• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

Are they travelling with any coast guard officers to provide advice and a CCG helicopter for guidance or is it too soon in the learning curve?

Not a pilot here, but wouldn't the pilot have had some sort of instrumentation to tell him his altitude? And if flying back to the ship, was it necessary to be flying extreme low level?

(Not trying to derail the thread, just curious after reading the article)

Not a pilot here, but wouldn't the pilot have had some sort of instrumentation to tell him his altitude? And if flying back to the ship, was it necessary to be flying extreme low level?

(Not trying to derail the thread, just curious after reading the article)
There was a laser-based height system on the ice sensor, but I saw no mention of a separate radar altimeter, which could otherwise have provided an indication of descending below a pre-set altitude limit. From what I took from the investigation report (below), they were still in the third leg of the ice survey, so flying at the assigned ice assessment altitude, although I don’t know what the SOC directives require when crossing open water during an ice survey.

Aviation Investigation Report A13H002

Guess they edited out the "in support of" narrative... lol

Or perhaps the more cheeky answer should be "With a 25mm whatever domestic laws we want! Buahahahaha!" :LOL:
That is my point. We are not a law enforcement agency. We certainly do not used crew served weapons to enforce law in Canada, except in some very last resort circumstances that require both the Solicitor General and the MND to sign off. This is a poorly written script that implies the role of these ships is Constabulary (and by extension the CAF). This video should never have been posted to the internet. It is not particularly a laughing matter.

I think you are overreacting to an error from the PA's office if at that. If the video stated "support to domestic law enforcement" you wouldn't have batted an eye. This is at worst a minor blip fixed with a reupload of the video.

As for crew served weapons... when a potential "domestic threat" has a weapon as dangerous as 1000's tons of ship then it's an appropriate tool in the toolbox. A ship like any vehicle can be used as a weapon.

I understand fully concerns about domestic law enforcement from the RCN. I just don't see the issue in this case.

Mind you media releases are both the primary tools and weapons of the PAO, so failing in the detail is somewhat concerning. Sort of like a rifleman that consistently misses the target.

Back