• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

FSTO said:
Because that would make total sense to get rid of an asset prior to the first JSS reaching IOC let alone FOC.

But then again, thats the Canadian way isn't it?

If the Libs are in power I cant seem then extending it or out right buying.  They already tried to kill it, and wont admit we need a second one;  this would be the perfect opportunity from their political standpoint. 

FSTO said:
Because that would make total sense to get rid of an asset prior to the first JSS reaching IOC let alone FOC.

But then again, thats the Canadian way isn't it?

I know the civilian crew when hired were told to expect at least 7 years work, between now and then who knows. At the end of 7 years the hull will be reaching 20 years of age with very little downtime I expect.

Chief Engineer said:
I know the civilian crew when hired were told to expect at least 7 years work, between now and then who knows. At the end of 7 years the hull will be reaching 20 years of age with very little downtime I expect.

20 years is nothing for a hull in RCN ;)  You know that as well I do Chief! lol

Halifax Tar said:
20 years is nothing for a hull in RCN ;)  You know that as well I do Chief! lol

Except its not a RCN hull, its a rental and will be used more than our own AOR's when we had them.

Chief Engineer said:
Except its not a RCN hull, its a rental and will be used more than our own AOR's when we had them.

I dunno our PRO Class did lots of sea time.  It was only the last 5-10 years where they became building with a commission and sea pay.  I did 3 years on PRE, lots of sea days there.

Rental or our own 40 is our 20, just ask the IRO and Cadillac's lol

Maybe we will get lucky and BAE will buy Irving and restructure them. Davie seems to be doing better under foreign ownership.

Navy 'comfortable' with one temporary support ship: Commander

OTTAWA — The commander of the Royal Canadian Navy says he is "comfortable" having only one temporary support ship given the current timeline for the permanent vessels to start arriving.

The federal government is facing calls and pressure from Quebec and opposition parties to lease a second temporary support vessel from Davie Shipbuilding pending the completion of new ships to replace the ones that were retired in 2015.

However Vice-Admiral Ron Lloyd tells The Canadian Press the first ship is meeting the navy's requirements and that his focus is on the two permanent support ships currently being built in Vancouver.

While the scheduled delivery of those vessels has slipped several times over the years, defence officials say they are now reasonably confident the first will be delivered around 2023.

The federal government paid Quebec-based Davie nearly $700-million to lease a converted civilian vessel to be a temporary support ship and it is currently working in the Pacific with the navy.

Advocates for a second ship have said the plan is a win-win by arguing that the navy needs the vessel and the deal will support hundreds of underemployed Davie workers in the Quebec City area.
https://www.timescolonist.com/navy-comfortable-with-one-temporary-support-ship-commander-1.23611092

reasonably confident the first will be delivered around 2023.

Reasonably - 

By sensible standards of judgement; justifiably.
‘a constable who reasonably believes a breach of the peace is about to take place’ - although, in the event, no incidents occurred.
sentence adverb ‘it was assumed, reasonably enough, that the murder had taken place by the pond’ - although, it was later discovered that the victim had fallen in the bath tub.

Confident -

Feeling or showing certainty about something.
‘this time they're confident of a happy ending’ - although their masseuse was less persuaded

around

(used with a number or quantity) approximately.

‘software costs would be around £1,500’
‘I returned to my hotel around 3 a.m’

TCEP - Temporal Circular Error Probable  - 1 year? 2 years?  5 Years?  Something around that?

In that case, what if the JSS is pushed back another 2-3 years. Still comfortable? ...  if so then scrap the JSS project entirely and use the money for something else or don't spend it at all.

Political. It seems they all are at Flag rank with one possible exception.

If comfortable, why build the other two?

Saying something like this makes the military looks stupid to anyone with a clue and leads to taxpayers/voters that have zero knowledge on the matters makes them think that the money is not required. While the political masters rule the military, one does not need to lick their boots. In the end the officer served only the himself, a politician and not the navy, country or taxpayer.

I see Davie is upping their game.

Davie shipyard workers protest in Quebec City

https://globalnews.ca/news/4893671/davie-shipyard-protest-quebec-city/

Chief Engineer said:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4893671/davie-shipyard-protest-quebec-city/
Trudeau said he is looking at ways to provide more work for the shipyard, but a second supply ship is simply not needed right now.
No MV Obelix, no Aiviq, no large ships for the Navy, no large ships for the coast guard, no refits of ships one sneeze away from falling apart, and no refits of Halifax-class ships until 2021.  It is going to be interesting to see what bones Trudeau is going to throw to Davie.  I get the feeling that if Davie disappears, Trudeau is not going to lose any sleep.

The Davie yard is deep in the middle of a strong Torrie riding. This is purely partisan.

ISI is located deep in Liberal territory, no wonder their incompetence keeps getting swept under the rug.

ModlrMike said:
The Davie yard is deep in the middle of a strong Torrie riding. This is purely partisan.
Partisan yes, but one correction - Davie is in deep "Max Bernier Party" territory. If it were a Tory riding, giving a contract to Davie would be a way of swinging some support from the Torys to the Liberals. As it is, Justin is happy to sacrifice their limited chances in that riding to shore up Mad Max's bid to divide the right in the next election.

With the Liberals, Canada's policies, are always not what is good for Canada; what's good for the LPC.

Trudeau quotes:

Trudeau said he is looking at ways to provide more work for the shipyard, but a second supply ship is simply not needed right now.

"Our Canadian Forces are in a state of stagnation," Trudeau said to a crowd of supporters at Pier 21 in Halifax, home to the Canadian Museum of Immigration.In its place, the Liberals said they would launch an "open and transparent competition" to buy more affordable planes to replace Canada's aging CF-18 jets. Trudeau said the money saved by scrapping the F-35 procurement would go primarily to increasing spending on the Royal Canadian Navy.  - 20 Sep 15

“They clung to a plane (F-35) that does not work and is far from working.”

I have numerous F-35's flying over my house day and night. None have fallen out of the sky, but we did have a sonic boom last month.

Good thing we have that renowned international military aviation expert as our PM, saving us from a program that has delivered 355 fighters to 10 of our closest Allies and been used in combat twice, at unit cost below anything else currently on the market...

:facepalm:

Pity no one asked that particular flag officer what would we do if the Astriex was disabled, hit a reef, caught fire or was involved in a collision?

Back