• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

Appears they are getting ready to float the future HMCS Max Bernays. According to the The Canadian Warship Group - Canadian Naval History 1600 - present, Boa Barge 37 is in position to take on the vessel to be floated out.

What I got from the couple of crew I talked to and few I overheard is that they are really excited to be part of this adventure, new ship in class, first Westward circumnavigation of North America by the RCN since 1954.

The PO2 and I discussed a few things (he been in 20 years, wish I could remember his name, about 6' and fit)

Comparison of accommodations from the CFP's to the AOP's. He raved about the quality of the accommodations, he was worried that some of the new crew will be shocked when they go over to the CFP's. I think accommodations on the CSC are going to be far more important than the planners realize as that is what will keep people going to sea.

Talked about the ice trials, I did learn that she is equipped with flume tanks to rock the vessel. He found going through ice really exciting, which I get as I remember my first time steering a ship through ice. He said they did not push the ship to the limit in the trials, which make sense, since I know they used a lot of sensors on the hull and ice to obtain data to build the "Ice profile" for the ship.

We talked about the crane and the ships cargo capability, the crane was something really new for him and it's capabilities really makes a difference, the ability to load seacans and small vehicles. As I mention he was really happy that they are no longer dependent on shoreside support to load supplies and cargo. They took a Ranger patrol from one community to another, the ship was prepared to transport all their equipment, but the Rangers had already taken care of getting it moved. I think that the Northern Communities, the Rangers, the army and the RCN are going to need sometime to figure how to integrate the capabilities of the AOP's in their plans moving forward, I think it's going to bring more flexibility and opportunities than people realize. It will take time and experiments, but I suspect that the RCN is going to be very busy in the North. I have to wonder if a lesson learned is to consider a Hiab crane on the CSC's to assist in moving supplies to and from the ship?

He mentioned the armament and I stated that it was the one area where I felt they had missed the mark, we left it at that, I didn't want to spend what little time I had going over it, because I have you guys to argue with anytime I want :giggle:

I complimented them on how good the ship looked, I could see how much painting on the sides they had been doing, the ship was looking great, particularly after crossing the Arctic. You really get a sense of how big this vessel is when dockside. The ship certainly has "presence". I got a sense that the ship was comfortable and the workspaces are good. The fact that the RCN felt that a brand new ship was up to the voyage is a credit to the design work and I suspect that Northern Operations are going to be desirable for the crews and officers. All in all I will say the ship and crew are a credit to the RCN (I am aware they doing a PR cruise and won't talk much about the negatives, but I didn't get a sense that the optimism was not forced and it was clear they are proud of their new ship)

I could not stay long as I had take my daughter to the doctors. I did ask one of the officers to request the PAO to send a poster to our Cadet Hall, hopefully that happens so I can frame it. They mentioned the Margret Brooke is planned to do the same voyage, but finish in Esquimalt. Hopefully when she comes to Vancouver I can arrange a tour for our Navy League Cadets.
There is are three cranes aboard AOPV's, the 20 Tonne can move sea canes on or off the ship
Appears they are getting ready to float the future HMCS Max Bernays. According to the The Canadian Warship Group - Canadian Naval History 1600 - present, Boa Barge 37 is in position to take on the vessel to be floated out.
Yes it has to be done soon before the weather starts to freeze and the barge won't be able to operate.

I wasn't aware that the AOPS had a third crane. Where is it located?
Two electric provisions handling cranes are located on 01 Deck, on the port and starboard sides of the ship, at Frame 19. External access to each crane is through a 2.5 metre by 1.4 metre hatch in the side shell which swings outwards and upwards to open. Each crane is a monorail-type system with a retractable boom that operates a trolley and hoist. The crane boom can be extended 2 metres outboard from the side shell when in port to hoist loads with a maximum load of 2 metric tonnes. The lifting range is 10 metres.

Two electric provisions handling cranes are located on 01 Deck, on the port and starboard sides of the ship, at Frame 19. External access to each crane is through a 2.5 metre by 1.4 metre hatch in the side shell which swings outwards and upwards to open. Each crane is a monorail-type system with a retractable boom that operates a trolley and hoist. The crane boom can be extended 2 metres outboard from the side shell when in port to hoist loads with a maximum load of 2 metric tonnes. The lifting range is 10 metres.
Thanks for the info. These things really are well appointed vessels and should be a valuable addition everywhere they deploy.

