• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

This! Absolutely this! I can tell you from real world experience that there are never enough tankers kicking around when you need them, and warships need to top of with fuel far more often than non-navy folk realize.

Add on to that the fact that a lot of US tankers are getting old. The USN always has a tanker of the east coast, and they are more and more often asking Canada if we can cover for them because their tanker is down for maintenance, or tasked out somewhere else.

If there is one thing Canada could buy that would be used right away, used CONSTANTLY, and highly appreciated by our allies (especially the Americans), it's tankers.
I've always thought that these kind of capabilities would be an easy sell but high value investment for the CAF. More JSS, MRTTs, P-8s, etc. would check the domestic political box of defence spending that isn't on things that "hurt people" (God forbid that our military be armed!) while at the same time very being highly valued by our allies.

This! Absolutely this! I can tell you from real world experience that there are never enough tankers kicking around when you need them, and warships need to top of with fuel far more often than non-navy folk realize.

Add on to that the fact that a lot of US tankers are getting old. The USN always has a tanker of the east coast, and they are more and more often asking Canada if we can cover for them because their tanker is down for maintenance, or tasked out somewhere else.

If there is one thing Canada could buy that would be used right away, used CONSTANTLY, and highly appreciated by our allies (especially the Americans), it's tankers.
seems like another reason to get working on a third JSS the HMCS Provider. If NATO is low on tankers why are we low ourselves?

Or the warehousing, offices, fridges and galleys.
Or toilets! I haven't had as many cat 1s or near cat 1 OPDEFs for any other system as I have for the black water collection/treatment.

In fairness my last CO really did, so we got his support to get extra resources etc to get unsexy repairs done (but also meant more focus at sea on unsexy minor things) and at the end of the deployement we had managed to fix a lot of the little annoying things, and get a huge amount of reparis to things like worn lagging (which was always dripping condensation), black water piping and other things like that.

But at the institution level, we deliberately dropped off the mechanical portion of a mid life refit to get new combat systems, which is compounding with the first 15 years of doing very little other than paint and some basic repairs of broken things. We have a 30 year backlog of condition based 3rd line maintenance that is now become a panic as the condition is terrible.

If we really wanted brownie points with the US, get Davies to work on the sister ship of the Astreix and using mostly civilian crew have them spend 75% of their time supporting the USN, while the JSS hulls support the RCN.

The U.S. Navy Faces A Stark Choice—Buy More Oilers Or Risk Running Out Of Gas
Too bad that the first year of the Trudeau government poisoned any thought of getting Asterix or any other similar ship. The bloody stupidity of the case against Norman is still mind boggling.

Or toilets! I haven't had as many cat 1s or near cat 1 OPDEFs for any other system as I have for the black water collection/treatment.

In fairness my last CO really did, so we got his support to get extra resources etc to get unsexy repairs done (but also meant more focus at sea on unsexy minor things) and at the end of the deployement we had managed to fix a lot of the little annoying things, and get a huge amount of reparis to things like worn lagging (which was always dripping condensation), black water piping and other things like that.

But at the institution level, we deliberately dropped off the mechanical portion of a mid life refit to get new combat systems, which is compounding with the first 15 years of doing very little other than paint and some basic repairs of broken things. We have a 30 year backlog of condition based 3rd line maintenance that is now become a panic as the condition is terrible.
I was reading the agenda of the next Admirals Board. The condition of the frigates are number 1.

I was reading the agenda of the next Admirals Board. The condition of the frigates are number 1.
I hope so, they are beating the hell out of them and we don't have enough sailors for the opsched.

Maybe wifi and QoL will stop taking top priority for jobs but I doubt it, as they don't even want to hear why you can't firefight with a beard..

Where do you see the agenda for the Admiral's Board? NSHQ dwan page?

Where do you see the agenda for the Admiral's Board? NSHQ dwan page?
Its on CRCN sharepoint Directory Page.

So you'll have to be granted access to the sharepoint and have RDIMS to download the document.

Its on CRCN sharepoint Directory Page.

So you'll have to be granted access to the sharepoint and have RDIMS to download the document.
One thing that blew me away was that after 16 years in the Navy, despite having working as an AdminO, at a training institution, and a senior staff officer, I've never had access to RDIMS. Hell, I've never even seen RDIMS. It was especially frustrating when we would ask for a copy of a letter (that was addressed to us), and instead receive an email saying it was on RDIMS and to go get it there, and then have to tell the sending unit that ships don't have access to RDIMS... why didn't you just attach a copy to your reply?

One thing that blew me away was that after 16 years in the Navy, despite having working as an AdminO, at a training institution, and a senior staff officer, I've never had access to RDIMS. Hell, I've never even seen RDIMS. It was especially frustrating when we would ask for a copy of a letter (that was addressed to us), and instead receive an email saying it was on RDIMS and to go get it there, and then have to tell the sending unit that ships don't have access to RDIMS... why didn't you just attach a copy to your reply?
DM in your inbox

Properly implemented records management systems ensure everyone has the same info, particularly important for things that may change over time.

Yes, that is frustrating for sure.
The lack of information flow from the Executive Suite to the formations and NRDs is an issue.

If we really wanted brownie points with the US, get Davies to work on the sister ship of the Astreix and using mostly civilian crew have them spend 75% of their time supporting the USN, while the JSS hulls support the RCN.

The U.S. Navy Faces A Stark Choice—Buy More Oilers Or Risk Running Out Of Gas
The government only wants two military AORs. If there is so much demand, David should build it and sell their services to international partners without federal funding.

Seriously?

The government only wants two military AORs. If there is so much demand, David should build it and sell their services to international partners without federal funding.

Seriously?

Or, we could be good allies and partners and get the second Asterix, with the X 2 JSS, and help out.

Why do you hate Davie and Asterix so much ?

Last edited:
Not to derail anything but I feel your pain @Lumber, but for different reasons, having had to use RDIMS on and off over a decade.

Not only is the access a challenge, but there are multiple libraries, and you typically don't have access to the ones you need. For example, CRCN, MEPM and the PMOs all have their own libraries, so not uncommon to have the original of a file on one RDIMS library, and multiple copies on other libraries (under their own unique numbers).

The file plan very broadly follows the military file plan from memos, but things get logged wherever it makes sense to the user, and they can set unique access restrictions for each file.

It also has an interceptor so every time you go to open/save a file in the office suite and some other program it jumps to RDIMS, and that frequently freezes and glitches because it's windows 98 program with a lot of kludges.

I dislike it slightly more than DRMIS to give you an idea; it definitely logs documents, but I would say 'management' is a stretch. It's really easy to lose something in the digital ether there and then never find it again. If someone ever says to you in a turnover 'its all in RDIMS', laugh then make them send you all the links and make sure you have the permissions to files you need to read/edit.

I utterly despised RDMIN's. We kept all our file specific documents in our database under the associated file number. But the database had a field select search function, allowing you customize your searches.

Back