• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application - How long does it take? (Merged)

mariomike said:
You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

P.S. I assume you are applying for the Regular Force.

If you are applying for Reserve, we have some very good discussions specific to that process as well.

Yes! I am applying to the regular force!

EastonPacman said:
Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but i have an inquiry about the steps before they make an offer for you to join the forces. I applied at the beginning of June and wrote my CFAT on June 24. I passed for all 3 trades i chose, and i settled on MHR as my first choice. I then got a call maybe a week after of them booking me in for my medical/interview. When i spoke to the gentleman that gave me the news about my CFAT after i wrote it, he said that it would generally take between 3-6 months for the entire process of applying to be complete. So i guess i am finding it a little odd that within a 4 week span, i am getting my CFAT, medical and interview done. I was also told by one of my references that they had contacted him about information on me about 2 weeks after my CFAT.

My question(s) i guess is/are:
Is it normal for this process to move this quick? I was told by the gentleman that did my CFAT that MHR is in high demand right now.
If they are checking my references this early, does that mean they are interested in me as a candidate to join?
Is the medical and interview the final steps before they decide if they are going to offer me a position?

Once again, sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this!
Thank you for your help :)

1) In my experience, the length of time for the process can vary. For example, I've been in the process since 2013 and encountered issues such as selected occupation not open for hiring, file closures, file transfers, etc. It's difficult to predict. The most recent time I applied however, I felt the process moved rather quickly as well.
2) Based on the information I received from a recruiter, the background check is done in 'parts' throughout the application process, and is completed prior to being placed on the competition list.
3) After the medical and interview, you are placed on the competition list (or merit list). Your place on the competition list is determined by your total score comprised of CFAT + TSD (weighted 70%) and interview (weighted 30%). Your place on the competition list can vary and change depending on the total score of other candidates. If you're on the very top of the list, depending on how many positions are available, you may get the job offer more quickly. However if you're at the bottom of the list, you may end up waiting for a longer period of time and may or may not receive the job offer.

I hope that helps!

OblivionKnight said:
1) In my experience, the length of time for the process can vary. For example, I've been in the process since 2013 and encountered issues such as selected occupation not open for hiring, file closures, file transfers, etc. It's difficult to predict. The most recent time I applied however, I felt the process moved rather quickly as well.
2) Based on the information I received from a recruiter, the background check is done in 'parts' throughout the application process, and is completed prior to being placed on the competition list.
3) After the medical and interview, you are placed on the competition list (or merit list). Your place on the competition list is determined by your total score comprised of CFAT + TSD (weighted 70%) and interview (weighted 30%). Your place on the competition list can vary and change depending on the total score of other candidates. If you're on the very top of the list, depending on how many positions are available, you may get the job offer more quickly. However if you're at the bottom of the list, you may end up waiting for a longer period of time and may or may not receive the job offer.

I hope that helps!

Is there a chance that they would be done my reference and background checks and are just waiting on me to complete my medical and interview to offer me something? Is the interview and medical the last steps in this application process?
I'm just finding it a little odd that they have booked my medical and interview so soon after my CFAT, and that they have already conducted my reference checks. Just from past job applications i guess.
With the scoring on the interview, i am assuming they are marking you on answers and professionalism that you convey during the interview?

Sorry if these are a lot of repetitive questions, thanks for taking the time to answer!

EastonPacman said:
Is there a chance that they would be done my reference and background checks and are just waiting on me to complete my medical and interview to offer me something? Is the interview and medical the last steps in this application process?
I'm just finding it a little odd that they have booked my medical and interview so soon after my CFAT, and that they have already conducted my reference checks. Just from past job applications i guess.
With the scoring on the interview, i am assuming they are marking you on answers and professionalism that you convey during the interview?

Sorry if these are a lot of repetitive questions, thanks for taking the time to answer!

