• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arab History/Culture

Well, I see "Napalm" self-immolated.

In any case, I had hoped that this thread would remain as one for observations of Arab culture, in the hope that it might prove useful to us in the war on terror. I did not intend it to be an indictment of Arabs as terrorists, nor a discussion of Islam in general (a facinating topic in itself).

That being said, I think Che has pointed out that Islam is inextricably linked to Arab culture, and Arab culture has an influence on Islam. The fact that the Holy Qur'an is written in Arabic, and is the fundamental basis of the written Arabic language, is telling, I think.

I think it is a mistake to conclude that Islam was the catalyst that stifled Arab culture. History seems to show the contrary. In fact history seems to demonstrate that Greek philosophy and science were re-introduced into Europe through contact with Muslim states. This is what triggered the Rennaisance, and subsequently the Age of Reason.

On a tangent: translations of documents are inherently flawed. A classic example is the King James Bible. Beautiful prose in English, but a very flawed translation from the Greek (which was a partial translation from Aramaic). However, KJV serves as the foundation for many fundamentalist Christian sects. Draw your own conclusions.

I'll close with this offering: this is the 15th century of Islam. Take a look at the 15th century of Christianity, and compare. Ae you surprised? I would offer that Islam will mature more quickly than Christianity did, if only because modern communications will expedite things. We just happen to be in the middle of history.

Acorn

Che, not sure if you or anyone else here can answer this question:

But could you outline some cultural differences that might exist between different Arab regions. Lets say the difference between the people between Saudi Arabia, and Lebanon.   (If you have any idea)

I am sure there are a multitude of differences, but I guess what I am really trying to ask is if there are any fundamental differences between different Arab states.

..maybe that is too broad of a question?

It's pretty broad.
I don't think I could form a clear response.

>So does that mean that Christians, if they want to seriously understand their religion, should read the original Greek and Aramaic stuff?

If they want to seriously understand the controversial or apparently ambiguous passages: yes.

Okay, I do agree with you as well.  Hearing things in the original language is a truly eye-opening experience.

We all know of The Iliad of Brad Pitt fame  :-X and how it is one of the original war stories of civilization, but in an Epic Literature class, the professor actually presented some of the Iliad in it's original Greek dactylic hexameter, turned the story from some Epic piece of literature into the piece of cultural poetry that it is.

Pretty neat, but I digress....

I would also contend that the many positives can be used by bad individuals for negative ends.
Passion, loyalty, pride etc. All have their negative applications.
It's really a matter of who is exploiting.

I just have to say
im verey imprest and proud to see so maney smart people posting here and no s**theads

Pieman said:
Che, not sure if you or anyone else here can answer this question:

But could you outline some cultural differences that might exist between different Arab regions. Lets say the difference between the people between Saudi Arabia, and Lebanon.   (If you have any idea)

I am sure there are a multitude of differences, but I guess what I am really trying to ask is if there are any fundamental differences between different Arab states.

..maybe that is too broad of a question?

Definitely a broad question, but not unlike a question posed to describe the differences between some "Western" or English-speaking countries.  On varying scales, I'm sure you'd find different traditions, social norms, and even physical appearances in even neighbouring Arab countries much as you would find the same idiosyncrasies when comparing say Canada to the US.  In your specificexample, you compare Saudi Arabia to Lebanon.  Saudi Arabia, superficially, has a much more ingrained culture of faith than Lebanon.  Conversely, Lebanon is seen (generally) to be more "westernized" with respect to it's ideologies.  For example, women are forbidden to drive in Saudi Arabia (last I checked- maybe this has changed) while in Lebanon it's a non-issue.  Saudi Arabia is a monarchy, while Lebanon is a republic.  Lebanon has a large Christian population and representation in government, while Saudi Arabia is predominantly muslim.  Lebanon has a significant amount of arableland, while Saudi Arabia has a lot of arid spaces.  However, you will find that much of the food, traditions, and customs are very similar.

Hopefully, that's muddled the situation for you, and in doing so answered your question!

Just add some video for people to review at their liesure see link below.

Link:   http://www.memritv.org/Search.asp?ACT=S6&P3=3

I've watched a good chunk of them, but in my opinion #339 is the most important as it talks about a facet of Islam which has been completely   ignored by western media which is its underlying mission to take over the world.

In any case, there's a lot of interesting stuff in there from that, to British MP Galloway calling the British/US soldiers in Iraq "crusaders" to the poisoning of Arafat.

Enlightening to say the least....

Cheers,

Matthew.    :salute:

Back