• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application Process Samples [2003 - 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
srvn2sv said:
There's just no standard to the way the recruitment is done.

Saying that "every application is different" might have been a better choice of words.

SeR said:
Saying that "every application is different" might have been a better choice of words.

Yes, like those that require a PLAR vs. those that don't....

Don't forget we do not all apply for the same trade, and they could ask something different fo some trades.

Whoa!!  Slow down people let's not all gang up on me.  lol  I was congratulating Tiffany who is also applying for Med Tech and pointing out how lucky she is that her application has moved along so quickly.  I'm sorry I made it too much about me.

About 7 weeks ago my RC telephoned DnD (in my presence) for my medical records from 1989.  My medical had been scheduled in April for May 8th but was deferred until that documentation could arrive.  I'm quite familiar with the hurry up and wait process but honestly, I could have walked to Ottawa and back in this time frame and got them myself.

Loachman, you're quite correct I have no experience in recruiting, but would greatly appreciate your professional experience and recommendation.  From your expedience in recruiting what is the average timeline for the return of these documents from DnD? 

And folks, there should be a standard.  There's a standard for everything else, why not this? 

Again, BIG congrats to TiffanyOx for completing an application in what seems to be record time as opposed to most other who have posted "Application Samples" on this thread.

srvn2sv

srvn2sv said:
Whoa!!  Slow down people let's not all gang up on me.  lol  I was congratulating Tiffany who is also applying for Med Tech and pointing out how lucky she is that her application has moved along so quickly.  I'm sorry I made it too much about me.

About 7 weeks ago my RC telephoned DnD (in my presence) for my medical records from 1989.  My medical had been scheduled in April for May 8th but was deferred until that documentation could arrive.  I'm quite familiar with the hurry up and wait process but honestly, I could have walked to Ottawa and back in this time frame and got them myself.

Loachman, you're quite correct I have no experience in recruiting, but would greatly appreciate your professional experience and recommendation.  From your expedience in recruiting what is the average timeline for the return of these documents from DnD? 

And folks, there should be a standard.  There's a standard for everything else, why not this? 

Again, BIG congrats to TiffanyOx for completing an application in what seems to be record time as opposed to most other who have posted "Application Samples" on this thread.

srvn2sv

after my medical it took 3 weeks for my forms to be sent back to my local recruiting office. I called the office for an update and he said they were in the mail headed back so he booked my interview. I had no medical problems or medication to report to them so my medical was very easy for them to approve I suppose

srvn2sv said:

srvn2sv

I'm a nurse, and also an Advanced Medical First Responder through St. John Ambulance who is soon going to be a First Aid instructor.

Depends on your qualifications.

*****UPDATE*****

Recruiting centre: ONLINE/Oshawa
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade choice 1: Military Police
Trade choice 2: Artillery Soldier
Applied: January 2012
File sent to CFRC: February 2012
First contact: April 20, 2013
CFAT: May 21, 2013
Medical: June 11, 2013
Interview: June 25, 2013
Merit listed: waiting..
Position offered: waiting..
swearing in: waiting..
BMQ: waiting..

Got the call for my interview! cant wait!

admky said:
*****UPDATE*****

Recruiting centre: ONLINE/Oshawa
Trade choice 1: Military Police
Trade choice 2: Artillery Soldier
Applied: January 2012
File sent to CFRC: February 2012
First contact: April 20, 2013
CFAT: May 21, 2013
Medical: June 11, 2013
Interview: June 25, 2013
Merit listed: waiting..
Position offered: waiting..
swearing in: waiting..
BMQ: waiting..

Got the call for my interview! cant wait!

Grats!!

srvn2sv said:

You might want to explain your definition of "standard." I'm no recruiter, but I'm more than certain that there are standards throughout the application process that they must follow.

Great thread. Thanks for posting, everyone. Really helps me gauge the process time. Here's mine thus far:

Recruiting Centre: Online/Toronto
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade choice 1: Public Affairs Officer
Trade choice 2: Training Development Officer
Applied: Online, January 14, 2013
File sent to CFRC: January 2013
First contact: February 28, 2013
Contact for secondary paperwork: March 7, 2013
CFAT: May 2, 2013
Reliability Screening/Interview: May 21, 2013
References contacted: May-June 2013
Background check: May-present (Extra background check needed because I lived in the UK.)
Medical: TBD
Interview: TBD
Merit listed: TBD
Position offered: TBD
Swearing in: TBD
Basic Training: TBD

Next step for me as of the end of my RS/Interview is to wait for a call if more information is needed and/or to schedule the Medical and Interview.

