusters (proper term for "docking thrusters") allow you to apply thrust at the extreme ends of the ship to avoid turning in place while using engine orders to get a ship alongside a pier/jetty.

I don't think those circles on the Russian vessel are thrusters, they are someting else (caterpiller drive or something lol).

Little bit of fun from Margaret Brooke. AOPS Cribs video.
AOPS Cribs Vid

I was looking at all the different designs of the doors, big eyes, etc... Interesting to see. Also gym (y)

Last edited:
This could have gone a few places, Arctic Sovereignty post for one but I thought it was better here.

Getting the nav data is one of the best ways to improve safety and enviormental protection in the arctic. Helps to avoid those potential accidents.

This could have gone a few places, Arctic Sovereignty post for one but I thought it was better here.

Getting the nav data is one of the best ways to improve safety and enviormental protection in the arctic. Helps to avoid those potential accidents.
Awkward... ''armed with just a single gun'' as they show footage of the .50 cal... Might give many the wrong idea.

Awkward... ''armed with just a single gun'' as they show footage of the .50 cal... Might give many the wrong idea.
Nah... just disinformation to keep the Ruskies guessing! :LOL:

That ship is such a bulldozer compared to the frigates. You can just feel the mass and weight of it watching the video.

To bad the reporter/interview didn't talk for 30 seconds about the different types of ice. Most people don't get that there is a distinct difference between 1m of new ice and 1m of multi-year ice.

I wonder if it’s also based on the NoCGV Svalbard, just like Harry DeWold class. (Huge Sarcasm)). There’s only so many ways to build a medium class icebreaker.

It seems to have more in common with Harry than Svalbard

Project 23550 will have a diesel-electric power plant with four 3,500-kilowatt (4,700 hp) Kolomna 28-9DG generating sets consisting of 16-cylinder 10D49 diesel engines driving alternators produced by Ruselprom. In addition, the ships will have two auxiliary diesel generating sets with Kolomna diesel engines and Ruselprom alternators. While the early concept featured ABB Azipod azimuthing propulsion units, the final design has conventional shaft lines, propellers and rudders. The 6.3-megawatt propulsion motors will be produced by Ruselprom.[1][4] The ships will have an endurance of 60 days and a range of 6,000 nautical miles (11,000 km; 6,900 mi).

Back