• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

APRIL FOOLS 2009: Announcing Changes to the MilPoints System

Mike Bobbitt

Administrator
Staff member
Owner
Directing Staff
Reaction score
All,

I'd like to announce changes to the MilPoints system, based in part on discussions with some of our users here. As many already know, Army.ca's subscribing membership and advertising base has steadily declined while our costs have risen over the last year or so. This prompted the donation page, which has helped quite a bit but won't unfortunately be sufficient to sustain the site over time.

After much discussion with the Staff and some senior members, we've developed a MilPoints system that will resolve this issue. Most notably, when the new system is put in place, users will spend their MilPoints balance for posts and time spent online. When a user's MilPoints balance reaches zero, they will have to replenish their account. Any posts made after your balance reaches zero will be held in a moderation queue until your balance is topped up again, at which point they will automatically be released.

New users will start with a balance of 2,000 MilPoints so they can make their mark without an associated cost. Existing balanaces will remain in place, and anyone below the 2,000 MilPoints mark will be topped up to level the playing field. For details on how MilPoints are added or deducted, please see the updated MilPoints FAQ.

Purchases of Army.ca swag will increase your MilPoints balance at a rate of 100 MilPoints per dollar spent, or you can purchase MilPoints outright for a cost of 500 MilPoints per dollar spent. Ratings from other users will still add to or subtract from your balance, encouraging well balanced, widely accepted discussions. In time I expect to include an automated service that will keep your account topped up via a credit card or PayPal. Automatic renewals will enjoy a 15% rate cut.

What this all means is, those who use the site regularly may, from time to time, have to top up their account in order to retain access. The expectation however is that core contributors will be able to sustain their current levels of usage simply from the ratings applied by others. Trolls, spammers and those who fail to search on the other hand may have a steep financial cost associated with their misuse of the site.

I have no doubt that this will raise some questions as we move forward with the implementation over the next few days. As always, your commentary and feedback is welcome.

Cheers
Mike

Mike, can you check and see if that stupid "paypal" thing worked this time?

Sigh,

I've said it more than once and I'll say it again.  This is such a stupid idea.  All we're going to do is drive members away.

I knew I was hoarding those points for some reason .....

;D

wow - seems to be a bit of banning going around  Kyle Burrows too?

*not going to be nosy, not going to be nosy*

After these bannings, April the 1st is a date that will go down in infamy on Army.CA...

Well, I for one think it's a wonderful idea!

I mean, what's the alternative? Sell Army.ca to Stephen Staples/The Rideau Institute? Make Scott Taylor or Sunil Ram the editors?

Get on with it, Mike! Ignore the Naysayers! Do something ... even if it's wrong ... do SOMETHING.  :nod:

Make the rich pay!

Clearly this thread has taken an April Fools Day bent and shouldnt be taken seriously. :eek:

E.R. Campbell said:
Well, I for one think it's a wonderful idea!

I mean, what's the alternative? Sell Army.ca to Stephen Staples/The Rideau Institute? Make Scott Taylor or Sunil Ram the editors? ;D
Get on with it, Mike! Ignore the Naysayers! Do something ... even if it's wrong ... do SOMETHING.  :nod:

Make the rich pay!

Yes, I agree with Mr. Campbell.

I don't want to lose the site!

It's valuable to some of us who are nestled in parts of Canada that--dare I say it--sometimes neglect to think about the Canadian Forces.

When my son announced he was joining-up last year, Army.ca was referred to me by a friend and I don't know what I would have done without it.

But, thanks to Mike and you all, I now know everything about the Canadian military ;D I still have a lot to learn ... :D

As I said privately boss I don't think this is going to work in the long run, the tech glitches with paypal aside. However your house your rules so i'll go along reluctantly. Besides as discussed privately the alternatives were a lot worse.

Imagine to my surprise after posting I noticed that I now have a "Directing Staff" banner under my name. My first reaction was WTF?
Then I remembered it was April 1...is this Army.ca humour?

**Mods feel free to move this if I stuck this in the wrong spot.

Holy CRAP!!! O'Leary Banned???  Wow!!

Can I get banned too????  It seems to be evolving into a pretty exclusive group.

Back