Several things to note here as well. As I lived in another country for more than 6 months, there's an extra background check that has to be done. On paper, it says that it can take from 10-18 months, but my counsellors have informed me it shouldn't take that long, especially if the country is willing to provide that information. The CFRC in Toronto, particularly the counsellors I've been working with, have been doing their very best in putting my app through and, since it's England specifically, I don't think it should take that long. Nevertheless, I'll keep my eye out on the timeline for the background check with the extra step and update the post just in case anyone else has to have a further BG check. (What might also help is to provide your own criminal background check from the foreign country and submit it to the RC when appropriate.)

Another thing to keep in mind, as my counsellors have told me, is that the two positions that I applied for a) rarely open up - one or two just get hired here and there and b) only have one or two intakes per year. (If I miss the PAO deadline for June, the TDO opening is in November, which isn't too bad since I still have a lot more steps to go through anyway. For the case of TDO, I've been informed that Basic will most likely start after December, around the spring of 2014.) So I guess if your application is taking a while, the factor might not be related to your credentials or experience, but related to when the hiring time is for your trade(s).

From some of the other applicants I spoke to, the timeline for their application pretty much matched mine. Not sure of the intake dates, frequencies, and quantities of their chosen trades, but it's good to know that my app's process is similar to others'. Keeping my fingers crossed I'm still found suitable to serve and prepping hard in the meantime!

Recruiting Centre: Calgary, Alberta
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Trade Choice 2: Artillery
Trade Choice 3:
Online Application Date: April 20, 2013
Date Application sent to CFRC: May 29, 2013
CFAT: July 4th, 2013
Interview: July 4th, 2013
Medical: July 10th, 2013
Merit Listed:
Position offered:
Swearing in:
Basic Training Begins:

It seems to be moving a long quite nicely. I'm not sure how the other CFRC's are but the people at CFRC Calgary have been pretty accommodating.

Recruiting Centre: Hamilton, Ontario
Regular/Reserve: Reserve
Trade Choice 1: Infantry
Trade Choice 2:
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: October 29, 2012
CFAT: December 4th, 2012
Interview: December 16, 2012
Medical: December 16th, 2012
PT Test: December 16th, 2012
File Closed, Reopened: Feb 1st, 2013
Background/References Complete: May 1, 2013
Position offered: ---
Swearing in: ---
Basic Training Begins: ---

It seems my process, especially the background check, has taken longer than average. I have not lived out of country, and I do not have any relatives out of country, but I have been to the Middle East. Could this have been the issue? Also, is it possible that I could start BMQ this Fall, or is it too late already?

estoguy said:
Recruiting Center: Online/Barrie
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer- DEO
Trade Choice 1: Pilot
Trade Choice 2: ACSO
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: July 2011 (Originally)
CFAT: End of July 2011
Reapplication date: Jan 2012 (Online), Third time: April 29, 2013
Interview booked: Second application: April 30 2012 (passed for Pilot and Armour Officer), Third Application: June 6, 2013 (passed for Pilot)
Medical booked: Second Application: May 9 2012, Third Application: July 3, 2013
Position Offered:
Merit Listed:
Basic Training Begins:

Third and likely final kick at the can.  Got my sleep study months earlier thanks to a cancellation. Awaiting official results, but the nurse sounded positive the morning after.  I think the tonsillectomy and losing weight paid off.  Just waiting for my stuff to be sent back down to the Barrie RC.  Was told there might be some combat arms DEO positions open. Will see when I'm back at the RC. Once again, its time to hurry up and wait!  :nod:

Passed interview for pilot again on June 6, and have medical booked for July 3.  Had a good meeting with my sleep study doctor, and my apnea has much improved - to the point of of not needing actual treatment.  However, its still mild, and not sure how they'll look at it.  On the up side, the doctor said that more improvement in my physical condition will only help.  Medical does look at things case by case, so I'm hoping they'll rule in my favor.  Cross fingers for me! :)

Why is everyone re-applying year after year? I thought once you are on the merit list, it's only a matter of time before you get an offer.

Is it true that if you are not offered a job during the fiscal/calendar year, you are off the merit list and you have to re-apply again the following year.

Zhang said:
Why is everyone re-applying year after year? I thought once you are on the merit list, it's only a matter of time before you get an offer.

Is it true that if you are not offered a job during the fiscal/calendar year, you are off the merit list and you have to re-apply again the following year.

In many cases an applicant needs to reapply because their file closed before they became competitive enough to secure a job offer.  Unfortunately, just because an applicant is merit-listed does not guarantee them employment. If you are unsure as to the specifics regarding becoming merit-listed and how the list works, there are several threads among the Recruiting forums to help you.

BeyondTheNow said:
In many cases an applicant needs to reapply because their file closed before they became competitive enough to secure a job offer.  Unfortunately, just because an applicant is merit-listed does not guarantee them employment. If you are unsure as to the specifics regarding becoming merit-listed and how the list works, there are several threads among the Recruiting forums to help you.