I'm not sure if they would be done your background check in its entirety so quickly (including references, employment verification, credit check) - you'd have to ask your recruiting centre.
My process was as follows: CFAT + TSD --> Background check initiated (some references were called) / PLAR initiated --> Medical --> Interview. I'm not sure if my background check or PLAR has been completed yet. I'm also not sure if I have been placed on the competition list. Generally speaking, the interview is the 'last step' prior to being placed on the competition list, so long as the background check and PLAR (if applicable) has been completed.
As for the interview itself, the duration was approximately 2 hours in length and included a short break in between. It was mostly comprised of signing forms, and providing 'yes/no' answers; essentially, the interview to me seemed like more of a formality to ensure that all the documentation was in order, offered the opportunity to ask questions, and for the MCC to determine whether he/she would recommend the applicant for the position.

OblivionKnight said:
I'm not sure if they would be done your background check in its entirety so quickly (including references, employment verification, credit check) - you'd have to ask your recruiting centre.
My process was as follows: CFAT + TSD --> Background check initiated (some references were called) / PLAR initiated --> Medical --> Interview. I'm not sure if my background check or PLAR has been completed yet. I'm also not sure if I have been placed on the competition list. Generally speaking, the interview is the 'last step' prior to being placed on the competition list, so long as the background check and PLAR (if applicable) has been completed.
As for the interview itself, the duration was approximately 2 hours in length and included a short break in between. It was mostly comprised of signing forms, and providing 'yes/no' answers; essentially, the interview to me seemed like more of a formality to ensure that all the documentation was in order, offered the opportunity to ask questions, and for the MCC to determine whether he/she would recommend you for the position.

A 2 hour interview? Oh wow! That's intense!

Would there be a chance i would make it to BMQ by the middle of September? or is that wishful thinking? My buddy who applied said that he received an offer 2 weeks after his medical and interview, would this be considered normal or an out of the ordinary thing?

EastonPacman said:
A 2 hour interview? Oh wow! That's intense!

Would there be a chance i would make it to BMQ by the middle of September? or is that wishful thinking? My buddy who applied said that he received an offer 2 weeks after his medical and interview, would this be considered normal or an out of the ordinary thing?

It wasn't too bad to be honest. To answer your question, I have no idea. It all depends on how quickly your file is processed and completed, the number of positions available for that occupation, your position on the merit list, selection dates, and intake dates for BMQ. I applied for DEO nursing officer so there's very few positions left for this year, and selections don't happen too frequently (every few months I've been told). So I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket. There's far too many variables to effectively predict whether one would receive a job offer within a particular time-frame. I would suggest completing the process, but not putting your life on hold.

OblivionKnight said:
It wasn't too bad to be honest. To answer your question, I have no idea. It all depends on how quickly your file is processed and completed, the number of positions available for that occupation, your position on the merit list, selection dates, and intake dates for BMQ. I applied for DEO nursing officer so there's very few positions left for this year, and selections don't happen too frequently (every few months I've been told). So I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket. There's far too many variables to effectively predict whether one would receive a job offer within a particular time-frame. I would suggest completing the process, but not putting your life on hold.

That's assuring to hear! Thank you for the information! I appreciate it.

EastonPacman said:
Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but i have an inquiry about the steps before they make an offer for you to join the forces. I applied at the beginning of June and wrote my CFAT on June 24. I passed for all 3 trades i chose, and i settled on MHR as my first choice. I then got a call maybe a week after of them booking me in for my medical/interview. When i spoke to the gentleman that gave me the news about my CFAT after i wrote it, he said that it would generally take between 3-6 months for the entire process of applying to be complete. So i guess i am finding it a little odd that within a 4 week span, i am getting my CFAT, medical and interview done. I was also told by one of my references that they had contacted him about information on me about 2 weeks after my CFAT.

My question(s) i guess is/are:
Is it normal for this process to move this quick? I was told by the gentleman that did my CFAT that MHR is in high demand right now.
If they are checking my references this early, does that mean they are interested in me as a candidate to join?
Is the medical and interview the final steps before they decide if they are going to offer me a position?

