• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

For Canadian service, just hauling Militia reaction forces along highways, over broken ground and swimming when absolutely necessary, the Bison is still more than adequate. 13 tonnes light and 15 tonnes loaded.

Just a go anywhere tin can that floats. Sounds like just the thing for domestic transport platoons.

Apparently additional metal is required for war zones now. Although the USMC are limiting themselves to LAVIII levels at 18.5 tonnes and not going up to the 25 tonnes of the LAV6.0

I wonder, if you swam it out to the AOPS would they be able to sway it onboard....(silly question to justify keeping this discussion open on the AOPS thread :D )

Weight of a Cougar was 10.7 so no, a coyote perhaps but really pushing the 10 ton crane. Even a TAPV is way to heavy. Now the BVS 10 weighs in around 5-6 tons so it could launch one of them, or better yet, carry the bvs and bridging raft to be used as landing craft. You might be able to get away with 2-3 BVS on the flight deck? (not sure of it's weight limitations)
So question for the navy lads, what are the flight deck limitations weight wise?

I wonder, if you swam it out to the AOPS would they be able to sway it onboard....(silly question to justify keeping this discussion open on the AOPS thread :D )
What condition are they simulating with the tires removed in the video?

That’s LPD 52 - USS PEARL HARBOR, but AOPS is also rated for the Chinook.
Rated meaning can land and needs to maintain power to reduce weight - or can fully shut down?

The only reason I ask is every pic I see of Hooks on ships outside a Tarawa type they are spinning their blades and it looks like the pilot is trying to keep some sort of lift going.

Some problems with that ship already (40mm main gun cancelled):

I wonder if because the gun was showcased in 2018, that the requirements for it, were not properly integrated into the design. Perhaps the ship has stability issues and this is the least worse ways to address it? the gun comes from a well known designer?
Leonardo Presents New Marlin 40 Naval Defence System at DIMDEX 2018

I wonder if because the gun was showcased in 2018, that the requirements for it, were not properly integrated into the design. Perhaps the ship has stability issues and this is the least worse ways to address it? the gun comes from a well known designer?
Leonardo Presents New Marlin 40 Naval Defence System at DIMDEX 2018
A gun like that is not going to affect the ships stability. IF you read the article it appears that the integration of the gun was the issue and delays from the guns manufacturer. They looked at the risk and decided it wasn't needed and moved on.

The article is a behind a paywall. I know on our 500 class, they had to go on a weight reduction program that include losing fire monitors and having a ships officer and naval architect go around and actually mark everywhere they could cut out steel to reduce top hamper.

The article is a behind a paywall. I know on our 500 class, they had to go on a weight reduction program that include losing fire monitors and having a ships officer and naval architect go around and actually mark everywhere they could cut out steel to reduce top hamper.
Not really the same at all.

It's been my experience is that our government builds top heavy ships, so it's a possibility I always consider.

It's been my experience is that our government builds top heavy ships, so it's a possibility I always consider.
Considering the ship we were talking about is a design produced by a shipyard in a completely different country and a different hull form than the 500 class you mentioned it wasn't a consideration.

I get that, but that issue has not been uncommon, nor is attempting to not mention the issue to avoid embarrassment. Did the Germans ever correct the list issue in their frigates?

I get that, but that issue has not been uncommon, nor is attempting to not mention the issue to avoid embarrassment. Did the Germans ever correct the list issue in their frigates?
Like I said previously, there is no indication that it was a stability issue. I base that on was stated in the article and the fact such a weapon system is negligible in weight and its position. I base that also on my experience. Of course it could also be that they dropped it because they are embarrassed because it somehow makes the entire ship unstable just like the 950 t 500 class or that it is indeed what the article mentioned.

Back