• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

HI Everyone,

Below is a local newspaper talking about the JSS with mentions of JSS2 and OSFV.

Question here:

Will these JSS be as capable as the old Provider etc? Forgive me but I am a crayon eating landlubber.

Question here:

Will these JSS be as capable as the old Provider etc? Forgive me but I am a crayon eating landlubber.
From the ADM Mat Website

If you are on the DWAN

The Royal Canadian Navy needs support ships. The Joint Support Ship (JSS) project will deliver two new ships, as outlined in Strong, Secured, Engaged, Canada’s defence policy. These Joint Support Ships are being built for the RCN under the National Shipbuilding Strategy and will replace the auxiliary oiler replenishment (AOR) vessels that reached the end of their operational lives.

The future Joint Support Ship will provide:

• Underway Support to Naval Task Groups: Underway support is best described as the re-supply of fuel, food, ammunition, spare parts and other supplies between ships at sea. This includes the operation and maintenance of helicopters, as well as task group medical and dental facilities;
  • Limited Sealift: JSS will be capable of transporting and delivering cargo both in support of task group operations and in support to operations ashore; and
  • Limited Support to Operations Ashore: To meet a range of possibilities in an uncertain future security environment, the JSS will leverage its onboard facilities to support operations ashore, including anything from combat to humanitarian and disaster relief.
  • Self-defence functions and the ability to respond to Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) threats to allow for operations in high threat environments.

I don't believe construction has started on the second JSS. Glad to be proven wrong however!
it says

"Steel for the second joint support ship was cut in May of this year – the large grey panels are visible in a number of the shipyard’s steel-cutting and early welding shops."

they should build a third AOR Provider and transfer the other Polar Icebreaker to Davie assuming Davie can get past what ever hurdles it has

Long lead items would have to have been ordered a few years ago to permit a third of class to be built without interruption.

Long lead items would have to have been ordered a few years ago to permit a third of class to be built without interruption.
Seaspan looks to be heading toward an interruption regardless as I haven't heard of anything with respect to the Polar icebreaker or the MPV. Irving at least has a clearer view of their next few years as they transition to the CSC

Seaspan looks to be heading toward an interruption regardless as I haven't heard of anything with respect to the Polar icebreaker or the MPV. Irving at least has a clearer view of their next few years as they transition to the CSC
One thing that caught my eyes is the delivery of the first MPV being 2029, so there build would dovetail with JSS2 and Polar icebreaker. One thing i don’t know is how fast a moderately efficient yard can build a 25,000 diesel electric ship.

One thing I’ve noticed about the Polar class build is that the design is being done by Seaspan exclusively. I’m still trying to find reliable design images.

One thing that caught my eyes is the delivery of the first MPV being 2029, so there build would dovetail with JSS2 and Polar icebreaker. One thing i don’t know is how fast a moderately efficient yard can build a 25,000 diesel electric ship.

One thing I’ve noticed about the Polar class build is that the design is being done by Seaspan exclusively. I’m still trying to find reliable design images.

The last URL should have been:

That 2029 date for first CCG MPV is fairy land if the polar breaker is built first. There's also the OOSV to come from Seaspan.

Mark
Ottawa

That first photo has the Project Manager, Blaine Duffley (foreground with the long sleeves). The guy in the back is one of the Project Directing staff who represents the RCN at the project (I won't name him, he's a private guy).

I'll get my first (and likely final) visit to the shipyard on the 22nd. I'll take lots of pics for you folks and share what they let me.

I’m glad we are still worshipping Davie. We didn’t buy either because they didn’t meet our specifications. It could gas up ships, but that’s it. No carrying anything invlding ammunition, vehicles etc etc. No CBRN. No warship things like fire suppression, 2 drivelines. No battleship and commodore function as the JSS will be the command center of a Canadian battlegroup. And the ability to sail in a Baltic Sea.

Davie wanted Federal Fleet to be the RFA. Won’t happen

We cold have bought both for non-combatant areas. I don’t know if Canada could have used one if not both in that role. I would have like 2 JSS Atlantic and Asterix in the pacific. Asterix would have to be held back at Hawaii or Australia to keep it out of dangerous areas. So never a free launch.
You're wrong about Asterix not carrying ammunition. It stops in Bedford at least twice a year to load up, and not just for the ships force protection.

You're wrong about Asterix not carrying ammunition. It stops in Bedford at least twice a year to load up, and not just for the ships force protection.
It carries limited ammunition in a few sea cans. It can't carry anything else.

First of all, the ammunition we transfer at sea in the RCN is usually only small stuff like ammo for the various guns (the biggest one of which is the 57 mm gun on the frigates) and for the smaller "expandable" missiles, such as the Chaff, etc.. We don't transfer and reload the larger missiles at sea.

Second, how much ammunition are we expanding at sea these days?

There are no current needs for a large ammunition holding on the iAOR.

First of all, the ammunition we transfer at sea in the RCN is usually only small stuff like ammo for the various guns (the biggest one of which is the 57 mm gun on the frigates) and for the smaller "expandable" missiles, such as the Chaff, etc.. We don't transfer and reload the larger missiles at sea.

Second, how much ammunition are we expanding at sea these days?

There are no current needs for a large ammunition holding on the iAOR.
I was under the impression no one transfers larger missiles at sea. The USN doesn't load SM into VLS. I have seen pics of RAM being loaded.

Man some people really dislike Davies and Asterix eh ?

Can we not just appreciate that we still have underway refueling and resupply capability until JSS comes online. Asterix has done oodles of sea days and has given yeoman service on both coasts. Is she perfect ? Nope, but she is worlds better than no tanker. Also wasn't this project delivered on time and on budget ?
I think we should have bought Asterix and Oblix for use as pure refulers and continued to use them in an quasi RFA role to augment JSS.

I was under the impression no one transfers larger missiles at sea. The USN doesn't load SM into VLS. I have seen pics of RAM being loaded.

I am a tankerman, I have never seen missiles transferred at sea, I have seen a helo transferred at sea; in fact PRE rarely carried more ammunition than she needed for he own tasks. I cant remember a time her ammunition holds were packed. Maybe Op Apollo, but that was a lifetime ago.

Man some people really dislike Davies and Asterix eh ?

Can we not just appreciate that we still have underway refueling and resupply capability until JSS comes online. Asterix has done oodles of sea days and has given yeoman service on both coasts. Is she perfect ? Nope, but she is worlds better than no tanker. Also wasn't this project delivered on time and on budget ?
I think we should have bought Asterix and Oblix for use as pure refulers and continued to use them in an quasi RFA role to augment JSS.

I am a tankerman, I have never seen missiles transferred at sea, I have seen a helo transferred at sea; in fact PRE rarely carried more ammunition than she needed for he own tasks. I cant remember a time her ammunition holds were packed. Maybe Op Apollo, but that was a lifetime ago.
Op Friction.

PRO was packed to the top of the ammo lift….

Regardless of what ships did in the past, the JSS will have the dedicated ammunition storage to support a CSC taskgroup at sea if needed. Asterix does not.

Back