Once again, sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this!
Thank you for your help :)

So far I found processing time depends on which CFRC you applied, and the "prioirty" of your trade.
Some CFRC do mutli-tasking, they process background, interview, medical at same time, can be very fast 3-9 months to BM(O)Q.
Some CFRC only liner-tasking, you must complete background to get in queue of interview, then medical. Also background check will redo every year. 1-3 years is common for the same trade. However, if your trade is priority, it can be 9-15 months.
Bascially if you apply in CFRC with plenty stuff, comparatively less applicant, you get faster.(at least you don't need to wait in a big pile of files for half year or so)
In your case, probably more lucky.

lid said:
So far I found processing time depends on which CFRC you applied, and the "prioirty" of your trade.
Some CFRC do mutli-tasking, they process background, interview, medical at same time, can be very fast 3-9 months to BM(O)Q.
Some CFRC only liner-tasking, you must complete background to get in queue of interview, then medical. Also background check will redo every year. 1-3 years is common for the same trade. However, if your trade is priority, it can be 9-15 months.
Bascially if you apply in CFRC with plenty stuff, comparatively less applicant, you get faster.(at least you don't need to wait in a big pile of files for half year or so)
In your case, probably more lucky.

I was told the trade that i am applying for is in very high demand right now, that's what my buddy and the recruiting gentleman told me. I'm hoping they are both right and i will be in BMQ by September.

EastonPacman said:
I was told the trade that i am applying for is in very high demand right now, that's what my buddy and the recruiting gentleman told me. I'm hoping they are both right and i will be in BMQ by September.
Based on where you have stated you are in the process and with it being end July it is highly unlikely that you would goto BMQ in September
BMQ Dates: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/benefits-military/education-training/basic-training/recruit-school.html
Serials 108 & 109 are being loaded with people currently getting offers.

Hi everyone , I got an hour phone call discussion with my application on oct 27th,2019  due to I am immigrant , and I haven’t lived in Canada for 10 years( I have been here five years). I have done the apt test. Does anyone have idea about what’s next step ? Thank you very much. ( Vancouver area)

About a month ago i completed my medical exam and interview. The recruiters stated that they would have to do background checks and whatever else.

Im wondering what the next steps for ME are. Like do I have to fill out a form for the screening? Do I email them back? Do i just wait until they email me and if so, on average how long would i have to wait for that email? Would they tell me if im in or not? My enrollment date?

How long does this step usually take on average in the first place?

Im signing up as an armoured soldier in the reserves. Thanks for any answers!

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

You should have already filled out a form authorizing reliability screening. It would have asked for references, dates of travel and previous addresses. You also would have been asked for I.D. proving citizenship or place of birth.

As far as a time frame, it varies. Your recruiter will be the only one with any information.

Until then, peruse this thread of examples.

https://army.ca/forums/threads/131145.0.html

About a month ago i completed my medical exam and interview. The recruiters stated that they would have to do background checks and whatever else.

Im wondering what the next steps for ME are. Like do I have to fill out a form for the screening? Do I email them back? Do i just wait until they email me and if so, on average how long would i have to wait for that email? Would they tell me if im in or not? My enrollment date?

Aero_Solas said:

My MCC explained the next steps to me during my interview. I would recommend giving them a call just to followup.
In my case I was given a timeline. Best bet, reach out to them.

marekbjj said:
My MCC explained the next steps to me during my interview. I would recommend giving them a call just to followup.
In my case I was given a timeline. Best bet, reach out to them.
I was just told to wait lol they never said what to expect or when. But ill write a follow up email for them and ask.

My husbands application went from "medical and interview complete" to "selected" and we are just curious as to when he might get an offer of employment.

Lynnkath84 said:
My husbands application went from "medical and interview complete" to "selected" and we are just curious as to when he might get an offer of employment.

It could be in the next few weeks/months or it could be in 2 years; there's no estimate/average timeframe.

Back