• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

April 2012

Wilamanjaro

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm just browsing the recruiting forums once again, still as commited and excited as ever. I applied and was merit listed April 2011, there was a chance I could've gone to October 2011 BMQ but it didn't happen, so I'm just continuing my life in the meantime. I went down to the recruitment center the other week and they had mentioned that Vehicle Tech is open right now, so we'll see about that. I was also told that April 2012 is going to be the time when most people will get their calls and when most trades are open. What exactly is happening in April and what numbers are we looking at for each trade to be taking in? Is there some sort of way to see just how many positions in each trade are open?

And I suppose as an added bonus: What can I do to improve my application? I really would love to get started, as I'm sure everyone else is. It'd be awesome to get picked up for April!

01 April is the start of the new fiscal year for us...meaning money to hire again if there is any space and or demand for applicants this year. There is no way on here to view how many spots, only recruiters have access to that info.

Wilamanjaro said:
What can I do to improve my application?

Basically they want to see that you're constantly trying to improve. Some things might help:

1. Firearms Possession and Acquisition License - In one weekend you can earn a license to buy restricted (handguns) and unrestricted firearms (long guns). The course stresses safe handling of firearms which looks good entering the CF.

2. First Aid/CPR training - Pretty self explanatory why this would be appealing to recruiters of any job.

3. Volunteer work - specifically with kids/elders or any other position of leadership.

4. Extracurricular night courses/workshops relevant to the position you position wish to apply for.

Good Luck.

TBone22 said:
1. Firearms Possession and Acquisition License - In one weekend you can earn a license to buy restricted (handguns) and unrestricted firearms (long guns). The course stresses safe handling of firearms which looks good entering the CF.

That would be one long ass weekend...

TBone22 said:
1. Firearms Possession and Acquisition License 

Waste of time and money. We teach firearms our way.

2. First Aid/CPR training 

Waste of time and money. We teach FA and CPR at BMQ and theres more afterwards. One should take that because they want to be able to help, not to make an application look good.

Your #3 and #4 i would agree with.

Sports teams, events and other such things all look good on your application as well.
Anything that makes you look more team player type is beneficial.

Volunteer work shoudl be a given on ANY application.

CDN Aviator said:
Waste of time and money. We teach firearms our way.

x2, and in bmq you'll have to kick ACT and PROVE out of your head

TBone22 said:
Basically they want to see that you're constantly trying to improve. Some things might help:

2. First Aid/CPR training - Pretty self explanatory why this would be appealing to recruiters of any job.

3. Volunteer work - specifically with kids/elders or any other position of leadership.

4. Extracurricular night courses/workshops relevant to the position you position wish to apply for.

Good Luck.

Where did you get your information especially for #1 and #2?

Milnet.Ca Staff

It doesn't look to me that it came in the form of any experience in the CF.

We ask, politely, that people with no service do not offer advice to others. We do not ask politely when it happens again...
___________________________________________________________________________________________

For those eagerly counting down the days to April 1 and the new allotment of positions: it doesn't happen right at twelve midnight. If April 1 falls on a Saturday or Sunday (it's a Sunday this year), the CFRC does not open simply to process YOUR application. Calls to the CFRC on Monday, April 2 may go unanswered due to every other Tom, Dick and Harry phoning to enquire about the status of their application. It might even take a few days for the results to filter down and the calls to go out.

Advice: RELAX.

Wow, I never thought I'd get such a bad response for trying to offer some advice. A family member who is in the CF advised me to take these steps and I'm merely sharing what I've been told.

You guys are right though, having extra experience when it comes to safely handling firearms is useless. 

TBone22 said:
having extra experience when it comes to safely handling firearms is useless.

It is the wrong experience. We teach things differently and we do different things with firearms. There are much more valuable and effective ways to improve an application.

CDN Aviator said:
It is the wrong experience. We teach things differently and we do different things with firearms. There are much more valuable and effective ways to improve an application.

So do Police Forces, CBSA, etc but they see a PAL as an asset. I realize I'm speaking with people who know a lot more than I do and that I'm wrong but it still doesn't make much sense to me.

TBone22 said:
So do Police Forces, CBSA, etc but they see a PAL as an asset. I realize I'm speaking with people who know a lot more than I do and that I'm wrong but it still doesn't make much sense to me.

Having your PAL = One week of semi-studying and passing a BS test.

Working as a volunteer, playing team sports, academic upgrading......... = Team and leadership skills, commitment, management skills, etc.....

Which one do you think makes a person stand out better ?

CDN Aviator said:
Having your PAL = One week of semi-studying and passing a BS test.

Working as a volunteer, playing team sports, academic upgrading......... = Team and leadership skills, commitment, management skills, etc.....

Which one do you think makes a person stand out better ?

I'll give in on this one but only because I don't want to get banned.  :)  Good day.

I put my PAL on my application and it was not even touched on in my interview. Seemed relevant at the time I guess.

I would think that if the background check is as complete as they make it out to be, they probably already knew that.  And unless you've ever had an issue, it probably isn't too relevant because the CF is going to teach you THEIR way, which is TOTALLY different from civilian use.

TBone22 said:

Do you base this on first had knowledge? We have several police officers and CBSA personnel that frequent the site, Check out the job boards sometime, if you look at any police agency etc where is the requirement for the PAL or RPAL. THe only ones that geberally ask to have an RPAL are armed guard services such as Brinks, G4S etc.

**Mod Hat on** Unless you can provide proof beyond "a friend in the CF told me" etc you may want to read more and post less.

Milnet.Ca Staff

PAL is useless in the eyes of the military. Only get it if you plan on buying a gun or pistol for your own personal use and you enjoy shooting guns on your own time, otherwise it's a waste of money.

In April it's said new job opportunities may open correct? If so would people who apply in January be processed so that when April comes they can get offered a job, rather then applying in April and having to be processed and waiting more time... Just wondering?

April is the beginning of the new fiscal year and typically most trades get new spots opening up.  That said, it's impossible to say whether or not you will be offered a job.  Depending on what trade you pick etc etc. there may already be a merit list of guys done the recruiting process waiting for a job offer come April.

If you want to get in in April my advice to you is get your paperwork in, and make sure you're the best applicant you can be.  The best way to help yourself get a job is to make sure you're number 1 on that merit list.

Back