Meanwhile Russian AOP's

We come in pieces ;)

explode american GIF

Meanwhile Russian AOP's
The stats on the Russia ship look to be impressive, forgetting the fact that it completely outguns us, is it true that it can punch through thicker ice than ours? That displacement is close to 50% greater than the Harry.

The stats on the Russia ship look to be impressive, forgetting the fact that it completely outguns us, is it true that it can punch through thicker ice than ours? That displacement is close to 50% greater than the Harry.
Our ship was designed to operate in ice experienced in our territory during the period of time specified in our requirements. The Russian Arctic Patrol ship will operate in areas and in the ice encountered in their northern sea route.

Their Arctic Patrol ship is in the water but somewhat delayed due to funding issues, the second one is still being constructed.

Maybe we should suggest to the USN that they buy the two AOP's allocated to the Coast Guard and use them to patrol the Alaskan Arctic, or sell them the design?

Maybe we should suggest to the USN that they buy the two AOP's allocated to the Coast Guard and use them to patrol the Alaskan Arctic, or sell them the design?

USCG is already doing a recapitalization.

Interestingly there is a lot of joint US/Can technical data sharing etc.

Feb. 23, 2021 - Coast Guard awards task order for Polar Star service life extension contract

Jan. 13, 2021 - Coast Guard awards Polar Star service life extension contract

Dec. 18, 2020 - Coast Guard awards polar security cutter communication management system contract

Aug. 7, 2020 - Coast Guard releases request for information for polar landing craft

Sept. 12, 2019 - Coast Guard establishes PSC Project Resident Office

Aug. 8, 2019 - Polar Security Cutter Integrated Program Office recognized as DHS Program of the Year

July 25, 2019 - Coast Guard acquisition excellence on full display at DHS awards ceremony

April 23, 2019 - Acquisition update: Coast Guard and Navy Integrated Program Office awards polar security cutter detail design and construction contract

March 5, 2018 - RFP released for Coast Guard's heavy polar icebreaker

Feb. 22, 2018 - Polar icebreaker acquisition proceeds to next phase

Oct. 19, 2017 - U.S. Navy releases draft request for proposal for Coast Guard icebreaker design, construction

July 26, 2017 - Coast Guard participates in icebreaker model testing demonstration with DHS, National Research Council Of Canada (NRC)

April 4, 2017 - Acquisition update: Coast Guard releases draft polar icebreaker specifications

Feb. 22, 2017 - Acquisition update: Coast Guard awards multiple contracts for heavy polar icebreaker industry studies

Feb. 9, 2017 - Acquisition update: U.S., Canada governments partner on model and test activities to support heavy polar icebreaker acquisition efforts

Dec. 23, 2016 - Acquisition Update: Coast Guard Requests Quotes For Heavy Polar Icebreaker Industry Studies

Oct. 26, 2016 - Acquisition Update: Coast Guard Releases Request For Information For Heavy Polar Icebreaker Industry Studies

March 17, 2016 - Deep Freeze 2016: Reaching the bottom of the world

Feb. 9, 2016 - Coast Guard To Hold Polar Icebreaker Industry Day March 18

April 20, 2015 - Coast Guard Team Observes Icebreaking Technology In Finland

Nov. 20, 2014 - U.S., Canadian Coast Guards Exchange Polar Icebreaker Acquisition Knowledge

Last edited:
Actually a couple of AOP's would fill their gap, that "security Cutter" is closer to our 'Polar Class" icebreaker. we should make that pitch to them, certainly can't hurt.

Actually a couple of AOP's would fill their gap, that "security Cutter" is closer to our 'Polar Class" icebreaker. we should make that pitch to them, certainly can't hurt.
I was a little confused - as the Polar Security Cutter isn't the same program as the Heavy Polar Ice Breaker program.
The PSC is more of a larger AOPS.

Neat video of the HPIB model being tests at the NRC in St. John's NL

Back