• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

Mind you media releases are both the primary tools and weapons of the PAO, so failing in the detail is somewhat concerning. Sort of like a rifleman that consistently misses the target.
Given what I have seen lately from PAOs on social media, house cleaning may be in order especially after 5 divs black history month post went political

PAOs advise, they do not command. They require sound information and guidance from subject matter experts in order to do their job. If messages are escaping that do not meet a commander's intent, then the immediate place to look should be the commander who authorized the release of the material, not the staff who supported him/her in drafting it.

If the PAO still calls sailors "troops" I find it difficult to believe that they can distinguish the minutiae of who enforces what policy. They are all about the big message. They don't care about the details. Big message - new ship, here are some features, government delivering new capability...

If the PAO still calls sailors "troops" I find it difficult to believe that they can distinguish the minutiae of who enforces what policy. They are all about the big message. They don't care about the details. Big message - new ship, here are some features, government delivering new capability...
So VAdm Bain was okay with sailors being called troops? 🤔

PAOs advise, they do not command. They require sound information and guidance from subject matter experts in order to do their job. If messages are escaping that do not meet a commander's intent, then the immediate place to look should be the commander who authorized the release of the material, not the staff who supported him/her in drafting it.
It's also the duty of the PAO's to learn about what they are talking about and not just live on limited briefing notes. Within their nodes, they should each become limited SME's on that subject, what's been said before, what can be said and what the immediate future looks like. Otherwise they just become useless appendages. I have worked with both types, having people that go beyond the minimum makes a huge difference for the Department, the SME's, the audience and the media.

It's also the duty of the PAO's to learn about what they are talking about and not just live on limited briefing notes. Within their nodes, they should each become limited SME's on that subject, what's been said before, what can be said and what the immediate future looks like. Otherwise they just become useless appendages. I have worked with both types, having people that go beyond the minimum makes a huge difference for the Department, the SME's, the audience and the media.
And I have worked with two types as well, the operators and folks that understand and assist the Public Affairs objectives, hence making a huge difference, and the those who covertly despise PA, or are trying to protect their unit and could give a fuck about transparency or access., although overtly supportive.

"It's also the duty of the PAO's to learn about what they are talking about and not just live on limited briefing notes."

My preference was always to have a SME speak to the media/public about the topic at hand. With several hundred occupations/trades across the CAF, and dozens on each base, I would be hard pressed to get more than a laymans knowledge of what each did. Better that I knew who should speak to a topic, as opposed to trying to speak for everybody. The only person that I officially spoke for was the Commander.

I think you are overreacting to an error from the PA's office if at that. If the video stated "support to domestic law enforcement" you wouldn't have batted an eye. This is at worst a minor blip fixed with a reupload of the video.

As for crew served weapons... when a potential "domestic threat" has a weapon as dangerous as 1000's tons of ship then it's an appropriate tool in the toolbox. A ship like any vehicle can be used as a weapon.

I understand fully concerns about domestic law enforcement from the RCN. I just don't see the issue in this case.
I agree with you.

It’s a quick line in a promo vid, that sounds good to the public. Law enforcement? Support of law enforcement? Peaks interest in recruiting??

The only folks that will really catch that like are us on this forum, and members. The general public doesn’t have a clue, nor do they really care.

I agree with you.

It’s a quick line in a promo vid, that sounds good to the public. Law enforcement? Support of law enforcement? Peaks interest in recruiting??

The only folks that will really catch that like are us on this forum, and members. The general public doesn’t have a clue, nor do they really care.
What is even the point in being precise in language anymore?

In the second picture, it looks like there is rust/grime/dirt or something visible on some of the surfaces. What is that?? (Ship is too new for it to be rust... is it oil of some kind?)

The ship is new but that steel has been sitting outside since 2018-19. It does not take long at all for surface rust to form on exposed steel in salt water conditions. Not saying it is rust just that rust happens. Surface rust is fine, ships are designed with the expectation that steel will get thinner over time from rust. It's that long term deep stuff or edges that cause problems.

Back