I was told that my application is competitive in the interview, but it's been over a month since I got merit listed. I know there are guys/girls out there who have waited a lot longer than I have. But I'm beginning to wonder what if I don't get an offer this year, should I apply again next year with upgraded resume? Would they actually remove me from the merit list/close my file?

theforcewithin said:
Great thread. Thanks for posting, everyone. Really helps me gauge the process time. Here's mine thus far:

Recruiting Centre: Online/Toronto
Officer/NCM: Officer
Trade choice 1: Public Affairs Officer
Trade choice 2: Training Development Officer
Applied: Online, January 14, 2013
File sent to CFRC: January 2013
First contact: February 28, 2013
Contact for secondary paperwork: March 7, 2013
CFAT: May 2, 2013
Reliability Screening/Interview: May 21, 2013
References contacted: May-June 2013
Background check: May-present (Extra background check needed because I lived in the UK.)
Medical: TBD
Interview: TBD
Merit listed: TBD
Position offered: TBD
Swearing in: TBD
Basic Training: TBD

Next step for me as of the end of my RS/Interview is to wait for a call if more information is needed and/or to schedule the Medical and Interview.

Several things to note here as well. As I lived in another country for more than 6 months, there's an extra background check that has to be done. On paper, it says that it can take from 10-18 months, but my counsellors have informed me it shouldn't take that long, especially if the country is willing to provide that information. The CFRC in Toronto, particularly the counsellors I've been working with, have been doing their very best in putting my app through and, since it's England specifically, I don't think it should take that long. Nevertheless, I'll keep my eye out on the timeline for the background check with the extra step and update the post just in case anyone else has to have a further BG check. (What might also help is to provide your own criminal background check from the foreign country and submit it to the RC when appropriate.)

Another thing to keep in mind, as my counsellors have told me, is that the two positions that I applied for a) rarely open up - one or two just get hired here and there and b) only have one or two intakes per year. (If I miss the PAO deadline for June, the TDO opening is in November, which isn't too bad since I still have a lot more steps to go through anyway. For the case of TDO, I've been informed that Basic will most likely start after December, around the spring of 2014.) So I guess if your application is taking a while, the factor might not be related to your credentials or experience, but related to when the hiring time is for your trade(s).

From some of the other applicants I spoke to, the timeline for their application pretty much matched mine. Not sure of the intake dates, frequencies, and quantities of their chosen trades, but it's good to know that my app's process is similar to others'. Keeping my fingers crossed I'm still found suitable to serve and prepping hard in the meantime!

Good luck with those trades... they are tough to get into from what I've heard as well. I'd thought about TDO, but was advised its easier to get into once into the Forces - its difficult to get in "off the street".  Most people get in via transfer from what I've been told.

Zhang said:
I was told that my application is competitive in the interview, but it's been over a month since I got merit listed. I know there are guys/girls out there who have waited a lot longer than I have. But I'm beginning to wonder what if I don't get an offer this year, should I apply again next year with upgraded resume? Would they actually remove me from the merit list/close my file?

My process so far: I have been going through the application process for approx. 21mths now. I have been merit-listed since Oct. 2012. I am currently awaiting acceptance to what is called a MPAC (specific to the trade I've applied to--the final stage of the hiring process for my trade). Certain trades are more difficult to get into than others; therefore, more competitive due to the volume of applicants vs positions available, among other reasons. Based on what I've come to learn on this site and by speaking with various members (recruiting and otherwise), some applicants get through the process very quickly, but right now the majority do not.

Ideally, you should receive notification if your file is about to close and you haven't received a job offer.  However, sometimes this has not been the case. IMO, it's best to stay in regular contact with your file manager/MCC. I usually keep in basic contact with mine every 4-6 weeks. (In the beginning it was more often, because I had more questions. Sometimes I'm also in contact more frequently if I'd like to confirm information floating around the rumour mill regarding my trade.)

You won't need to re-apply unless your file officially closes (and in some cases reopening the file can be very straight-forward), but in terms of updating your credentials, speak to your file manager/MCC about the updates. He/she will inform you what steps need to be taken next.  I can't tell you if and/or when you will or won't receive an offer. But if your file closes, yes, I believe you are removed from the merit list and must interview again. (You will not need to re-write the CFAT.)

Thanks for replying, BeyondTheNow. I truly hope that you get your offer soon. And that was really good advice, I'm going to call my file manager next week.

Zhang said:
Thanks for replying, BeyondTheNow. I truly hope that you get your offer soon. And that was really good advice, I'm going to call my file manager next week.

Best of luck to you as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back